London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 32 messages
01/11/2012 at 19:51

I note with dismay that GW is going into hibernation mode after tomorrow's programme - whereas to gardeners of the 'old school' (like me) now is the START of the gardening year, the time for making plans, preparing the ground for next year's crops, organising crop rotation, making leafmould, collecting wood ash and manure, turning out compost bins, ordering seeds, making changes to the garden, etc., etc., and should be an exciting time, not a dormant one.  Where is the guidance for new gardeners or am I old-fashioned and should just ignore the garden until Easter as GW seems to do every year?

01/11/2012 at 20:01

There is still a programme next week-series finishes then

This has happened ever year since the series started in the last century-looking at it logically would you say what you will be doing be compulsive viewing?

01/11/2012 at 20:01

This is a question that is asked every year, I appreciate the production crew may want a break but I would like to see them come back in February.

I also think we could have half hour slots of all the gardens they have visited this year. I am sure other posters could think of some other specials that they would like to see.

01/11/2012 at 20:04
Yakram, couldn't agree more with you. Gardening programmes are popular and wanted. How can we get the message across to the tv programme producers? All year round gardening programmes, is that too much to ask for? Wonder if Daniel Haynes can present a case for us?
01/11/2012 at 20:09

Verdun-this site has little to do with Gardeners World TV-you need to contact the BBC direct

Monty Don has filmed a series on French Gardens that is due to be shown at some point-there maybe other garden shows that we don't know about and there is usually a GW at Christmas

01/11/2012 at 20:53

A dream I know but hour long in season, half  an hour inwinter, with ideas about planning gardens, re-cap etc

03/11/2012 at 11:25
sotongeoff wrote (see)

There is still a programme next week-series finishes then

This has happened ever year since the series started in the last century-looking at it logically would you say what you will be doing be compulsive viewing? 

Gardeners are always looking forward.

Lord Reith envisaged television as a tool to educate and inform throughout the year.  The world of horticulture is worried that amateur gardeners have either forgotten, or do not know, that the autumn period is best for planting shrubs, etc and the winter period is best for garden projects to make the garden look stunning in the spring, summer and autumn.  Whilst gardening in these periods may not be riveting, the work is essential for good results the following year, and the only gardening programme hibernating over these important months does not help those who wish to know how to garden properly.  

03/11/2012 at 11:29

There is still the rather quaint GQT on Radio 4

I have noticed that the tv planner shows that although next week is the last GW as such it doesn't disappear there must be something following at 8.30 on Fridays -probably some specials.

03/11/2012 at 11:57

almost every visit up the allotment in the last good few weeks iv been on mi tod, nobody in sight and iv come to  love it, iv named the allotment as a 2 allotment,, it seems a lot of people agree? they find it 2wet ,2hot,2cold,2busy,2hard, they really don't know what there missing ,Wellies on, mug of coffee, sat in front of mi little pond planning  for next year, nature allover the place,absolute heaven,   but must get some welly inserts my feet are starting to feel the cold a bit even with mi thermal socks  on, so good luck all and as i speak the suns gone and rain has arrived

good luck all

Alan4711

03/11/2012 at 16:07

you are right,gardening in winter may not be that exciting,but its lovely to get out and sweep the leaves ,mess about tiding up the shed and general things,to feel the seasons,the cold hands with a hot mug of tea ,always something to do or plan.

03/11/2012 at 16:22

Alan & Rose - I quite agree and the best thing of all is that you have to stop and come in around 4 when it starts getting dark .

03/11/2012 at 16:31

Caz/Rose - just come in myself for a nice cup of tea! After the last 2 weekends away I have spent an hour today bringing in most of the remaining tomatoes from he greenhouse, emptying pots and about 4 hours raking leaves. I have loved it!

Yakram - sound words. I pine for gardening programmes in winter.

03/11/2012 at 18:09

Can't see that there's much to miss really (except Nigel, maybe)....you know all about putting your leaves in a chicken-wire enclosure, or a plastic bag by now and putting them on a solid path and running over them with your Honda.....Not to mention that priceless annual about using two pieces of wood to lift them - he must think we're still walking around in a loin cloth, with a club in our hands.

I'll certainly not miss him propelling his wheelbarrow around, every Friday!

03/11/2012 at 19:50
David K wrote (see)

Can't see that there's much to miss really (except Nigel, maybe)....you know all about putting your leaves in a chicken-wire enclosure, or a plastic bag by now and putting them on a solid path and running over them with your Honda.....Not to mention that priceless annual about using two pieces of wood to lift them - he must think we're still walking around in a loin cloth, with a club in our hands.

I'll certainly not miss him propelling his wheelbarrow around, every Friday!

And that is the problem David with the programme if advice gets repeated -rather like the annual lawn spiking and dressing exercise-that we seem to have been spared this year-we say oh no that again- whereas new gardeners go- crikey that is a great idea I wouldn't have thought of that-bits of wood, using the mower as a vacuum,bagging leaves -simple thanks Monty-

-the usual you can't please etc.................

03/11/2012 at 21:55

At least we know that Nigel is alright now after his accident last month,  he's such a love and I miss him already,  hopefully by the time the programme comes back in the spring he will be 100%.

04/11/2012 at 08:38

I almost fell asleep watching this week's GW. Most of us have seen gathering leaves countless times. Though complete novices may have found this informative.

The title of the thread uses the word Hibernation.

That's what nature does. Nature shuts down for Winter. Gardeners who are gardening with nature will want to do the same.

There are of course some people who want to fight nature. They are determined to keep busy at all costs, and blindly fool themselves into thinking that this is the most exciting time of the gardening year.

Just look at some of the propsals listed in the first topic - 'making plans, organising crop rotation, ordering seeds'. Those are desk jobs. That's not real gardening. You might as well sit inside by a warm fire, playing FarmVille on your computer.

Personally, I don't want to see a series of 20 programs about gathering leaves and shifting snow.

04/11/2012 at 08:51
Georg, I was bored too with GW last week. Prob nostalgia....sure it is...but Geoff Hamilton used to "inspire" me with his enthusiasm, his attention to PLANTS, his ideas,etc. I would like a gardening programme for those of us with a bit more than basic knowledge, plant associations, info about new plants, etc. Garden newbies will still find such a programme interesting I think
04/11/2012 at 09:50

Still on the 'hibernating' theme, we were once again reminded to check our bonfires for hibernating hedgehogs.......anyone tell me how that supposed to work?

Anyway, baked hedgehog is supposed to be delicious!!!!

04/11/2012 at 10:27

now that's so cruel,baked hedgehog is full of needles,I think as you pick up the rubbish and feel if there is a lump that might be a rat or hedgehog,I think you ll find the rat will bite and squeal and the hedgehog  might just yawn.alternately you could start with a small pile and chuck stuff on top that you have checked,that way you can have fun with the bonfire  with a nice warm mug of soup to keep you going.

04/11/2012 at 10:53

Don't shoot the messenger....much prefer a cup of cocoa meself......Anyway, I find my daily bowl of All Bran keeps me going.

Other matters, I was just querying the logistics of checking something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicenouse/1159970860/

1 to 20 of 32 messages