London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
11/07/2014 at 09:21

Some roses do it more than others, especially in the rain. But then they also do it if the roots get too dry. Yours is young, it will probably get better when it is more established, just make sure it doesn't get too dry in it's first year.

11/07/2014 at 09:33

thanks lizzie, any ideas about iceberg? loads of growth had lots of flowers, all quite low, no flowers now, no buds on tall growth, i've had it a year bought as potted rose a year ish old

11/07/2014 at 09:41

When you say had lots of flowers, do you mean this year or last year? If it had flowers this year then it's just having a break. Give it a good feed and water and it will flower again when it's ready. Can't remember with Iceberg, I know it's a repeat flowerer, but some roses flower in June then September and some roses flower in June and then on and off for the rest of the year.

11/07/2014 at 10:42

..regarding your Iceberg rose which I note is the climbing version, I think you will find that in the early years, much like a rose called Mme Alfred Carriere, it takes time to build up into a repeat flowering rose... early on it will flower only once until it's got itself into a rhythm...

..a quote from late rosarian Graham Thomas ''when well established is constantly in flower''

..so I wouldn't worry too much...just give it more time there..

as for St Swithun... this is a problem I have with some of Austin's, and other old roses...in that they can 'ball' in wet weather... I had this with a couple of his recently and I got rid... Spirit of Freedom for instance has some 200 petals on each rose head...far too many and they cannot cope with lots of rain.... I suspect St Swithun has similar issues...  nothing you can really do about that...but you can try to tease them open but some buds are beyond recall I'm afraid...so I would have to snip them off... hopefully it repeats quickly enough for you to get more flowers during dryer spells...

11/07/2014 at 20:24

Thanks Lizzie and salino, I think you're right re st swithun, iceberg hope will mature well, it's really high now, around 15 feet, and has fallen down as I haven' t any support that high yet, need time , ladder and a drill... 

12/07/2014 at 14:46

..anyone want a David Austin rose half price...?   I went to a garden centre today.. one of those I think in the Wyevale group... and so many plants were reduced 50 percent off....including all Austin's....loads to choose from...

...  I have a list of 4 Austin's that I wanted to try as I'm redoing a border this autumn..and 2 were available that I have researched, so I picked up 'Wollerton Old Hall'... and 'Lady of Shalott'...     this is the garden centre plant sell off period it seems... worth going to have a look...

13/07/2014 at 08:23

i would love another scepter'd isle to plant next to my existing one, and i 'm sure i can make room for another gertrude...

13/07/2014 at 08:25

regarding taking cuttings, i've read 2 ways, 1 to do now, semi ripe? and hardwood in autumn, anyone any advice on which best? my only rose that's established is gertrude, all my others planted last or this yea, would these be too young to take cuttings from?

13/07/2014 at 08:28

my aldi rose flowering... labelled hybrid tea pink favourite...it's actually a single flower..pretty but not what i expected, still, what can i really expect for 1.89?

23/07/2014 at 20:38

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/53574.jpg?width=265&height=350&mode=max

23/07/2014 at 21:00

My roses are just about finished for the moment. The odd flower here and there, but some new shoots are growing and some new buds are forming. Have fed them.

24/07/2014 at 21:44

Don't know if anyone has heard of it, but heard a good tip from a top show rose grower today, he swears by 'Uncle Tom's rose tonic'.

25/07/2014 at 17:23

Hi folks,  I posted a while ago about suggestions for replacing a gloriana on an arch, something that would go with Mortimer Sackler.  Well I visited David Austin today 'for a look around'  after having a long chat with one of the gardeners (I went really early and no one was about)  he said that they never plant mixed roses on opposite sides of an arch due to different habits and flowering times.  I took his advice and bought another mortimer sackler.  However, I havent waited for the autumn as I said I would and have moved gloriana to her new home and planted mortimer in her place. Heres hoping that they both survive.  I can see myself doing a lot of watering in the coming weeks.  Never heard of Uncle Tom's rose tonic David, is it organic.

25/07/2014 at 18:43

I've not used it yet Yviestevie, but I understand it is fully approved by the EU for organic use.

25/07/2014 at 20:04

Im not an organic gardener David but if something comes along that does a good job and is organic I'll use it.  I currently use the David Austin Rose Food and get very good results.  I try not to spray, only doing so if I get black spot but I tend to buy roses that have very good disease resistance to its very rare.

25/07/2014 at 20:12

Yvie I moved 'generous gardener' climber in may and it went into root shock, it looked terrible for a few weeks and is now doing beautifully, lots of new growth and a fair few flowers, it' s only a year and a half old in my garden though, I did plant with microrhizal fungi and loads of manure

06/08/2014 at 07:17

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/55294.jpg?width=500&height=350&mode=max

my new eden 88 rose I've been wanting this for ages, went to Handley and got it hurrah!! I'd read it didn't have much fragrance but actually although it's not mega strong it is a lovely fragrance, i ordered 'twice in a blue moon' and 'sharifa asma' as bareroots for autumn too

06/08/2014 at 07:58

also any suggestions for highly fragranced light to mid pink roses, largeish flowers?

06/08/2014 at 08:07

It's beautiful Rosemummy  I'm moving my roses about in autumn, not sure where yet but am thinking about it at the moment.....and new additions of course 

My 4 Aldi roses have all flowered now and my Iceberg (new this year and a climbing one) has stopped flowering a while ago but does have lots of growth.

06/08/2014 at 08:30
rosemummy wrote (see)

also any suggestions for highly fragranced light to mid pink roses, largeish flowers?

Yes, Yes......Comte de Chambord.  

A beauty!