London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
22/06/2014 at 09:48

Hi Rosemummy, I am jealous! That said, we're not far from Leeds Castle in Maidstone. We were meant to go yesterday, but instead got side-tracked by the vast array of roses en route at a nursery... I fully intend to get there though.

22/06/2014 at 09:50
rosemummy wrote (see)

david why don't you come and live near me? i'm sure you'd enjoy sunny sheffield and i'm sure my garden would benefit!! totally agree theyre my faves too

I'm sure your garden is just fine as it is, rosemummy.

Several polls taken over the years have consistently resulted in roses being voted the nations favourite, followed closely by the sweet pea.....so no surprise there then!

22/06/2014 at 10:07

Btw, I would have liked to know (as I recommended it) if Lizzie had visited the restaurant during her visit to David Austen's nursery.

22/06/2014 at 10:53

DavidK and Busy-Lizzie, can you recommend anywhere I can order The Pilgrim? At the moment I can only find it in bare root from which means I won't get it until Nov this year onwards and would really love to get hold of it now... . I have googled, but would rather go on a recommendation in terms of a supplier/retailer. Is it known by any other name at all? Thanks

22/06/2014 at 11:11

Rose - I was in that rose garden only yesterday! I have p messaged you!!

22/06/2014 at 11:25
BevG wrote (see)

DavidK and Busy-Lizzie, can you recommend anywhere I can order The Pilgrim? At the moment I can only find it in bare root from which means I won't get it until Nov this year onwards and would really love to get hold of it now... . I have googled, but would rather go on a recommendation in terms of a supplier/retailer. Is it known by any other name at all? Thanks

Bev, like you I'm drawing a blank from the main suppliers......if it were me. I would wait and grow it from bare-root.

However, if you must..this is the only one I could find: http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/showrose.asp?showr=4260

22/06/2014 at 11:37

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/001_zpsbf250851.jpg

During the winter I planted-up  two island beds of bare-rooted roses. One of 'Royal William' (pic already posted) and one of 'Golden Jubilee'.....this is the first bloom from the latter.

Both from Peter Beale, Bev.

22/06/2014 at 11:40

Hope you don't mind me sharing again but the 'Champagne Moment' rose I shared yesterday has fully bloomed and I thought you might like to see it

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50232.jpg?width=376&height=350&mode=max

22/06/2014 at 11:43

Gorgeous, NGCARDS.....well worth a second look.

22/06/2014 at 12:45

Hi DavidK, yup, already found the David Austin one and was resigned to the fact you can't force nature to do what you want before the time is right . I have taken on board what you have said about bare-root roses and will order a couple very shortly. I know it will be well worth the wait having seen all the lovely pics everyone has already shared. Again, I must thank you for starting this thread; I have been inspired by everyone on here to enjoy my garden and go for what I want it to become. I can't thank you all enough 

22/06/2014 at 15:37
BevG wrote (see)

Hi DavidK, yup, already found the David Austin one and was resigned to the fact you can't force nature to do what you want before the time is right . I have taken on board what you have said about bare-root roses and will order a couple very shortly. I know it will be well worth the wait having seen all the lovely pics everyone has already shared. Again, I must thank you for starting this thread; I have been inspired by everyone on here to enjoy my garden and go for what I want it to become. I can't thank you all enough 

A wise decision I think, Bev.......sometimes it pays to touch the brakes a little and of course save yourself a few pounds in the process.

Other matters, no reason to thank me.....it just seemed the obvious thing to do, rather than continue our exchanges on the 'problem solving' page..... and of course you have benefit of some really experienced rose growers to help you.

Having said that, it is nice to be appreciated.....thank you!

22/06/2014 at 17:58
BevG wrote (see)

...if you're interested in obtaining a container grown rose of The Pilgrim, then I recommend the following nursery... I ordered from them last summer and on other occasions and they couldn't be faulted... all their roses are container grown but you have to email or phone them first to confirm availability and prices...

http://www.perryhillnurseries.co.uk/catalogue/roses/Shrub/

22/06/2014 at 17:59

Hi Salino, thanks, I'll take a look

22/06/2014 at 19:09

Tina I was in rose garden. Yesterday, when the wedding party was there, you'd recognise me, I' m the one constantly calling" slow down, be careful, don' t go out of my sight!"

22/06/2014 at 19:19

Salino - not sure if I'm missing something, but can't see 'The Pilgrim' listed.

22/06/2014 at 20:03
David K wrote (see)

Salino - not sure if I'm missing something, but can't see 'The Pilgrim' listed.

Sorry  spotted it now....the pic just didn't look like mine.

22/06/2014 at 20:05

hi David.... I know, they've got a lot of roses listed but as it's correctly known as The Pilgrim you'll find it under 'T' as they have their 'The's' under T starting with Tess of the d'urbervilles...

...they usually have these in stock...it's one of the best nurseries in the country and I've visited it many times too....they grow their roses in big containers - all good sized plants... Mr Chapman also let's you know what condition the rose is in...whether it's well grown...got black spot... any flowers showing... that sort of thing...before you confirm ordering...

oops..crossed....that's ok then...

22/06/2014 at 20:08

..Champagne Moment is just gorgeous NG.... I can see why you're pleased with it... not a rose I know personally...

22/06/2014 at 20:10

I spotted 'Shropshire Lad' while I was there.....another beauty!

22/06/2014 at 20:16

yes..that one and Generous Gardener have been on my list along with some others already mentioned, but I have to narrow it down to 2 and I want shorter growing ones this time.... I think that one is a climber...so perhaps not for me right now...