Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

daydaisy

I now have one goldfish left in my pond and I suspect the heron took the last one. I leave a small area of the pond unnetted so that wildlife can access the water. Unfortunately the fish always seem to prefer this place to sleep and seem to dislike being under the net. If this last one goes I will keep my pond just for wild life.😒

Herons are wildlife. If you raise the net above the pond it will allow access for smaller creatures and will not bother your fish.

nutcutlet

Let the fish go, a wildlife pond is much more exciting

Hostafan1

An otter had all my goldfish ( they came with the house. ) ( fish, not otters ) and I have to say I don't miss them. I think there's one in there but  I have lots of proper wildlife in there now, frogs, toads, newts, dragon and damsel flies.

Say goodbye and move on. 

You can have both. We made our pond when the children were small and put in a few goldfish. The wildlife moved in from the first day and we have all of the above apart from otters. Our grandchildren have outgrown pond dipping now but I still get huge pleasure from all the life in there. Oh, and the fish breed like rabbits! I have given away dozens.

Advertisement

hogweed

Put a bit of plastic pipe onto the bottom of the pond. The fish can hide in there. 

daydaisy

Thank you all for your feedback. I once had five goldfish swimming around and now have one. One fish got stuck behind a plant and was not noticed until it was too late. Another one died I think because of fluctuating temperatures and I think the other two went to feed the heron. I spotted him when making an early cup of tea! The remaining sheubunkin is probably lonely but he does have many frogs to keep  him company!. I really don't feel like getting any more and look forward to seeing pond skaters  and the like again.

Doghouse Riley

We've a 5ft deep koi pool with sheer sides and big fish, so herons aren't ever a problem.

Our neighbour to the right has a wildlife pond with frogs, his neighbour has a koi pool again with big fish so herons aren't a problem. He has a tiled gazebo at the bottom of his garden, but his neighbour has a goldfish pond.

So this regular visitor has a choice of frogs or goldfish!

Last edited: 30 June 2017 18:07:52