London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 6°C
21 to 38 of 38 messages
10/12/2012 at 23:49

Thank you Gardengirl,  I have 2 chairs done in the same fashion one is the lime green and the other is vivid pink, I have another one that I rescued from a skip so I think that might have to be purple as I just love purple,  why not have colour in the garden apart from the flowers I painted my shed cream and green,  why not it's better than the boring brown.

11/12/2012 at 22:00

Rain. Think your tables fab.

I tried painting my shed this summer, not one of my successful projects, the paint is already peeling.  

12/12/2012 at 16:10

It was raining or hot sun this year, I guess you painted the shed in the sun - it must have dryed fast and that might be why paint peeling already.

What colour did you paint the shed?

12/12/2012 at 16:24

Success Rain. Great table.

You're not the only one with 'wash out' planters/baskets this year. In my case it was my dahlia pots, the sweetpeas & all the vegs!!

Next yr nemaslug again! J.

12/12/2012 at 16:31
plumstrudle wrote (see)

Success Rain. Great table.

You're not the only one with 'wash out' planters/baskets this year. In my case it was my dahlia pots, the sweetpeas & all the vegs!!

Next yr nemaslug again! J.

Hello plumstrudle I had no luck with sweet peas, last year loads of sweet peaS.

I use nemaslug not cheap but does work sometimes but a lot of rain might have wasted my first lot, made it a bit watered loged for them to work most of veg got eaten by slugs they like the wet weather. Not fair

12/12/2012 at 22:46

Have you painted anything else in the garden?

13/12/2012 at 15:08

Not yet Gardengirl but the bird table's look interesting !  don't know if the birds would mind  

13/12/2012 at 15:15

I have painted my bird table purple at the bottom and green poles and sides of roof sure birds don't mind, that is when I had to make the roof better as thatch had broken changed to black roof felting that I found.

Dont have a picture yet

13/12/2012 at 15:50

Hmmm sounds good gardengirl,  think I will give it a try in the Spring,  also have a little wishing well that I rescued from a skip so that might get a make over as well,  watch this space,  at present it has some Violas growing in also need some new bit of wood for the top as it's rotted but I think it will have to wait for spring as well.

13/12/2012 at 20:52

Gardengirl. The shed was dark brown to start with so after an undercoat painted it a very pale green. It wasn't quite what I wanted, the paint seemed to slip off the undercoat and the undercoat didn't go on very well either.

13/12/2012 at 21:01

did you use wood paint?

13/12/2012 at 21:16

Yes, I think so, it was indoor wood paint though 

14/12/2012 at 13:52

Zoomer,  this is my shed,  I gave it 2 coats of undercoat and 2 gloss,  up to now it's been OK but maaybe the frost will do some damage but I Like painting.

http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/rainjustlearning/shed/?albumview=slideshow

14/12/2012 at 14:44

The paint I used was cuprinol garden shades which comes in all colours for outdoor wood. You can buy samples of paint to test the colour out which helps when knowing what colour to use.

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/index.jsp

Nice painted shed Rain well done and with a good water butt on side

14/12/2012 at 15:04

Thanks for sharing your ideas Rain and your table is great

I painted my shed with wilko's answer to cuprinol last summer and it was terrible, 3 coats of undercoat and 4 coats of paint and lots of preperation and it still peeled but I guess you get what you pay for sometimes.

I also bought some really lovely 'garden' paint from another major DIY shop this year and painted my new gate and 3 trellis panels which seemed to take forever (but was very therputic), I followed all the instructions and am really fed up because it seems to be washing off in the rain.

I noticed you mix PVA with paint does this work well?

I love paintig things in the garden it brightens it up on dull days like today and gardengirl you've set me off with the bird table  

14/12/2012 at 19:29

The PVA  makes the paint adhere to whatever you are painting also it last's longer as the paint pots are only Matt Emulsion so not water proof so makes it water proof as well,  the first chair I did was 2 years ago but it need's doing again but  it was my fault for painting it in full sun so it dried before I'd managed to paint it properly but it's no hardship as I can just sit in the garden and put the parasol up so it's in the shade,  at the end of the day the tester pots are only £1.00 and then the PVA glue which last's forever,  so my table only cost me £7.00 plus £3.00 for the PVA but I still have loads left 

14/12/2012 at 20:08

I cut corners and just gave it one coat of each.Will try again come spring

15/12/2012 at 09:19

Thats a great idea Rain and opens up so many other colours than the typical sage greens and creams you see in the garden section, thanks  

love the santa smileys

email image
21 to 38 of 38 messages