London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
31/05/2013 at 22:52

I didn't notice birdy. 

I'd like to see you watering them

31/05/2013 at 23:06
John Harding wrote (see)

Are you going to Gardeners World Live at NEC on 12-16th June? If so you could put a question re this to Anne Swithinbank or Matt Biggs. I've booked and received an email form to put questions to Anne & Matt prior to the event so if you are going too you could submit the question. If you're not I could submit it for you as I'm booked to see Anne & Matt's 'Grow Your Own' presentation on the 12th June. (I'd be interested to learn the answer in case my tree suffers the same way). I'm guessing but it could be the really bad weather we had last year - We had hardly any apples last year as frosts in late April early May killed off the blossom on the Apple and Cherry tree. It also killed of a miniature Peach tree.

John - was your above question related to my reference to the James Grieve apple and the "bitter pit"  condition? If so, I'm afraid I'm not expecting to attend the NEC event but it might be worth asking about the James Grieve.

My son-in-law said he thought the condition might indicate the need for better feeding but who knows? We fed it with potash last year (watered in) and possibly some other feeds (I can't remember now) but the brown flecks were still in many of the fruit. What is interesting (amateur sleuth appearing here) is that some apples escaped the condition. Now how could that happen? Pest rather than disease?

31/05/2013 at 23:08

Nutcutlet - I didn't hear that! 

And, no you wouldn't! 

I'm done for the day. Night night everyone

31/05/2013 at 23:14
Birdy13 wrote (see)

John H and Salino mentioned James Grieve apple earlier. I've got a James Grieve that's been doing well since planting about 4 years ago. Mine has produced fine apples each year except that most of them, when you cut through, have brown flecks throughout the otherwise perfect flesh.

I'm not sure what this is, so I looked through an old Readers' Digest gardening book. The nearest condition I could identify it to was called ''bitterpit"

Is it likely to be "bitterpit"? I'm not convinced because they don't actually taste bitter, but the appearance is offputting.

Does anyone know whether there is any other condition with this description. 

Also what is the remedy?

Hi Birdy,

I decided I would like to know the answer to your question anyway in case the problem occurs with my James Grieve so I've emailed Matt Biggs with your question. When I get an answer I'll post it here. John H

31/05/2013 at 23:15

Zzzzzzzz!

31/05/2013 at 23:17

Thanks John - turn out the light please

01/06/2013 at 00:40

Just wanted to share my miracle plants with you all.  Moved house 6 years ago and put a lovely "Crimson Pirate" Daylily in a plastic bag where it stayed for 5 years.  Last year cleared my front of weeds and planted this up, not believing that it was even still alive! And this is it now:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24504.jpg?width=204&height=350&mode=max

Sorry try as I might I can't get it to load the right way up! But it's a monster now after living in a sainsbury's bag for 5 years.  Next to it is a peony that someone dug up from their garden for me when I moved in 6 years ago and again was just left in a pot.  I thought it was dead and threw it in a black bin

liner ready for taking to the local waste recycling centre.  I then noticed it was alive in there, and what's more it easily split into two so now I have two amazing peonies in my front border that are about to flower.  I can't wait until they do

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24505.jpg?width=204&height=350&mode=max

That's the peony at the other end of the border.  Left for dead but now back to life.  There's nothing like the anticipation of waiting for beautiful flowers to open.

01/06/2013 at 06:31

Nice one

01/06/2013 at 09:14

Amazing, and they say peonies don't like their roots disturbed!

01/06/2013 at 09:45

Thanks! I think all that stuff about peonies is guff.  You might find this page interesting:

http://www.claireaustin-hardyplants.co.uk/article/2/how-to-grow-herbaceous-peonies

Bye all off to start the day!

01/06/2013 at 11:17

I've got a deep red Peony that was in the garden when we moved in in 1967. Originally I tried to get rid of it, dug it up & binned it (silly boy!) I must have left a piece of tuber in the ground 'cos the next year a shoot appeared and flowered. My wife asked me to leave it so I did as I was asked (always pays) and it grew & multiplied. Last year we moved it again because it was in the bed we've just rebuilt. We disposed of about 80% of the tubers and the rest has taken off again - it obviously likes where we've put it. Our soil is Ph7 so fairly alkaline in that part of the garden.

So don't worry about moving, replanting etc. if your soils is neutral to alkaline it should be fine. John H

01/06/2013 at 11:35

The peony thing is total guff. I've lost count of the number of times I've moved them and they just flower again no prob. Claire Austin did talk about it in an interview recently saying it was rubbish.

Lovely pix John- very neat and tidy as everyone has said.I like a tidy garden- just like my kitchen!

Birdy- have you moved to Australia recently? Think that's the prob with the pix 

Try shoving them on another site- photobucket seems popular on here. You can turn them and transfer them easily, although you should be able to rotate them before you post no matter where you've got them. I have mine on thewindows thingy on the laptop and I can do allsorts with them there too.

Giving us all a right good laugh anyway!!!!!

01/06/2013 at 11:39

busylizzie.. wow sounds great to  have so much land ot play with. seems very strange aboutnot being able to sell your house because of the children.. how do any house come up for sale then i wonder

some lovely pics of gardens.. love to see tthem.. i am nosy when it comes to gardens.. always out walking seeing what others are doing in there theirs.

@birdy.. i cant understand why your piccies are not coming out right.. are they right way up when you have addd them into the box before you click submit? strange one it is.

01/06/2013 at 12:08

Daisyheadcase - welcome to Topsyturvy Land and ignore Fairygirl's quip about Australia. I suspect she just doesn't know how to invert a good photo!

I've got a lovely bunch of ... (Now stop that you lot at the back) ... peonies in my back garden! I might even send you all a photo when they are in full bloom ( or, if you are all good I won't!)

This year I actually managed to remember to let them grow through one of those circular grids on sticks. They are at least supported should bad weather strike again.

You know what it can be like: a beautiful show of peonies in full bloom, completely ruined by rain because they are unable to support their own waterlogged weight. Well, although I am not complacently convinced they are immune to rain, touch wood, mine will hopefully be able to stay up a bit longer than usual. 

01/06/2013 at 12:14

Birdy....

Let's see those peonies then!!!

They are beautiful but you're right - the wind and rain really knackers them doesn't it? The one advantage this year of it all being so late is the cherry blossom staying on trees longer. Up here we usually have wild weather as soon as it's out and it's all on the ground before you know it. This year it's staying on the trees and it's lovely!

01/06/2013 at 12:21

Yes Gardeningfantic - they can be the right way up before Submit and wrong after, and  sometimes the wrong way up before Submitting so I hope Submit will right them - and it doesn't.

Also, I don't seem to have any icon for turning the photos round in the discussion window before Submitting. Maybe it's something to do with using an iPad.

Don't join our lovely forum friends in wasting any more  energy on it - I will sort it eventually.

01/06/2013 at 12:25

Now you can just stop that Fairygirl! 

01/06/2013 at 17:52

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24544.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

01/06/2013 at 17:58

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24546.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

01/06/2013 at 17:59

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24547.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max