London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
1 to 20 of 41 messages
22/04/2014 at 14:36

We all have different challenges to cope with in the garden & enemies come in all shapes & sizes.

My current enemy is rabbits. I loathe them and they clearly feel the same about me  because they dig up, graze off or trample as many of my plants as possible. They have even dug up my dahlias (I don't lift them because it is quite mild here) and eaten the roots. Grr!  So now my plants are festooned with green netting and bits of chicken wire.  I have even sprinkled recycled beer round vulnerable plants! Next move... shotgun! I suppose I could track down lion poo...

What is your enemy & how do you deal with them?

22/04/2014 at 15:53

My enemy was the farmer who sprayed weed killer onto his field last year and a small amount drifted into my garden. I spoke about it to him at the time (but nicely!) and this year he waited until it was a very still day and came to speak to me first and nothing seems to have been affected.

KEF
22/04/2014 at 15:58

Glad to hear that artjak I remember your problems last year.

Outdoor girl, thankfully I don't have experience of rabbits, saw one once and OH put wood below fence posts for a while, didn't see it again, so we removed it for hedgehog access. Think it might have been an escaped pet.

By no means an enemy but the birds are currently pecking in my pots, not doing any harm but chucking compost all over  Maybe they don't like the food I provide. Wonder if I can train them to pull weeds out and not lily bulblets

22/04/2014 at 16:22

Hate to think what re-cycled beer could be!

22/04/2014 at 16:46

My enemy, a rather ignorant neighbour, who lets his leyllandi hedge grow, forcing me to install raised beds above impoverished soil. My one victory is to have a garden with loads of colour, scent and beauty. Far superior to his rather dull and sad expanse of lawn and untended shrubs. 

22/04/2014 at 17:06

I also have rabbits since my "allotment" is in the middle of some woodland.  Every so often they burrow under the fence and attack carrots, lettuce, parsley or whatever they fancy and as I don't visit every day they can wreak havoc.  Fortunately it's only happened a couple of times so far but...

The best cure is rabbit-proof fencing all the way round, then you can dispense with all the fiddly little bits of netting which are a real pain. Chicken wire three feet high and extended for at least 6" underground, preferably turned outwards should keep them out.  Juveniles can get through holes only a couple of inches across.  Make sure there's nothing they can climb on to jump over, and check for holes etc. periodically.  And keep a terrier or suitably-disposed cat.  Or a shotgun.  Or an air rifle might make less of a mess of them if you want them for the pot.

Occasionally (well, twice in the last six months) I find an apparently uninjured but dead rabbit lying around.  Not myxy - no idea what's killed them or why a fox doesn't take them away.

22/04/2014 at 17:08

I've got an old man who leans on my front fence and hacks up phlegm into the flower border... I'll swop you for a rabbit? 

22/04/2014 at 17:13

Victoria

22/04/2014 at 17:15

Oh Victoria - that's vile... What you need is barbed wire on the inside of the fence. He'll only lean on it the once after that.  Or  I could send you some spare Blackthorn hedging - that'll stop the b*****.

I've got one ( Mr. Nosey Parker) who walks round with his cats - I know, don't ask - and chucks his fag ends in....

And the postmen who drop the elastic bands in your borders on the way in and out - why are people so lazy and thoughtless?

22/04/2014 at 17:16

Artjak, it's more  to be honest

22/04/2014 at 17:21

People who (a) spit in public or (b) drop fag ends anywhere ought to be.... well - any suggestions?

22/04/2014 at 17:33

Up against a wall and shot Steve. Simple.  

Manky *******

22/04/2014 at 17:37

Honestly Victoria, that is disgusting. I actually feel sick thinking about spitting and phlegm.

My enemy is lack of use oddly enough. From Oct-Apr I rarely see any neighbour in their garden, never mind using it, and most have young children. They seem mystified by the weed growth, pest problems etc in the meantime and expect their garden to look like a brochure with no maintenance or effort.  I'll say nothing about so many of them using lawn companies and not ever even cutting the grass by themselves.

22/04/2014 at 17:40

My enemy this morning....a mouse, vole (not up to full spec with my rodents) who ate the tops of my tulips.  Used to put a trap for them and caught one a day but they are such small things and my guilt was huge.  

22/04/2014 at 18:39

My enemy used to be my loopy old neighbour who put chicken carcasses out to try and tempt my dogs through, which didn't work but did attract rats instead!!!  Thankfully he was forced out (he was only renting and not forced out by me) so peace has once again resumed 

22/04/2014 at 18:46

My number one enemy is the family who throw all their rubbish over their fence into my churchyard. Constantly have to contact the housing association to complain and sometimes the police. They will not however defeat me!

22/04/2014 at 18:53

That's disgusting Scott, I hate it when people have no respect, it's bad enough doing it anyway but into a churchyard where people's loved ones are laid to rest......disgusting 

Forgot to say Victoria, that is disgusting.  I would put one of those joke zapper things that gives an electric shock there so next time he does it you could zap him....disgusting person 

22/04/2014 at 19:07

It's all nuts isn't it? Chicken carcasses lying around, chucking rubbish in a churchyard and fag ends in people's gardens and my phlegm man...

You'd have to put some energy into being that obnoxious, I would have thought but folks seem to manage it 

22/04/2014 at 19:09

Scott- what is the matter with these cretins!! Good for you to hang on in there. What message do they send their children if they have any. Rabbits, foxes, slugs, snails, weevils and lily beetles are nothing compared to horrible humans and the things they do. 

22/04/2014 at 19:24

What makes it worse with humans is that it isn't natural and they should know better, with animals it is usually in their nature or they are just hungry, still a pain but they don't know any better 

1 to 20 of 41 messages