Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Good advice does not come quick

It depresses me a little that so many people just read the first answer they get and treat it as gospel. There is a Brazilian proverb which says "Haste makes a poor gardener"

Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

We say it slightly differently.

To be a good gardener, you have to have lots of patience.

• I'm not sure that I agree with your premise - I find that quite a few people keep asking until they receive an answer that confirms their own thoughts image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I think that everyone here, tries to give the best answer that they possibly can and hopefully qualifies that, by explaining the answer.

I think it is important to remember, that there is often no right or wrong answer, there are many ways to skin a cat.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • When I read the answers to other peoples' questions, I sometimes think "that's a good idea, I must try that!" and other times think "that wouldn't work here!". So much much depends on the specific conditions in your own garden and those who answer don't always have all the information required. It doesn't mean the answers are right for all circumstances, but they might help!

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

You are so sharp Pansy, I am surprised you don't cut yourself, as I certainly would, if I tried to skin the cat. image

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Fur gloves anyone? image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Skinned many a rabbit and during the war they said "a cat with its skin off looks much like a rabbit" never tried that though. I give advice on what I know having learned from a top class gardener my Dad, that advice is from my own experience and mistakes over many years, given freely it is up the the person asking the question whether they take heed or not. My beef is people with little experience guessing a solution to the problem and as said in another post not knowing the conditions prevailing for the questioner, best my way, never seen that then do not reply.

Christmas way back for us would be killing plucking and ploating the geese ducks chickens then hanging ready for sale, preparing hams and bacon joints then cutting or digging up vegetables for the meals, doing that was good preparation for skinning cats, I am a dog man, sorry cat lovers.

Frank.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012
    Inglezinho says:

It depresses me a little that so many people just read the first answer they get and treat it as gospel. There is a Brazilian proverb which says "Haste makes a poor gardener"

See original post

I agree.  The first answer may be correct for the person providing the information, but that doesn't mean it will be correct for everybody.  Somebody living in Scotland may ask when is the correct time to plant out x, y or z.  If somebody from the South of England replies, and the questioner uses that reply as gospel, they are likely to lose their plants.

Its about context, and a lot about personal opinion.  Try asking about growing bamboo and see what happens. image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

The beauty of the forum is that there's nearly always several different but accurate answers. Anyone who asks a question gets it answered every time. If they only choose to accept the first answer that surely is up to them. However to fail to take advantage of the vast knowledge base within the forum is foolish.