London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
6 messages
13/12/2012 at 15:00

HI all ,not too long ago lots of people were saying that they had lots of green toms becouse of the weather and such the toms were not very good and not ripening ,on the site someone put a recipe for green tom chuckney which i tried with our unrippened toms, i followed the recipe and made the chuckney,after a couple of weeks i tried it ,,not very good so it stayed in the fridge untill this week when before throwing it i decided to just try it again ,now 2 monthes old we were amazed ,it is just the best chutney we have ever made sad part only 2 jars left ,next year were going to grow beef toms and pick when green and make stacks of it we recomend it ,many thanks glad i coppied the recipe

Good luck Alan 

13/12/2012 at 15:03

I reckon it matures over about 3 months and last for a very long time if it gets the chance. I've never put it in the fridge, never thought of that. Chutney has been around longer than fridges and always kept well.

Best chutney there is. 

13/12/2012 at 15:05

That's good Alan. No waste then.

IME green tomato chutney is best left alone for about 3 months or agree it's still too raw tasting. J.

13/12/2012 at 16:41

I mature chutneys in a cool store off the garage, then they don't get chilled - only put in fridge when opened

15/12/2012 at 15:36

the problem with putting it in the fridge is i keep seeing it ,that's the problem and i cant see it lasting 3 months maybe with more made next year it just might  see 3 months im not sure, now does the ripe toms make as good chucney,anyone made it  as i dont rate the market stuff

Alan

15/12/2012 at 17:04

You could put it in your garage or shed until mature.

I made red tomato chutney and we ave just started eating it. It's a bit burnt, mind was on other things as DIL went into labour when it was on stove and we couldn't work out why we weren't having tects about whar was happening.

All's well and depite burnt bits it tastes OK. Am giving them some for Christmas Ho Ho

email image
6 messages