London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
14/04/2014 at 23:33

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RHS-Gardening-Through-The-Year/dp/1405347392/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397514651&sr=8-1&keywords=rhs+gardening+books

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge of this book?  I have found out quite a few things in the RHS website so thought an RHS book might be a good idea.

I don't want anything complicated, just nice and simple with step by step info and as this one is month specific thought it looked quite good 

14/04/2014 at 23:55

Hi O/L.  and that isn't short for....old lady  Truthfully there are so many books on the market.  I have often thought about penning one myself.  However.  The RHS seems to hold such a long list.  Believe me.  My library consists of many books on gardening.  Like some plantaholicks.  Mike loves books.  Often I call myself a silly..'B'  as upon reading the book.  Even I could have done better.  Tracey [?]  My advice is.  Search the market even ebay.  Check out.  Readers Digest Encyclopedia of Garden Plants and Flowers.  The contributors are/were friends of mine.  Believe me.  Even now.  I use this volume so much.  Regards.  Mike.

15/04/2014 at 06:22

Like Mike, I have quite a collection of gardening books. I don't know this specific one but if you want a good book to cover the basics - I would recommend Alan Titchmarsh's 'How to be a Gardener.'

15/04/2014 at 07:05

hi ol i think alan t's series 'how to' is brilliant i have 5 in the series and have learned loads

15/04/2014 at 08:51

Thanks guys, and yes it is Tracey Mike .

I have that RD encyclopaedia already, mum bought it me years ago  Will continue looking 

16/04/2014 at 08:33

i often pick up books in charity shops , if i only learn 1 thing from each book i consider it money well spent

16/04/2014 at 09:53

It's my belief that you can't really learn gardening from books.....there is no substitute for experience and there is an enormous amount of that on this forum, available just for the asking.

I've been asked several times (including this forum) to consider writing a book about growing sweet peas, but the idea doesn't appeal.

16/04/2014 at 09:55

Thanks David, I'll save my money and just keep asking you then 

Now, I need some tips on hardening plants off..........

16/04/2014 at 09:59

Orchid Lady wrote (see)

Thanks David, I'll save my money and just keep asking you then 

Now, I need some tips on hardening plants off..........

Did I ever let you down, Old Lady???.....Serves you right for changing your name!

16/04/2014 at 10:03

Cheeky 

I've started a thread 

16/04/2014 at 10:10

I think it's pretty much the case with anything that books aren't a substitute for experience but they are a great form of reference and I think most of us have a 'go to' book when we are trying something for the first time.

I have collected a variety of the 'Expert' series, and they are a great source of info. I love the ready source of info available on the t'internet but I am of an age where I will always treasure a book to read.

For the last couple of years I have found the pocket guide RHS Fruit n Veg Guide very good as it gives a write up on a whole series of named varieties.

16/04/2014 at 14:12

Here is what I'm going to do.......I'm going to make my own book 

I'm going to go through all my followed threads, as these are the ones I have started / commented on and must be useful, cut and paste the relevant quotes/info (removing any names etc so there is no reference to anyone). Then print up the pages and put in my own notebook......bingo, my own custom made book with only info I need in 

16/04/2014 at 14:26

Great idea Tracey, the tech wizards could probably design an 'app' that would do it automatically.

16/04/2014 at 14:36

I'm waiting for our Mike to get pen to paper and spill forth his knowledge to us beginners. He always has such a clear way of writing and never makes you feel that he believes himself superior just because he's gotten a few more years under the belt than the rest of us (well; most of us ).

Til then I'm saving my money for plants and using the internet rather than books!

16/04/2014 at 16:49

I've been using the internet too Clari, the RHS website has really good clear info 

20/04/2014 at 18:17

Clarington.  Thank you so much for your comment.

20/04/2014 at 19:21

You don't need to thank me Mike - just let me know when I can pick up my signed copy! 

(Hope you're having a good day)

20/04/2014 at 22:19

Orchid Lady, good quality second hand books can be a good option, ie from Amazon, ebay.  You can find good quality used books for much less.  I have bought a few like this and if they turn out to be not as good as I might have expected I've not wasted too much money, and if they are what I'm looking for, I've got myself a bargain.  Must add that I've not been disappointed yet.

21/04/2014 at 22:35

In the past I have taken advantage of some of these book club offers.  World Books for instance.  Think first then buy.  Just buy what suits you.  Then leave.  When they pester you to rejoin and get this one free.  Go for it.  Play them at their own game.    There is a range of bookshops that sell at knockdown prices.  The outlet is.  The Works.  Then of course ebay.

24/04/2014 at 09:44

'morning, good discussions here  lots of 'fors and against' buying books, however I use my local library to browse and borrow and usually turn to Alan Titchmarsh - 'How to ' series: clear and to the point. Use th

e rhs book 'garden plants and flowers' as an invaluable reference book.

1 to 20 of 22 messages