London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Edd
08/03/2014 at 18:54

I have to agree. The other lady in the rose garden, said it was one of here childhood memories and inspired her into Roses, Then we only got a few close up flower shots of Roses with names (subtitled) not what i wanted to see but very thankful.

I do think the presenters try and probably take many days doing this. Then its down to the shooting of the program and getting the light right. (sun always shines on TV, remember) After that the editor (being a bit of a jobs worth) Cuts and cuts and cuts to the bare minimum and there is not much left, unfortunately and i bet the editor is not a gardener! Then the sound goes off and i think what do we pay for again?

I felt that i was just waiting to hear someone say 'we are all in this together'.

I will leave it there. Perhaps this would have been better in the rant thread, as i never started out to say this.

Overall a bit disapointed.

Edd

08/03/2014 at 19:06

I agree with Edd!  I think the problem with lots of TV programmes these days is that the people who produce/organise them aren't in any way personally involved with the subject they deal with.  This is bound to result in the sort of arty-farty shots which we see in lots of programmes, where what we really want to see are clear and steady close-up shots of what the presenter is actually doing.  It's so easy to blame whoever "fronts" these programmes - they probably have no real  "say" in what is eventually transmitted. 

A few years ago I was present when one of those "property programmes" was being made, and it was interesting to see what finally ended up on my TV screen!  At least one of the shots was repeated four times...........  I'm sure the car involved didn't actually go down that particular bit of lane as often as that!

08/03/2014 at 19:13

BBC 2 are looking for 'talented amateur kitchen gardeners' for a programme called The Allotment Challenge.  The closing date for applying is 13th March.  Anyone like a go?  You can find details by looking on 'Be on a Show' (BBC).  I'm sure there must be some one on the forum who could be brilliant at this.  

Edd
08/03/2014 at 20:29

Thanks Forester2

It now looks like they want allotment gardeners and chefs in the same program! With presenters with character. What happened to the Organic presenters of recent past that took over all the shows and had river cottages and proper gardening skills, that were trial and error. 

What went wrong or ???

I feel a rant coming on so will swap threads.

Get it off your chest. 

BITING MY TONGUE. Sorry

Edd.

08/03/2014 at 21:29

Thanks guys, if it hadn't been for your comments I wouldn't have realised the actual programme lost sound. I thought it was a fault on my freeview recorder. Thought it was a sorting out job for tomorrow and now I don't have to do it. I'll re record The repeat.

09/03/2014 at 12:14

I missed the repeat this morning but caught it on Iplayer. The wet garden item is quite interesting although there were lots of plant close ups with no accompanying names so a lot of the time most people would have had no idea what was in the garden.

Monty did give some specifics in his lead up to Joe's piece and that was quite good.

At least I have seen it (or rather, heard it) now.

09/03/2014 at 15:00
Beechgrove gardens returns on 6 April. I only discovered this last year when BBC2 picked it up from BBC Scotland. Excellent programme with enough technical bits, planting guidance, seed trials etc to keep me happy. With this and GW my garden TV is complete.
09/03/2014 at 17:22

We currently have James Martin on food and cooking 5 days a week plus Mary Berry on Mondays and Saturday Kitchen on Saturdays plus Best of on Sundays and the Hairy Bikers on Thursdays.  

It seems to me that we could do with a similar spread of programmes on gardens and gardening promoting good techniques, how to make life easier and how to manage our ingredients - soil, weather, time, local climate, plants and equipment.  I'd be happy with a few prcatical gardening repeats too but not the A to Z they're churning out again here and there.  There were some lovely programmes on front garden design in the past as well as GH's special series and AT's How to series.

I did eventually watch the repeated GW this afternoon but I fell asleep.............  Kept it though so I can watch the bog garden again.  That was fab and I just happen to have a bog that needs sorting.

10/03/2014 at 14:36

Grr missed it. Hadn't realised it was back on. Thank goodness for iPlayer!

10/03/2014 at 14:59
You didn't miss much imo.

As far as Beechgrove is concerned, if you have FreeSat you can watch it in the UK as it is being transmitted in Scotland.
10/03/2014 at 15:22

I also thought it was my telly on the blink.  Glad it wasn't.  And caught the BBC Wales transmission on Saturday too.  Didn't think of subtitles!

And I agree about time-wasting shots.  I want to see (and I suppose I'm in the majority here?) how to do things.  This means lots of close-ups of hands doing them, v. little of talking heads (especially the awful Carol! (ducks!)) and even less dog.

Monty's great (the repeat of his Desert Island Discs on R4Extra last week brought tears to my eyes) but it's the tasks that are really important.

10/03/2014 at 16:35

lovely to have the programme back but the sound went and spoiled it .

10/03/2014 at 18:21

I think its unlikely there will be a gardening programme thats purely "how to" and still have it occupying a peak slot on a Friday evening.

Personally I look forward to the programme and it signals the start of a new gardening year.

14/03/2014 at 22:23

Tonight, Monty gives every reason under the sun to explain the demise of his beloved box hedging. The fact remains that it has been a disaster area ever since the program was first broadcast from Longmeadow two years ago.......The reason - he confessed to stupidly cutting it back hard in October.

That's when you invited in box blight, Mr Don!

14/03/2014 at 23:48

indeed so David K. The actions of a rank amateur exposed as such.

15/03/2014 at 09:25

Not a big deal really, but I do appreciate honesty and I would like him to be more open about who actually does the nuts & bolts gardening at Longmeadow.

15/03/2014 at 10:52

Really liked yesterday programme was recording it as well but recorder messed up no signal, so thanks for letting all know about the repeat Sunday morning will try to re tune dvd player then record again

Love the sweet peas and will start my seeds of this week and the garden in Cornwall so beautiful

email image
21 to 37 of 37 messages