London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
19/06/2013 at 20:02

Lovely pix Singy - every time I try to get a pic of something it's gone by the time I get the camera! That's a lovely foxglove - what variety is it - do you know?

Art we had a very 'awkward' farmer next to us at last house. He could have made life difficult if you got on the wrong side of him. He had issues with a resident further up the road and was always squabbling with her. We just kept a distance and were always pleasant to avoid any nonsense, so I understand your problem. Not an easy one to resolve satisfactorily 

19/06/2013 at 20:03

Singy those white foxgloves with the footprints are the ones I like best

19/06/2013 at 20:21

@Fairygirl its a Digitalis Excelsior Hybrid, its a shop bought one, first plant i bought along with its neighbouring pink lupin, think it was 2 for £5 at B&Q back in March or April.  Here is another pic taken from shin level which contains my currently unoccupied insect hotel.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25835.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

This one is huge though, I bought another which is in the front garden which is no where near as big or densely packed with flowers.

Being a begginer i wish i had bought more flowers back in april rather than lots of alpines which while there ok, they dont have the wow factor. 

19/06/2013 at 20:35

Singy - that foxglove certainly has the wow factor .  Amazingly tall, and so many flowers !

19/06/2013 at 20:53

FairyG, I will have to consult about this; I don't want to sue the guy as my neighbour did, (successfully) I just want it to stop.

19/06/2013 at 21:41

What a beautiful foxglove Singy!

19/06/2013 at 21:54

art it's a hard one. I'd be furious if it happened to me but as I witnessed - these guys can make life very unpleasant for you. They can 'accidentally' destroy stuff and feign ignorance. Can you approach him and say something like 'I don't know if you realised your sprayer was so close to my garden but it was and it's killed some of my plants' etc.? Ultimately you have to go on living there and it could make your life a misery if you go about it the wrong way. Is there anyone else you could go to for advice?

19/06/2013 at 23:17

Artjak: so sorry to hear of your farmer problem. There is a large field adjoining my back garden which from time to time is sprayed or the corn gets cut sending great clouds of corn dust into the air. I may have imagined it but it seems that the wind direction is more often than not blowing away from our row of back gardens - as though the farmer or his labourer is checking it out before embarking on a job that could impact on our gardens.

Whilst I'm not naive enough to believe any farmer can or will arrange his schedule to accommodate neighbours all the time I would have thought that they do have some choice some of the time to control when their work will affect nearby residents. 

I'm wondering whether the psychology of an approach which seems to reflect a high expectation of him, eg of him being a reasonable man, might be worth trying before getting at loggerheads - at least that way he can't pretend you've upset him.

If that doesn't work you can always have a solicitor's letter as a Plan B.

Also, what about approaching your local parish council (or equivalent) by telephoning the Clerk of the Parish Council (or equivalent) for advice. These organisations exist for the local inhabitants but often have close ties with local farmers too. Depending how your particular local council works, that might be a way of getting advice and having more influence on the situation - especially if other residents have had similar problems.

20/06/2013 at 09:35

I wonder about contacting defra re the weedkiller Birdy. There is a route to go down if you have a complaint about a farmer but when i googled I only found out what to do in america. Parish council would be a good starting point.

Our parish council were very helpful when the gravel digging contractors were using reversing bleepers against their planning conditions

20/06/2013 at 17:31

Singy, nice foxglove. They are my favourite plants, along with alliums, clematis & lupins. It could be worth you collecting the seeds and sowing for next year.

20/06/2013 at 18:39

Where do i find the seeds? some of the flowers have started falling off now.

20/06/2013 at 18:48

Where the flower was, a green seed pod will form, so you end up with seed pods all the way up the stem. When the seed pod  turns brown it will be full of seeds. You can either collect them and sow in a seed tray, or scatter them about where you want them to grow.

20/06/2013 at 18:56

Artjak, as the daughter and sister of farmers, can I suggest that in the first instance you presume he/she will be  reasonable - it may well be that a contractor did the spraying for him and didn't obey the industry code of practice - it will be in the farmer's interest to take it up with the contractor as well as yours, so a reasonable letter pointing out the problem would be the way to start.

However I do admit that in agriculture, as in other industries, there are some cantankerous bu$$ers - so, if you get an unreasonable response (or no response at all) I suggest that the place to start would be the Health and Safety Executive http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/guidance/industries/pesticides/topics/using-pesticides/spray-drift .

20/06/2013 at 19:23
Singy wrote (see)

Where do i find the seeds? some of the flowers have started falling off now.

Crocus suggest the following procedure:

Saving seed

Cover the flowerspikes with paper bags (such as the those used by bakers to wrap baggettes) to collect the seeds. When the seedheads have dried, shake them to remove the seed and scatter them where you want them to grow. Seeds for other varieties can be sown from early spring to late summer in a coldframe or directly outside in prepared soil. Self-sown seedlings that occur in other parts of the garden are best transplanted when the leaves are about 10cm long. Make sure the newly moved plants are watered very well to help them establish because they have very fine roots which can be damaged easily.

20/06/2013 at 19:55

thanks  fidget/sue

20/06/2013 at 20:14

Dove, it isn't pesticide; it is weedkiller, would that website be appropriate for that? I spoke to a notary this morning who will get one of the solicitors to advise me. As I said above, I have been told this person is not friendly. Thank you all for your kind advice, I still have to think this through. My fear is that he will spray again while everything is flourishing, thanks to the bad spring not everything was as developed as it normally would be on May 1st.

It has taken 12 years and a lot of money to develop this garden from a paddock, I cannot sit back and let this happen.

20/06/2013 at 20:29

Hmm not sure why this just got posted again. removed anyway now.

20/06/2013 at 22:02

Artjak, Weedkiller is potentially more dangerous than pesticide (having had a brother in law who died from weedkiller poisoning 30 years ago it's something I know about only too well). OK weedkiller formulas have changed over the years and what you can buy in the Garden Centre is totally different to that which was available 30 years ago, but what is available to professionals and commercial people today may be a whole different issue, and what comes over into a residential area (accidentally or carelessly) may be another matter. I would certainly follow it up, but, as 'Dove' says, it may not serve you best to go in with all guns blazing.

I would ask first what chemicals were used in the spraying?, can he/they supply you with a copy of the COSHH details relating specifically to the chemicals used?  who carried out the work? is it likely to happen again and if so when? and what safeguards has he/they put in place to protect third parties and their property?.  This will do a number of things: 1). It will demonstrate you have very real concerns over what happened, not just as a matter of inconvenience but on H&S grounds. 2). It will show you are asking reasonable questions, 3). That you expect reasonable answers: 4). that you are prepared to investigate the Health & Safety issues relating to the product he/they used. It may also pay to ask for a copy of their 3rd party liability insurance. Every business is legally obliged to have this and it will indicate you are sufficiently aware of his obligations and are prepared to follow through with legal representation if he/they refuse to comply.  Hope this helps. John H

21/06/2013 at 07:17

ping

21/06/2013 at 07:34

well done little-ann 

Pain in the b*** aren't they?