London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
18 messages
22/08/2013 at 19:01

It's been a really hot one again today and ive been gardening all day,

Now ive always said gardening clothing should be as nice to wear "with lots of room" and fits the weather at the time your gardening, ie "T" shirt and shorts for weeding and general pottering about in weather such as todays.

No fashion in gardening clothing,

Ive a cheap cotton "T" shirt, very light and really nice to wear "but" it's falling to bits,

Her indoors thinks it's ready for the bin, but even when ive finished wearing it  it's days of use are still here ie for the workshop im always after rags for cleaing this or that,

My gardening hat is as old as the hills it's an straw one and feels right.

Do you dress to garden and if your of the same thoughts as myself?

Whats your gardening dress mode.

22/08/2013 at 20:35

Hi Smokin Donkey, I wear Karrimor cargo trousers whatever the weather as I don't want my legs scratched to bits, top is a polo shirt but must admit to getting a bit hot this summer.  As you probably know I work as a gardener so it's a sort of uniform and me in shorts would scare off my customers!  Working in my own garden is old track suit bottoms and a comfy old t shirt , not a good look but it's not a fashion show...

22/08/2013 at 21:22

Hi SD

I have had to resort to JUNGLE SPRAY to keep away the biting bugs,

so no shorts for me! 

but t shirt- long sleeved and comfy trousers are the thing.

But the little beggars still get me!!!

22/08/2013 at 21:29

Whatever has gone past wearing to go out in,a mix of old tops and trousers occasionally shorts and the odd hat.

22/08/2013 at 23:12

I work as a gardener too.

Summer is the thinnest loose t-shirt I can find and long shorts or short longs that cover my knees so I can kneel without getting filthy knees. Leather slip on shoes with no socks and a mans cap. For some reason they make the brims bigger so more sun protection....factor 50 on any skin showing.

Autumn/winter cargo trousers, t/shirt with short sleeves, sweatshirt and my gilet. Australian leather bush hat and rigger work boots.

Rainy days head to foot in plastic!!!!

Apart from boots shoes bush hat (like you Smokin had it for years) and gilet all bought from charity shops! 

22/08/2013 at 23:29

I wear shorts most of the time but I do kneel on a lengh of wood to weed and a T shirt

most of the year.

jeans and a t shirt for digging in the garden. sweat shirt if needed and again like you addict plastic foot wear if needed. I also have a large brim hat that my wife hates but hay is my neck not hers

James

23/08/2013 at 08:54

Baseball cap whatever the weather - keeps sun off if it is out, and the rain out of my eyes if it is not.

also dungarees - kids disown me, but it is great not having a waistband when you are crawling around weeding.

23/08/2013 at 12:56

Maybe its me and im not sorry "But all this american stuff is just not cricket in my mind from base ball caps, / hoodies and using that word "guy's"

Every other sentence,

My brother in-law moved to the states 18 years ago as a quiet sort of lad "now" you hear him long before you see him, he's more american than Mc Donalds,

He's three times the size he should be and thinks it's the right thing to do to complain when he eats out,

Base ball caps & hoodies and using the word guys for me is a sudden attack of going deaf.

23/08/2013 at 13:22

Don't care what you call it - does the trick for me.

23/08/2013 at 13:38

black fatigues from work .tshirt.  some times shorts .with a lancashire cc cap .or  old panama. hat in autum dads old harris tweed and  chester fc bobble hat and scarf (blue n white ) ok GUYS

23/08/2013 at 13:51

I'm with GillyL:

Whatever has gone past wearing to go out in,a mix of old tops and trousers occasionally shorts and the odd hat

23/08/2013 at 14:14

Can't beat dungarees, I have both the long and the short version.  I find them really comfortable as well as practical.  Lots of pockets - the side pocket at the knee is made for secateurs. 

If wearing ordinary trousers I get bitten around the waist by midges etc but this doesn't happen with dungarees and this year I have discovered Boots wasp repellent which keeps away the horseflies as well

27/08/2013 at 09:03

I wear old jeans, have to have something to cover the legs, especially knees, and an old, loose, cotton T shirt. No need for a hat, I have thick hair. Hats make my head feel hot and sweaty. Wellies in winter and for digging. My lovely old leather gardening shoes, with anti-smell charcoal insoles, have just fallen apart.

27/08/2013 at 09:20

funny to imagine some of you in your onesies, oh I mean dungarees, ( smokin im guessing you're not keen on onesies but quite like dungarees?).

I wear worn out clothes and groan when I have to venture out, yet again, to the ice cream van with son to perceived looks of ridicule. My favourite is an all-in-one strapless shorts suit (oh no, just realised that makes it a onesie/dungaree) It has a ridiculous bright purple n orange jungle pattern and was for that reason never worn in the real workd!

27/08/2013 at 11:38

LOL MrsGarden you have to post a picture!!!!!!! 

27/08/2013 at 11:47

Not a chance!

27/08/2013 at 12:05

01/09/2013 at 18:09

I have seen the question asked elsewhere, but never an accompanying answer - can anyone inform me where I can get the type of shirt Monty Don wears in his garden? I believe they are called 'half placket', any help much appreciated.

email image
18 messages