Thank you David cold frame is screwed to decking

James

05/12/2013 at 10:18
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0866.jpg

CluelessGardener wrote (see)

Thank you David cold frame is screwed to decking

James

Good news.

Edit: These were mine at planting out time last year.

05/12/2013 at 11:40

....I have no idea why my pics always appear at the top of the post when I insert them at the end.  

22/12/2013 at 10:01

News paper is off yes my sweetpeas have made it they are breaking through the compost

I will update with a photo later on today

James

22/12/2013 at 10:09

David - type your post - select the pic etc, but before you insert it move the cursor to a couple of lines below your post - it works for me - Merry Christmas 

22/12/2013 at 11:10

Well done, James get them established before the onset of any really cold weather & they'll romp away in the spring.

Dove, that's what I do and (as you say) works most of the time....this forum does have its little quirks - Merry Christmas to you & yours too.  

27/12/2013 at 22:35

Hi David.I'll have to make this short and sweet as it keeps deleting my post.I bought seeds and grow pots from Eagle and they have just begun to sprout.They are in a cold bubble wrapped wooden greenhouse which drips condensation.Do I leave them in there or put them in my aluminium one on which the door won't close.they are both 6x8 and both have a mini greenhouse in them.I would be grateful for your advice.

28/12/2013 at 10:16

Hi, pinkquartet....sorry about your techie problems.

To answer your query, I think we need to go back to basics. Sweet peas are very hardy and more are ruined by coddling than neglect. Having said that, there are a couple of things to avoid, one is condensation (that applies to all seedlings though) and icy draughts.

From what you say, I think your aluminium greenhouse would be your best option, but be careful not to site them in the vicinity of the unclosed door.

Remember, they will survive frosts of -10c without any problem, just be careful to keep them on the dry side during very cold weather.

28/12/2013 at 21:27

Hi David.Thanks for your advice.I will put them in the aluminium greenhouse at the back with a barrier against the wind blowing in.Hopefully I will get the door fixed soon.I am looking forward to following this thread this year and hoping for 'wonderful' sweet peas of my own.Thank you.

05/01/2014 at 14:19

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0622.jpg

05/01/2014 at 14:24

David,

For those of us who haven't planted yet when would you suggest we get our seeds in the ground (or in pots in the greenhouse) ?

05/01/2014 at 16:30

Clarington - This is my  personal way (others will have theirs) but I reckon the autumn sown seeds season can be extended to Christmas, with a little additional warmth, say 50C needed for the later ones. After that I would wait until mid-Feb, then sow the seed in a cold greenhouse.....with again a little warmth just to germinate the seed.

After that, just sow your seed in-situ in March.

Once again I would advise not to use heat other than for seed germination.....otherwise the seedlings will just become weak & straggly and no good at all.

Finally, bear in mind that October sown SPs will be over by late August and those sown indoors in Feb or outdoors in March will flower until the first frosts. So, a good plan for maximum flowering, is a mix of sowing times.

06/01/2014 at 09:29

I offer my help willingly here when anyone asks me a specific question. However, I feel when I take the trouble to reply and promptly, I think such a reply deserves to be acknowledged.

Perhaps I was brought up in the old school of manners! 

06/01/2014 at 09:55

Think she's at work David - expect she'll be back later - that question and your answer are helpful for me as due to family stuff I just didn't get my Sweet peas sown in the autumn - I'll start some off on a windowsill indoors in February then pop them outside in the cold frame, and then sow some more in situ in March - how does that sound to you?  

I'm going to have to leave OH in charge of them and all my other seedlings while I'm away in May - it'll be a steep learning curve for him 

06/01/2014 at 10:05

That should work fine, Dove. Probably overwatering is the worst your OH could do.

06/01/2014 at 11:23

Oh my darling Dove I am so very glad you popped this thread back up to the top of the forum. The perils of using my mobile phone to browse this wonderful site is that every so often a thread has disappeared off my main screen before I have had chance to read it, which coupled with a traumatic brain injury means I often forget where I have posted to see if anyone has replaced. If only I had the time and functioning brain cells to read every thread on this forum so carefully, imagine the things I could learn, the plants I could grow!

Perhaps I ought take note of my failings and not post quite so widely in the forum so that I might first master the ability to respond with all possible haste to those wonderful people who have answered my novice gardener questions.

Mr. K I do apologise that you feel me such an awful person who must have been brought up in a society where ones elders decided to concentrate on wrapping us in cotton wool in our little isolated bubbles with our electronic devices and vitamin tablets rather than teaching us those all so important manners and how to respect those older and wiser than me. Oh my poor mother and father how I have failed them. To think I wasted my time taking all those years of courses for Saint John Ambulance learning how to help others, to save lives, to walk into a situation where others look away and do nothing not wanting to "get involved", only to never have even mastered the basics of respect. How foolish society was not to install these manners into us from the very start rather than coddle us and teach us to be scared that we'd be take from our beds by strange old men or attacked in the park. We've not learnt to respect our elders, only to fear that anyone who looks at us because they must be a wicked wicked person guilty of all sorts of disgusting crimes.

Does society not realise that with such simple pleases and thank you's the world could be such a better place? It is no wonder the UK is in such a mess.

So please accept my utmost apologies for not replying to you as quickly as I ought have done. Your advice is, as always, fantastic and so clearly written it is obvious that you have put almost as much time into learning how to explain things to people as you have growing these beautiful plants.

I shall follow Dove and put my seeds out to germinate in mid February should the weather be favourable and seek out any answers the the many many questions I have in books where the authors will have been richly rewarded by money and thus not care for the thanks I may, albeit later than intended, wish to offer them.

06/01/2014 at 13:48

Oh dear

Every time I think I may pop in and say hello something happens to make me think perhaps not.

06/01/2014 at 14:15

Paddy - Be assured this is a peaceful thread and will remain so while I have anything to do with it.

Did you have a sweet pea query?

06/01/2014 at 14:22

Hello David

I did but I found the answer in your previous reply thank you.

06/01/2014 at 16:06
paddy7 wrote (see)

Hello David

I did but I found the answer in your previous reply thank you.

That's good!