London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
21 to 40 of 375 messages
05/06/2014 at 21:56

Gorgeous, Salino.

This must be worth 5 mins of anyone's time: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ee0m75dv9U

05/06/2014 at 22:08

..oh aren't they lovely...and Claire de Lune playing along...so romantic.... I must make room for another one...

05/06/2014 at 22:36

Lovely roses Salino.

That youtube was so beautiful. I'm waiting for my new William Shakespeare to flower.

When we lived in Kent, before '85 I used to enter my roses in the village rose show. Sometimes I did quite well. When rain was forecast I would tie little clear plastic bags over the flowers! I had masses of roses there. Very fertile clay.

05/06/2014 at 23:04

thank you...

I love rose shows....the rose marquee at Hampton Court Flower Show was just wonderful the only time I've been...and of course one is surrounded by people who are so enthusiastic about these plants...quite intoxicating...   Kent is fine for roses isn't it?...although I still think they grow a little better in the cooler West at midsummer...

06/06/2014 at 08:55

beautiful salino, i'll look at youtube vid when i get chance , i'd love to go to david austin garden, planning a trip to nearish handley rose nursery, they've been v helpful on the phone and stock the next rose on my wishlist eden 88, hope to get a bare root one autumn

06/06/2014 at 09:05

We are going to Shropshire soon, holiday, and we are planning to go to David Austin's garden

06/06/2014 at 09:07

oh please post photos lizzie

06/06/2014 at 09:59

I visited the David Austin nursery late last year (it's close to where  live) and would heartily recommend the restaurant......not cheap, but of a standard far higher than any restaurant I've ever experienced at a garden centre in the UK.

06/06/2014 at 15:59

Looking forward to the restaurant, David  Photos will be sent!

06/06/2014 at 18:15

Hi everyone, I'm new to gardening. I LOVE roses! Fantastic pics. Thanks to David K for starting this thread (back at work so have not had a chance to join until now). I'm hoping to learn lots from people on here. David K and many others have provided very helpful advice on another thread, so David kindly set this one up. I look forward to growing healthy roses and seeing more pics  

06/06/2014 at 18:21

Eating is a subjective thing and of course what suits one will not suit another. Having said that, I flatter myself that I can recognise quality nosh when I see & eat it and feel sure it will please......that's unless you're a pie 'n chips person.

06/06/2014 at 18:25

Hi, Bev....glad you found your new rose thread.

Some experts here to help and don't feel there is any questions too simple or stupid to ask. 

06/06/2014 at 18:28

Ha! Thanks David! I will be full of them for a bit until I get up to speed 

06/06/2014 at 18:31
BevG wrote (see)

Ha! Thanks David! I will be full of them for a bit until I get up to speed 

That's the spirit!

06/06/2014 at 19:45

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of water damaged roses, should anyone else have the same, but not know what it is. I had no idea what it was until DavidK advised. I have four different types of rose. All foliage is healthy.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48402.jpg?width=502&height=350&mode=max

Here is a different rose (I can't remember what it's called). Buds have started to appear and it has lovely healthy foliage: 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48403.jpg?width=502&height=350&mode=max

All roses are on the sunny side of the garden. I've also included a photo of the shady/dark side of the garden. The she is caused by the neighbours Cobnut and Ash tress (and they are absolutely huge). We have a vast expanse of fence that I want to hide so I'm currently looking on this site for flowers that like shade (the items already planted will take time to establish).

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48404.jpg?width=502&height=350&mode=max

David, should I remove the water damaged roses? Sorry - stupid question number 1..

06/06/2014 at 19:48

Just remembered......tea at David Austin's restaurant is served it stylish china cups decorated with (guess what) beautiful roses.

06/06/2014 at 19:53

"David, should I remove the water damaged roses? Sorry - stupid question number 1.."

Doh!  I said yes to this on the tuther thread.  It will encourage your bushes to produce more flowers.

06/06/2014 at 19:54

Thanks 

06/06/2014 at 23:44

..roses like the purple one above, that show 'balling', perhaps due to wet weather or some other problem...aren't worth keeping in my opinion....I get rid of these as soon as I realise I've been 'had' so to speak... there are plenty of roses that are weather and disease resistant today that there is no need to hold on to ones that do nothing to enhance your garden...   well, that's what I think...

..these days I usually research carefully before I buy, whether it's roses or anything else... see what issues other people have had....

...I really must go to Austin's restaurant....sounds really nice...there is another that I would regard as better than standard, and that's at Bateman's, near Worthing in West Sussex... John Brooke's garden...if anyone is ever down that way...that's how I remember it from a few years ago, but things change...

07/06/2014 at 08:59

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/P6160016.jpg

Not a particularly good picture.....this is the climber 'Albertine'. I planted it to cover the front of my old shed/workshop.

Although it's quite pretty, not sure I would recommend it, as it flowers only once and looks fairly lack-lustre for the rest of the year.

21 to 40 of 375 messages