London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 65 messages
23/10/2013 at 15:45
Does that bring back memories of Grandads garden shed.What memories do you have.
23/10/2013 at 15:52

Grandads shed was full of tools and spanners. We weren't allowed in. After he died it took months to sort out. Unfortunately most of the contents seem to have ended up in my dads garage.  Anyone one  want a set of imperial sized   spanners suitable for buses or tanks?

23/10/2013 at 15:54

I don't remember grandpa having a shed, but he did have a lean to greenhouse that he brewed some rediculously strong wine in

23/10/2013 at 15:57
It,s funny how many of old brewed in their sheds, no wonder their drill were wonky.
23/10/2013 at 16:01
I always remember the aroma as you opened the shed door,with the smell of oily rags and geranium cuttings and the ball's of string e.t.c.
23/10/2013 at 16:11
"I always remember the aroma as you opened the shed door,with the smell of oily rags and geranium cuttings and the ball's of string e.t.c."   One of my sheds has a lovely well used shed smell, the old boy who owned my cottage before me was 87 and he had pots and pots of screws, nails, bits and pieces.  When I moved in I went through everything having a clearing out session, and now I have pots of screws, nails, bits and pieces, plus the old garden tools that were left, spades and shovels from goodness knows what year - totally fab !  I enjoy using them, knowing they've done a lot of work in the garden already   He had a veg plot the width of the garden, 150 foot !!!!!  got a couple of cracking overhead photos.
23/10/2013 at 16:20
Why not share them with us Kezza?, I always loved the smell when the shed got it's anual coating of creosote,Lonely smell not forgetting the sell of old hessian sacking cloth.
23/10/2013 at 16:20

My grandfather had a small but beautiful garden. His shed was part of the garage, but inside he had a window facing south.

On the bench in front of the window were his cuttings and seed trays.

It was full of all sorts of cutting and seeds in pots and trays.

It was there he helped me sow my first tomato plant.

From the day the seed germinated I was hooked.

I shall always be grateful to him for taking the time to plant the gardening bug in my head.

RIP grandad and thanks.xxx

23/10/2013 at 16:21

I remember my grandad had a petrol lawn mower. I burnt my hand on the hot engine part, I must have been about 3 years old. Hurt quite a bit at the time, but my grandad could do no wrong in my eyes and I still followed him about in the garden while he cut the grass.

It seemed a huge garden when I was small, full of places to explore and play, but when I visit my nan's house now, my grandad died some 20 years ago, the garden doesn't seem so big.

Many fond memories 

23/10/2013 at 16:25
Thats a nice story DM
23/10/2013 at 16:32
I always remember my school days in rural studies and for some reason or another it was always the last lesson and no way would he let us back into the school via the tool shed without him inspecting every inch on your spade or fork to make sure it was cleaned and oiled.I often had to do a 3 mile trek home because it made me late for the bus home.
It did later in life teach me to respect my tools and now i know why grandad's lasted so long.
23/10/2013 at 16:32

sitting in my fathers shed on the alloment eating the gooseberries e.t.c and shelling peas.The smell of earthy tools and dirt  and having that cup of tea made on  a little stove.

23/10/2013 at 16:36

Ha, One of my dads cousins (he had a lot) still tells the tale of when my dad ate his Grandads Prize Goosegog, that he was saving for the show.....

He still likes gooseberries. But he prefers it that I grow them and pick them, and he eats them. (raw, and often dipped in a bowl of sugar)

23/10/2013 at 16:37
you must of had a posh grandad then,with him having a stove.We had to do with a stew brew from a flask,yuk.
23/10/2013 at 17:23

Well my grandad wasnt interested in gardening whatsoever, but when i was young i used to go and play in the mud and could often be found climbing the compost heap, digging for worms and watching them riggle in my hand after finding them.

It was on the pot hole filled path along the middle of the allotment site that i first rode my bike without stablisers when i guess i was 4 or 5, i recall shouting at my dad not to let go (he wa supposed to be holding the seat) only to look round and see him miles behind having already let go and me triumphantly riding without them, upon turning round i lost control and ended up in someone elses allotment plot.

24/10/2013 at 12:49
does anyone have any pics of old gardening tool's to share with us?
27/10/2013 at 16:07

I have my father -in laws gardening tools  and they still work fine ,must 50 years old plus ,will try to photo after the storm.

28/10/2013 at 13:53
I like how sheep sheers have made a come back and being used for topiary.I use them myself and they are just the job.
28/10/2013 at 15:30

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33174.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

I'm a granddad & this is my shed......or one of them at least. 

28/10/2013 at 15:41
Diddydoit wrote (see)
does anyone have any pics of old gardening tool's to share with us?

Sure, my spade & fork.....bought in 1961 and still going strong.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0508.jpg

1 to 20 of 65 messages