Start a new thread

1,721 to 1,740 of 1,906 replies

Argyranthemum

Built myself a theater today it will be useful for putting hardy potted plants on during the winter and summer flowering pot plants in the summer. I got the idea from the National trust gardens that I have visited.

Wow, please could you come and build me one?! Faaantastic

Liriodendron

It was a lovely Autumn day today, so I popped out to take a few photos in the garden while the sun was on it.

Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku'.  Sky almost as blue as Pat's in Oz.  

Parrotia persica, Persian Ironwood.

Hesperantha coccinea 'Pink Princess'.  It was in shade by the time I got to it... sun doesn't last long in my garden this time of year.

Joyce21

Lovely pics Liri and what a view you have 

Advertisement

Liriodendron

Thanks Joyce.  We chose the house because of the view...  

Yes, the setting of your house and garden are stunning Liri and I particularly love the colour of your Acer palmatum and the Hesperantha coccinea - I am not familiar with this delicate flowered plant - is it a biennial or does it grow from a bulb, it looks like a type of gladioli?

Joyce21

GD. Hesperantha are South African in origin,,,,corms

this is the deep pink form

I must get some of Liri's paler form..

That's the one I have too Joyce, would love the paler one, can you let me know if you find one?

Liriodendron

Hesperantha used to be called Schizostylis, and you might still find it under that name, LilyP.  Mine came from the Harrogate flower show.  It seems to be completely hardy and spreads happily in partial shade for me.  I've just looked it up on line and it seems pretty readily available.  

GD, that Acer has wonderful coral pink stems - beautiful in winter.

Thanks Liro, I will have a look

some photos from this morning

These gardens are amazing, nicely planted and laid out very professionally, a lot of thought has gone into their appearance.

I love our garden but we didn't design it, there are bits here and bits there although I think perhaps the front garden was professionally planted up in the beginning (1880's).  I think at one time our back garden was a huge cabbage patch (100's of them I vaguely recall) before we lived here.

Thanks for the info regarding the lovely Hesperantha - I will certainly be looking them up, I am assuming the corms are planted in the spring to flower at this time of year?

Joyce21

LP, garden is still looking good for this time of year especially what I think is your pink flowered spirea.  Mine finished flowering a few weeks ago.

Papi Jo

@Argyranthemum,

Great construction work, bravo!

@Liriodendron

What a superb view of your house in its environment, I sincerely envy you. Lovely autumn colours, well-captured, esp. the Parrotia persica. Lovely Hesperantha coccinea 'Pink Princess' too. I've been given cuttings but they only produced leaves, no flowers this year, maybe I'll have to be patient.

@Lily Pilly

Great pics of autumn in your garden.

My little contribution, photos taken this morning.

Symphyotrichum pilosus var. pringlei 'Monte Cassino'

Symphyotrichum x 'Vasterival'

Persicaria virginiana

Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus'

Argyranthemum

@ Lilly Pilly 

Great garden looks like it gives you plenty of work

@ Papi Jo

Nice pictures of your Michaelmas Daisies my favorite flower at this time of year

Advertisement

Liriodendron

LilyP - what a wonderful garden!  I love the structure formed by the box hedging and gravel paths, with beautiful loose planting in between.  

Papi Jo, the house in the photo is sadly not mine - ours is behind me in the photo, and is about a quarter the size of that one (which is an old vicarage).  Our garden is a strange shape, and extends down the slope only as far as the yellow acer; it's around 4 times as wide as it is long.  We borrow that fabulous view though...

Liriodendron

Papi Jo - lovely photos!  Your Persicaria is beautiful.

Thank you Liro.......Very loose!!

I have learnt so much from everyone else's photos.  Yours have inspired!

thanks to everyone who has commented. That's what keeps us going isn't it?

Busy-Lizzie

My garden is getting rather messy and autumnal, petunias in pots are over but the begonias are still OK. There is still some colour from dahlias, salvias and Michaelmas daisies etc.

Liriodendron

I like the "informality" of your autumn garden, BL.