Start a new thread

21 to 40 of 1,143 replies

LisaJ

The same thing happened with the ones I have grown in a large tub but the ones in the ground are still producing longish stems.

I'll be buying some sweetpea seeds this afternoon and sowing them shortly.  I started this year's ones in February but wanted to give this autumn sowing a go.  

The potty gardener

Thank you David. I'll be planting mine in a couple of weeks time then.

I planted my sweet peas early spring this year, but after seeing Monty's trial and other info from this forum having decided to sow some now and then some in the spring.  Mine did ok (apart from the one's my 12 year old daughter pulled up when helping with the weeding!) but I didn't spend much time on them and didn't cut any for the vase.  After reading lots of tips etc I hope to get a better lot for cut flowers next year.

blueberry77

If the sweet peas are sown now, when is germination expected ? That is, do they come through in a few weeks as usual and then just sit dormant as small plants through the rest of winter - or what ?

blueberry77

Thanks David, I've always Spring sown before but lost most of them this year with the weather. Will try Autumn sowing hopefully for a better result

Advertisement

Lunarz

Thanks for the advice David - have you ever grown the dwarf variety Cupid?  I am hoping that the method will still be the same.  Unfortunately I don't have a greenhouse or coldframe so I will be planting into the ground in March.  Fingers crossed. 

Lunarz

Great - thank you.  I'll try some now and some in March then 

figrat
Hurrah! Been waiting for you to fire the starting pistol, as it were!
figrat
How many have you sown David?
kate1123

David what compost do you use for sowing? Do you add anything?

figrat

Seed compost on my shopping list then!

kate1123

Thanks David I thought I had better check. Those plants look great.

The potty gardener

I hope mine grow as well as yours David. Will toilet roll tubes be ok to plant them in? Or should I get something special?