Start a new thread

61 to 80 of 1,784 replies

Joyce21

Berghill.  Beautiful. Really envious of the space to create such a display.

Fairygirl

Gorgeous Berghill. Are those little Aconites with them too?

Mine look like this 

Definitely going to get some for my  pots with dwarf  Iris, after Obelixx  talking about it yesterday.  These are less productive now, although I love them, but snowdrops could be put in there instead.

Might get some more of them as well though! 

I have to admit that I tittered when reading BM's comment about hoar's frost...it's in the singular, BM  

Berghill

Last picture of mine has Aconites in it. There are some in with the other Snowdrops but not very many so not visible.

Berghill , fabulous display 

Fairygirl

They're really pretty Berghill. I think I had some in a previous garden, but I really can't remember  

Did they establish quite easily as bulbs? 

Advertisement

Berghill

If you buy dried Galanthus bulbs from any normal outlet then they are generally dead. They really hate being dried out. They developed the bulb form to avoid shade from deciduous trees. They are what is known as 'naked' bulbs. In other words unlike say a Tulip, they do not have a coat which protects them from dessication. If you want some in your garden then buy them either 'in the green' or as potted up plants or as freshly dug bulbs (They should not be out of the ground for more than a week or so).

Our Snowdrops were here when we moved, all I have done is to spread them out over a greater area. We do have some named forms in other places though. All of them were bought as growing plants though.

Fairygirl

I should have been clearer Berghill - I meant your aconites as bulbs !  

I've always bought snowdrops in the green because of the drying out issue, and will probably get a few more for pots and other places in the garden. Don't think I'd ever bother trying them as bulbs although some people have success with them. A good supplier would make a difference I expect 

Berghill

Same stricture applies to Aconites too.The bulbs on sale are effectively dead. Major difference is the length of time it takes for Aconite seed to produce a flowering size bulb. Seed has to be fresh though.

Last edited: 03 February 2017 08:52:48

First crocus

Helebores still coming up

And snow drops

Joyce21

Today's flowers.  Most hellebores are still in tight bud.

Fairygirl

Gorgeous pix Logan and Joyce - is the last one a Hellebore too, Joyce? Beautiful.

Thanks for that Berghill. I might look out for some Aconites in the green then - if I can shoehorn them in near the snowdrops. Too many other things there which follow on, but they do look good together. 

I can't remember if my aconites grew when I had them before (possibly not) but they would have been bought as bulbs. 

Joyce21

Fairy, yes it's a hellebore but I can't remember which one.  The red double one is still in tight bud.

Berghill

Logan, those Hellebore leaves really could do with removal. the plant does not need them now and they are just a source of potential infection.

Fairygirl

I remove scabby looking ones on a regular basis aym. It will depend on the hellebore, but it's mainly when they're budding up and flowering.

As Berghill says, it only leads to disease, but it also allows the flowers to show well, especially as we often don't  see the flowers well because of their habit   

Fairygirl

Now is the ideal time because leaves have taken some winter weather stress and they're not looking great. A little bit of judgement when looking at your plants too. 

It's like any plant really - good ventilation and air flow means less disease, so it's about good practice to keep the plants healthy, as much as - or more than - the aesthetics. It also allows the flowers to be pollinated by early insects too, as they're not obscured by foliage. They're late winter plants generally speaking, so the sunlight they get isn't that big a factor regarding their health. Dappled shade is the ideal site.

Mine get very little sun, as it's too low to reach them  at this time of year, and we don't get much anyway. I have some which flower almost continuously right through the year - Blue Lady. Good value 

Advertisement

Berghill

I start in January, but that is because it take such a long time to et round them all. I noticed that Bodnant Gardens had cut theirs down a lot earlier than that. They are a lot milder than we are though. I also have just dug up a hundred or so seedlings from round some yellow flowered upright facing ones.  Good time to do that. Also planted about 50 in the wall outside the garden (road side verge which belongs to us). Mainly to get rid of the plants rather than any aesthetic considerations. Splitting plants is best done in September though. They form new roots as the soil cools down.

Last edited: 03 February 2017 21:10:03

Perki

Lovely pictures, cheers me up knowing spring nearly here  

I haven't noticed any snowdrops showing here yet 

Last edited: 03 February 2017 21:23:01

aym280 says:

Joyce: I wish I had that many snowdrops!  The last hellebore is sooooooo pretty and so is the burgundy one.

Logan: you have a lot of gems there - look at the big clumps of hellebores .. Wonderful! 

See original post

Aym, thanks. Their all self seeded plants.