London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
16 messages
20/01/2014 at 14:03

Hello there,

I am hoping against hope that some kind soul out there may be able to give me some advice.

I want a waterproof plug for my greenhouse - simple enough request but not certain how i go about it.

My greenhouse sits about 20cm from my garage. There is a hole in my garage, and i have made a hole at the bottom of my greenhouse. So basically just needing a wire to pass through - it will be exposed for those 20cm, obviously it will be on the ground of the greenhouse.

So..whats the best setup? Any thoughts? My plug in the garage works ok..shall i house the wire for those 20cm? in the hope water doesnt get in?

Main concern i suppose is once its in the greenhouse, it has to sit on the floor of the greenhouse initially where the hole is...whats the best cause of action?

I have looked on amazon etc for waterproof plugs...

thoughts more than welcome.

thanks

g

20/01/2014 at 14:38

Any out door electrics must be done by a qualified electrician as i believe they have to be certified by the local council

20/01/2014 at 15:06

it needs to be armoured cable and as Colin says unless you truly know what you are doing a qualified electrician is needed cables must be buried so there is no danger of putting a fork etc., through it even though its armoured cable. Anything outside, ponds, lighting etc., must use outside weatherproof sockets and cables. not cheap i'm afraid but best to be safe eh 

20/01/2014 at 15:10

If you need to ask the question you shouldn't be doing this yourself.

20/01/2014 at 15:17

I have electricity in my greenhouse and we had it installed by a qualified electrician.

Pam LL x

20/01/2014 at 15:30

There is an outdoor adaptor that is designed for temporary garden electricity:

http://www.mysmartbuy.com/p-578-Eckman-12m-4-Socket-Outdoor-Weatherproof-Adaptor.html

You should check that you have an RDC to be safe.

Armoured cable doesn't always need to be buried. If it can be securely attached to a wall then that is fine for example - a wooden fence is not OK.

http://www.esc.org.uk/public/safety-in-the-home/garden-safety/

20/01/2014 at 18:17

I forgot to put that Blairs our lighting cable is clipped all around the house under the eaves but the cable to the pond, electric gate etc., is all underground can't remember the depth our electrician guy said though:/ sorry will try and find out I would be very reluctant to get the council to sign it off though as they tend to find something wrong lol

20/01/2014 at 19:13

Thank you for the replies, could of done without the scarky 'need to ask the question' one but heck you em' in all forums I suppose.

Seems I will indeed seek out the more expensive root then, of an electrician, at least it will be a secure, permanent fixture serving heating,lighting and seed trays etc.

thanks again

20/01/2014 at 19:16

Sorry garjobo, I didn't mean it to come across as sarky. Just concerned as electricity is dangerous stuff especially outside

20/01/2014 at 19:16

Please, please get a qualified electrician to do it; water (rain) and electricity do not go together well. Get quotes from (recommended by friends and neighbours) electricians. But they MUST be qualified.

20/01/2014 at 22:43

I ran very thick reinforced hose pipe from back of my shed where I have electric set up and pushed outdoor electric wire into it, however mine is set   up    to go 5 ft high along a trellis and into a plastic pane     in the greenhouse . I have had this for many years, I know I should have employed an electrician but not everyone has the money to do so, but if you have the means do employ one,  for safety.

20/01/2014 at 22:47

Why can't they invent wireless electricity, would be so much easier

20/01/2014 at 22:49

Maybe one day LF

20/01/2014 at 23:59

Mine has armoured cable wires run under the paving slabs or buried deep ( 30cm or a foot in old money)under  the hedge from the garage. The external sockets are proper outside sockets with coverings. There is an off switch in the garage to isolate the system, and it has its own circuit breaker (residual current device). Mine was fitted by my brother, who happens to be a qualified electrician.

As others above have put, electricity and water don't mix, get someone qualified in.

21/01/2014 at 08:48

Marg48 I know exactly where you're coming from:/ everything is so expensive, fortunately I have a fab hubby who know a lot of tradesmen so consider myself very lucky...

21/01/2014 at 11:53

When we had electricity put into our greenhouse, the electrician dug a trench all the way - about 20 meters, lined it with ??, put the cable, armoured, into an old hose pipe, and buried it all deep.  Never had a moments trouble in 12 years.  The switch and socket is in the kitchen, the cable runs down the wall and then underground as I said, to the greenhouse.  It went under the beds, a lawn, through a hedge, under slabs and arrived eventually - best days work I ever paid for, worth every penny it cost.  Not a tai people want to do themselves unless qualified to do so - electricity is dangerous stuff isn't it?

email image
16 messages