London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
02/06/2012 at 20:59

Since being made redundant money is tight but I have thought what out of my garden can I take cuttings/seds from then pacgage up nicely in a nice box/tin wth basic instructions for palnting so I can give a (giftof a garden tm) to my family and freinds especialy those who are not gardeners as a bit of free stuff and info does wonders for someones confirdence/willing to try.

02/06/2012 at 22:50

Sorry to hear of your redundancy....but what a kind thought...to give plants...

Last year I made up herb pots as gifts. One freind likes cooking curries/hot/spicy food, so gave her a pot with basil, corriander and fennel along with a nice jar containing dried chillies and a bunch of cut lillies. Was thinking of giving a chilli plant this year. Another freind is more meat and two veg and said she'd like a herb pot, did parsley, sage and basil with a sperate mint pot and a bunch of cut flowers.

Dressed up with a ribbon round the pot and a little card would make a lovely gift.

03/06/2012 at 09:36

Well you are lucky to have family and friends who respond to your kindness!

I've been trying to give cuttings and seeds away for a couple of years now and the smiling recipients either takes the thrusting flowerpot with polite bemusement or promises to get back to me with requests that never turn up!

It's not like I grow ugly plants!

I've even thought of having a plant sale but I can't trust to leave a money box laying around whilst a boot-fair is no good since I don't drive and the last resort would be a plant swap in my area except I'm too shy to knock on doors.

Good luck with your generosity!

03/06/2012 at 10:21

A couple of suggestions:

A couple of years ago my sister gave me seeds in packets made from wallpaper, they are so nice I am still using them to store saved seeds.

Have you looked at freecycle for the containers to store the seeds, I often see people offering these type of things.

Have you considered offering your time to F&F who are local, a morning in their garden tidying a border would be greatly appreciated and may inspire them.

08/06/2012 at 09:30

Isnt it so annoying when non gardening friends dont share your enthusiasm i love talking plants growing my own. I take alot of pleasure in giving plants away too. Our neighbour that comes from a great gardening family has decided to cut in a border into their grass he hopes to have it ready this weekend, well im ready ive potted up about twenty plants as a start for them I find this so excting

08/06/2012 at 10:03

If you are too shy to knock on neighbours doors, but want to do a plant swap, why not design a flyer and put it through people's doors?    Then the only ones to contact you will be those who are actually interested.

08/06/2012 at 14:47

Another way of getting fairly cheap plants is to look out for local school fairs, the school where my son goes to nursery have a 'gardening club' where they are encouraged to grow all sorts of plants, and some of the surplus gets sold off at their annual summer fair.  Not sure exactly what, as I've not been before, but if you have something similar, it may be worth a look.  If anyone is in the Sheffield area, I've got some spare bedding plants I'd be willing to swop?  Maybe we should ask the moderaters to create a 'swop shop' type board, where we could advertise any surplus plants, or plants we'd like, but can't find or afford garden centre prices?

Just a thought.

09/06/2012 at 06:25

A swap shop would be a very good idea, Julie.

11/06/2012 at 11:43

Swap shop is a great idea, especially for the seedaholics amongs us. Not that I'm one of course.

11/06/2012 at 13:24
Yes a swap shop sounds a brilliant idea! I have tried searching for something like this on the net but wasn't very successful. Who do we need to contact about something like this on here?
11/06/2012 at 13:54

I've already posted something on the 'improve the site' board, not sure how to post a link to it, but if several of us ask, something might get done.  Fingers crossed, I've lots of geraniums & sweet peas and 3 lupins I want rid of (was part of an offer), and would love to swap for some annuals that are safe around kids - I'd particularly like some honeysuckle, but would consider anything that didn't need replacing each year.  I'm short of foxgloves, they normally self-seed, but for some reason they've not appeared this year.

11/06/2012 at 14:51

There is site already in existence -not sure how it works or how practicle it is but here is the link

http://www.gardenswapshop.co.uk/howitworks.php

11/06/2012 at 16:34

Just registered & had a look around, this will suit GrannyJanny, as there are lots of seeds.  No plants in my area though

Have offered an air guitar for someone's finest Nothing!

11/06/2012 at 16:55

I have as well -not sure how good it is and there are some very odd messages on the forum including one looking for an alternative site as that one has been compromised-there also seems to be a bit of anomosity about postal charges-might be best left alone-worth a try though

02/03/2014 at 18:21

If you're on facebook here's a seed swap shop : https://www.facebook.com/groups/381796355711/

you can also tailor a seed packet design tool

Hope you like it !

02/03/2014 at 18:57

Here's another one,www.greenplantswap.co.uk

02/03/2014 at 19:02

we have a seed swap on the forum already

02/03/2014 at 19:07

Hmmm - always 'interesting' when an old thread is suddenly resurrected fidget....

A very old one in this case...

02/03/2014 at 20:21

Several old threads Fairy

I doubt if it's for our benefit

02/03/2014 at 20:26

Quite so nut 

1 to 20 of 21 messages