London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
21 to 22 of 22 messages
17/05/2014 at 20:16

Propagation?  Absolutely but not fussy house plants in such quantities perhaps.

Class envy?  No.  Like i said, I have a large garden and a paddock but no orchard.    If you took an aerial photo of the major population centres of TV land and their gardens it would be Victorian, Edwardian, 30s, post war and recent housing developments with ever decreasing garden sizes plus rents or mortgages, not to mention energy bills and living costs, that leave little left for buying fancy garden equipment. 

I am fortunate in having plants to propagate and swap with fellow gardening enthusiasts and the skills and experience to do it successfully but I do have friends who are novice gardeners for whom most of last night's show would have been completely irrelevant or beyond their means..

GW should be practical and inspirational and can do so that more people feel both able as well as inspired to have a go and discover the joys of growing plants.   Delia may have had an army of helpers and tesres but her recipes work and are easy to do in a normal kitchen.  Monty also has help but it's never seen or mentioned.

17/05/2014 at 21:46

Class envy?  Where did that come from? 

I come from a rural area where lots of people have quite large gardens, certainly larger than the one I have here - there are still lots of those people you know, and they need programmes that relate to them too.  The traditional English council house has quite a large back garden.  My daughter and her husband live in a rented Victorian apartment in the centre of a large town - they share a decent sized garden with the apartment below them. 

And what about Carol Klein and the young couple in their garden? -  all the plants they'd collected, been given, grown from cuttings or whatever - doing things on a budget - that was all covered in the programme.  

Monty has written about having had help at Longmeadow at the insistence of the BBC ever since GW has been filmed from there - it's on record and has been quoted on this forum.  

Not everyone is into 'fussy houseplants' but some people are and propagating and selling them is often a useful way of raising funds for all sorts of things, whether it's a local gardening club or a PTA bring and buy.  There's very little about houseplants on the programme, why complain when they're covered occasionally, particularly when it's incidental to the demonstration of a technique that can be applied elsewhere.

I found plenty that was practical and quite a bit that was inspirational in yesterday evening's programme.  I'm sorry that you didn't but we are all different.  

email image
21 to 22 of 22 messages