Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Greenhouse potting bench

My greenhouse has what I thought were potting benches. But mine are more like troughs lined with heavy duty black polythene. I discovered that the pea gravel surface is topping soill. Is that right or should it just be solid pea gravel? The soil is rich fodder for weeds which sprout up everywhere. One trough is about 6' long, 30" wide, and 9" deep. One of these runs the length of the greenhouse, the other cross butts it so it is about 2' long but width and depth the same. I am quite happy to get all the soil and pea gravel out but what should I then fill the troughs with? As you can tell I am a novice greenhouse gardener and would be so grateful for help.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

It could be that the previous owner was using it as an alpine house, like this one at Wisley:

https://alitex.co.uk/bespoke-greenhouse-case-studies/new-greenhouse-alpines-rhs-wisley

If that doesn't interest you, you could grow strawberries in it or, as you say empty it out and refill with just pea gravel.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102
    I made my own potting bench about 4 foot long

Was not too hard to produce with tantalised timber and a hand saw
  • michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi mewsmuse  as green finger says go to your local you can get lots of different sizes of boards have a good think about what you idea you get .then if you have to improvise   try and  draw it then think what boards you want(  make it as easy as you want )  you can make a  tressell   and buy a potting tray in most g/centres or wilko b.q and a few more shops     hope it helps         Michael