Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Grandpa had one just like it

Does that bring back memories of Grandads garden shed.What memories do you have.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Grandads shed was full of tools and spanners. We weren't allowed in. After he died it took months to sort out. Unfortunately most of the contents seem to have ended up in my dads garage.  Anyone one  want a set of imperial sized   spanners suitable for buses or tanks?

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I don't remember grandpa having a shed, but he did have a lean to greenhouse that he brewed some rediculously strong wine in

• DiddydoitDiddydoit Posts: 801
    It,s funny how many of old brewed in their sheds, no wonder their drill were wonky.
    I always remember the aroma as you opened the shed door,with the smell of oily rags and geranium cuttings and the ball's of string e.t.c.
  • KezzaKezza Posts: 90
    "I always remember the aroma as you opened the shed door,with the smell of oily rags and geranium cuttings and the ball's of string e.t.c."   One of my sheds has a lovely well used shed smell, the old boy who owned my cottage before me was 87 and he had pots and pots of screws, nails, bits and pieces.  When I moved in I went through everything having a clearing out session, and now I have pots of screws, nails, bits and pieces, plus the old garden tools that were left, spades and shovels from goodness knows what year - totally fab !  I enjoy using them, knowing they've done a lot of work in the garden alreadyimage   He had a veg plot the width of the garden, 150 foot !!!!!  got a couple of cracking overhead photos.image
    Why not share them with us Kezza?, I always loved the smell when the shed got it's anual coating of creosote,Lonely smell not forgetting the sell of old hessian sacking cloth.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

My grandfather had a small but beautiful garden. His shed was part of the garage, but inside he had a window facing south.

On the bench in front of the window were his cuttings and seed trays.

It was full of all sorts of cutting and seeds in pots and trays.

It was there he helped me sow my first tomato plant.

From the day the seed germinated I was hooked.

I shall always be grateful to him for taking the time to plant the gardening bug in my head.

RIP grandad and thanks.xxx

• Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

I remember my grandad had a petrol lawn mower. I burnt my hand on the hot engine part, I must have been about 3 years old. Hurt quite a bit at the time, but my grandad could do no wrong in my eyes and I still followed him about in the garden while he cut the grass.

It seemed a huge garden when I was small, full of places to explore and play, but when I visit my nan's house now, my grandad died some 20 years ago, the garden doesn't seem so big.

Many fond memories image

Thats a nice story DM
    I always remember my school days in rural studies and for some reason or another it was always the last lesson and no way would he let us back into the school via the tool shed without him inspecting every inch on your spade or fork to make sure it was cleaned and oiled.I often had to do a 3 mile trek home because it made me late for the bus home.

It did later in life teach me to respect my tools and now i know why grandad's lasted so long.