Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gardening as a career

I don't drive and never want to (I really don't have the mindset for it). Is gardening as a  career still viable? I really really want to get into it but this one little thing is stopping me from moving forward.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Hi rubyleaf, it all depends on if you want to work for yourself or for someone​ else.image

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,538

Hi Ruby, I'm currently on my gardening round, it's the best job in the world but I would say unless you have a lot of local work, then a driving licence and car is essential, I didn't pass my test until I was forty but it changed my life. Best of luck with it all! ?

• Ruby, go for it.  The horticulture trade doesn't pay well, so, actually, you're better off working for yourself in the industry. If you know your stuff, then £20 per hour is charged (where I am and paid, too!). However, £12 -£15 is the norm.  The best job in the world, when the weather's right, the job's gone well and the client is pleased. A bit grim when it doesn't go to plan.  No better way to learn about plants, horticulture techniques, the countryside and its wildlife

H-C 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

If you work for yourself you really need a car, you have to transport tools and a lawnmower at least. Unless your close neighbours would employ you.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

The only way you could sensibly garden for a living without transport for tools and equipment is to get a job in a large garden - private, NT, English Heritage etc - or else in the local parks department.   You would also get on the job training in all of those places which would lead to career progression.

If you want to be a self-employed, jobbing local gardener then transport of some sort is essential so you can take all the equipment and maybe even plants you need as well as get between jobs if you have two or three clients in one day.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

I suspect that some kind of formal qualification would be required these days to get into most of the areas Obelixx has outlined.  That would require time at horticultural college.  One possible alternative would be working at a garden centre, or preferably a plant nursery, where you would be more likely to learn from the ground up (excuse the pun).

• RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 260
    Obelixx says:

The only way you could sensibly garden for a living without transport for tools and equipment is to get a job in a large garden - private, NT, English Heritage etc - or else in the local parks department.   You would also get on the job training in all of those places which would lead to career progression.

See original post

Thats what I'm after. It makes more sense considering I can't drive to various locations and tbh I prefer working in a larger garden.

There is a course a local Botanical garden which I wanted to take. But I wanted to make absolutely sure it wouldn't be a waste of time. If it can lead to career progression then I will take it.

[quote]I suspect that some kind of formal qualification would be required these days to get into most of the areas Obelixx has outlined.  That would require time at horticultural college.  One possible alternative would be working at a garden centre, or preferably a plant nursery, where you would be more likely to learn from the ground up (excuse the pun).[/quote] (can't multiple quote grr)

The problem is garden centres aren't known for being near bus stops, otherwise I'd be up there frequently and would of applied long ago :)

Last edited: 13 March 2017 15:43:54

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Not knowing your age or abilities I would suggest the getting of a bicycle might be an option to help you get to the garden centres as the first step on the gardening ladder? A suggestion I thought of doing was looking for one of those trailers that children sit in that attaches to the back of the bike for the carrying of small garden essentials to keep you self sufficient (or in case a few close neighbours want an odd job gardener and can provide the likes of a lawn mower themselves).

Definitely go for the qualification. You can never know too much and the brain does like to be stretched.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

You can also do qualifications online with the RHS  - no travel except maybe for exams.   If you haven't got a bicycle you will just have to learn to drive.

Just how much do you want to be a trained and skilled gardener?  Sometimes you just have to what''s necessary and not put self-imposed obstacles in your way.  

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102

I started as a jobbing gardener but then decided to get experience at a plant nursery and then some  formal Hort. Qualification. I now have a team of qualified gardeners who assist with all aspects of soft landscaping. It's not a trade to get in to unless your are at least physically fit as its not easy work to be honest. I would suggest some hort. training at a local nursery and attempt to do local work but a full driving licence is possibly a must to expand your self. Knowledge is invaluable such as pruning techniques, lawn care, plant development etc are some of the basics you will require to become a competent gardener 

Hope you decide to get in to gardening as its great job