London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
31/05/2013 at 13:48

*!#%€$¥

Noooooooooooo ooooooooo!  (ooooo oooo ooo oo o........)

'tsOK... 'm alright ... (Sniff)

31/05/2013 at 13:49

They were fine until I posted them - honest!

31/05/2013 at 13:53

Oh Birdy- I wish I could help you with the pix!

But the hostas look lovely anyway up 

And there are lots of people here who understand your thoughts ..

If more people gardened instead of fighting maybe the world would be a better place eh?

31/05/2013 at 14:20

Fairygirl wrote (see)

If more people gardened instead of fighting maybe the world would be a better place eh?

Absolutely, Fairygirl. Incidentally my 'fighting' face  is an act -I  really look like this 

i wondered about turning the pots upside down in the greenhouse ... then photographing them... What do you think? ( rhetorical question)

I'm going out into the garden soon - I may be sometime...

31/05/2013 at 14:28

Birdy 

I normally look like this....

31/05/2013 at 15:05

Birdy - I posted my pics from Photobucket and had no issues at all.  How are you posting yours?  This wonky picture thing seems to be a big issue! 

31/05/2013 at 15:33
artjak wrote (see)

John H, I love the angles that you have created; they work very well. I can'y enlarge it, too techy for me, would love to see more pics of the veg area.

Hi artjak,

Here are a couple of photos of the veg patch you asked to see (hopefully they'll upload) I'll just do 2 at a time as yesterday I found they wouldn't upload unless I reduced the file sizes dramatically - these are about 1.2mb each

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24449.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

Closest are 3 rows of Parsnips. I sowed 3 rows of Countess F1 1st week in April & only 3 seeds germinated. Bought these 'Duchess' at a garden centre last weekCloche isn't doing anything at present except keeping soil warm ready for B.Sprouts & Ppl Spr Broccoli (seedings currently in greenhouse) - there are 1/2 a doz Br Sprts t'other side of cloche.

2nd bed has runner beans this year (made a polythene canopy last year to protect some plants)

3rd bed is Broad Beans & Peas (Aquaduce Claudia & Meteor) Not sure if they will be successful this year as there don't seem to be mant bees about

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24450.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

Closer view of the BrdBeans/Peas bed

31/05/2013 at 15:47

Plus a couple more:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24452.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

This is of a Coldframe box I made 2 years ago. Initially to grow 1st Early potatoes, then last year Parsnpis (they did brilliantly). This year I started with carrots but something ate them just after germination. I found some vine weevil grubs so sifted the whole lot & got rid of them. Have re-planted with Dwarf French beans which seem to be doing well: you can just see them through the front perspex glazing. I made the hinged glazed tops this spring as the weather was so cold and used some toughened glass 500mm x 4mm sq sheets I had doing nothing except collecting green algae.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24453.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

Another pic of the new bed. Planted up with some lettuces around edge & a Cougette in the middle and a clump of Chives which have to be moved anyway. Managed to lift them complete with the whole soil ball so they should survive

31/05/2013 at 15:53

Birdy - the nursery at Chelsea won best in show this year by displaying its plants upside down !  If it works for them, why not for you ...  Looks like you have plenty of planting out to keep you busy for a while.

John - everything is so lovely and neat !  And your peas and beans look like they are really getting going - even in this dismal weather we have been having.

KEF
31/05/2013 at 18:28

John you put me to shame...well done.

Bev..I got the potting table because I said to OH I'd posted on make do & mend about sitting like a gnome in GH with old pallet resting on 3 upturned plantpots.

31/05/2013 at 19:10

Birdy13, I feel really sorry for all the trouble you are having with your photos but I have to say...as I scrolled down...I laughed my head off.

John, your veg beds look amazing. I'm dead jealous

31/05/2013 at 20:15

ShropshireLass wrote (see)

Birdy - I posted my pics from Photobucket and had no issues at all.  How are you posting yours?  This wonky picture thing seems to be a big issue! 

It is annoying but I am hamming it up a bit with the  face.

Before, when my discussion window had not toolbar (I still dont know why this was) I used to copy a photo from my library and then paste it in. That seemed to work until I submitted the messageadjust posted just an icon that nobody could open to look at.

Now I have the toolbar (Alleluia! - I think) I tap the Tree icon, tap SelectChoose Existing (photo from my library, tap Upload, and lastly tap Save

At that point the photos arrive in my discussion window

• either wrongly orientated but right themselves when I tap Submit reply (not often though
  • or correctly orientated but when I tap Submit reply they end up on the forum whichever way they decide to, but not usually as seesaw them before I pressed Submit reply.
  • I haven't tried photo bucket yet.

Although I have tried to make my exasperation entertaining (well, it worked for Wintersong????) I don't wish to change the nature of this forum into a 'Photo Workshop' or 'Birdy's Photo Failures'. So I fear it's back to the GW Website managers or GW customer service. 

Incidentally, when I 'disappeared' earlier it was to cut my largish front lawn. I'm so pleased I got up the energy to do it I thought I'd post a photo (No, don't laugh Mrs.....  Where are you all going?...)

... but then thought it might send the sky green! 

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

31/05/2013 at 20:24

Chicky - I'm not sure you've grasped the seriousness of this issue 

Wintersong - I can still hear you sniggering...

31/05/2013 at 21:20

Birdy, how do you water them? No just kidding. As a non techy all I can say is check they are in an upright format before loading them up to the forum...but I'm sure you have done that already. Very interesting for me to see a well organised veg garden. Thank you

31/05/2013 at 21:29

Birdy, you made me smileit looks as if you need to rotate the pictures before you upload them.  Veg beds look really productive John, the pees look great

Spot the shed...........

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24487.jpg?width=221&height=350&mode=max

31/05/2013 at 21:34

HH, nope, I can't spot the shed

31/05/2013 at 21:58

John H and Salino mentioned James Grieve apple earlier. I've got a James Grieve that's been doing well since planting about 4 years ago. Mine has produced fine apples each year except that most of them, when you cut through, have brown flecks throughout the otherwise perfect flesh.

I'm not sure what this is, so I looked through an old Readers' Digest gardening book. The nearest condition I could identify it to was called ''bitterpit"

Is it likely to be "bitterpit"? I'm not convinced because they don't actually taste bitter, but the appearance is offputting.

Does anyone know whether there is any other condition with this description. 

Also what is the remedy?

31/05/2013 at 22:15

Hollie Hock- can see the shed but only just past that wonderful clematis.

John it looks so neat.

Birdy love the pic of the hostas and the bits around it- laptop held upside down but it does have a different quality as it is.

31/05/2013 at 22:16

Are you going to Gardeners World Live at NEC on 12-16th June? If so you could put a question re this to Anne Swithinbank or Matt Biggs. I've booked and received an email form to put questions to Anne & Matt prior to the event so if you are going too you could submit the question. If you're not I could submit it for you as I'm booked to see Anne & Matt's 'Grow Your Own' presentation on the 12th June. (I'd be interested to learn the answer in case my tree suffers the same way). I'm guessing but it could be the really bad weather we had last year - We had hardly any apples last year as frosts in late April early May killed off the blossom on the Apple and Cherry tree. It also killed of a miniature Peach tree.

31/05/2013 at 22:49
http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24491.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

Hibiscus - oiseau bleu

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24494.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

Hibiscus - monstrosus

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24495.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

Cistus pulverulentus (sunset) - complete with the fleece that (eventually) saved its life. All the above were left unprotected from the terrible winter we had. Once I realised the damage being caused I kept the Cistus under fleece and only after the worst frosts were over did I perform remedial surgery on all three shrubs ( pruning like for a rose).

The cistus's leaves had almost all become brown. I cut off these that were completely 'burnt' by the frost as well as pruning back to outward facing buds. I fed them all with liquid feed.

I was amazed and so gratified when some weeks later I found a lot of the half browned Cistus leaves had recovered their green and started to look normal again. I didn't know that could happen - they looked too far gone. I now think the plant is going to flower as beautifully as it did last year.

Both Hibiscus (Hibisci?) looked so dead I almost scopped them out  then I thought of renewing most of the compost, pruning (after the worst frosts) and feeding.

(Obvious really) Now look at them!

(if these pix are wrong way up please pretend you haven't noticed)