Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Good Morning - 21 March

Morning all.  Bright and sunny here and we may get as warm as 6C!   Maybe a little cuuting back of old perennial stems for me later on.

What are you all up to?

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
Plato

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Morning obelixx , we had glorious sunshine although a little frost here on the Scottish border but the cloud has appeared image , looks very cold out. Meeting mum at a GC of her choice for chat coffee ..and cake image , may be a little cold for pottering outside but I'm sure the seed section may be looked upon image , then a boring food shop and trip to bank image
  • Hi Obs - probably going to re-pot/rescue some stuff, firstly the contents of two cube-shaped thingys which have disintegrated due - I suppose - to prolonged soaking rain + frost.  I hadn't expected them (the containers) to be prone to frost damage so was surprised when they simply fell apart a couple of weeks ago.  Made from some sort of plastic-based material I think - look like lead at first glance.............. not so durable tho' !

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Good morning obelixx. Need to finish pruning and start new bed. Borders need clearing up. Weather been so awful it's been difficult to do anything. But going to daughter's for weekend so won't get much time in garden. Oh and big heap of ironing awaits!image

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Good morning, no grdening today, this morning I will be house cleaningimage Ready for visitors this afternoon who are staying over night. AND it looks like a decent gardening sort of dayimage

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Bunny - A trip to a garden centre sounds good.  I've just been out to buy more bird food and came home with trays of pale lilac primulas on special offer.

HCF - I think this winter of blowing warm and cold several times has done for a lot of pots and probably plants too.  I''ve just noticed a huge spilt in an upturned plastic dustbin being used to force rhubarb.    Come the warmer weatehr I usually use it to grow a few potatoes but it'll drain too fast now.  Bummer.

Rosa - cleaning for me too before I get out there.  Just learne dthat chappy is coming round this pm to sign the contracts for our damp proofing and the floor is covered in muddy paw marks..........

"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Nice thread...I'm keeping my eye on the weather forecast, sometime tomorrow I'm given to understand that my plot may be under 10/15cm of snow. So I'm taking advantage of the lull before the storm (as it were) and finish dividing the last of my perennials.....hostas especially today.

A tad cool, but not a bad day here so far.

Might they not sulk if they get snowed on after being split?   No hostas visible here yet, not even in the pots which hid in the greenhouse all winter and usually get a head start.   Maybe something to do with having a foot of snow on them last week.

Lots of wet stuff due this weekend and maybe snow again on Monday so no lifting and dividing here yet.

Plato
  • Kathy 2Kathy 2 Posts: 122

Hi Obelixx. It'slovely and sunny here in w Manchester and my basil (sown on Sunday) is germinating!!  imageimage

However, I'm getting really worried about the snow forecast for tomorrow and Saturday. I am driving to my daughter's in Birmingham tomorrow and from there to Bolsover (near Chesterfield) on Saturday for a watercolour workshop. Hope the snow doesn't stop us going as it's been booked for a while. Maybe we need to take a douvet, flask and shovel. image  image

And chocolate!

Plato
  • obelixx wrote (see)

Might they not sulk if they get snowed on after being split?   No hostas visible here yet, not even in the pots which hid in the greenhouse all winter and usually get a head start.   Maybe something to do with having a foot of snow on them last week.

Lots of wet stuff due this weekend and maybe snow again on Monday so no lifting and dividing here yet.

Yes, worth thinking about. Just took another peek at the forecast and it gives the nighttime temps for the next 5 nights as 0c, -1c, -2c, -4c & -3c. Of course, under snow it would be warmer, but I think I'll hang fire anyway.