London (change)
Today 8°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
28/01/2014 at 20:39

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36654.jpg?width=235&height=350&mode=max

My 'babies' David, only tiny

28/01/2014 at 20:42

"I planted them on the 22nd in the evening."

Care needed, Tracy....6 days (presuming that was this month) would indicate that they've been germinated in a little too much warmth.

As I have said previously, germination normally takes between 7 & 21 days.....but 21 is much better than 7 to avoid leggyness....if you get me drift.

28/01/2014 at 20:43

Thanks for the pic, Tracy.....keep them cool from now on.

28/01/2014 at 20:52

I will move them into the garage tomorrow David, thanks again.  I think I may well grow some more in March, I will spend more on some seeds and compare the results.

28/01/2014 at 21:03

A collection I've grown many times and would recommend to anyone: www.eaglesweetpeas.co.uk/gallerydetail.php?g=4&i=4

28/01/2014 at 21:10
That looks quite expensive initially but for 100 seeds it's not bad, mine were ??1 each for Old fashioned mixed (35 seeds) and Singing The Blues (25 seeds).

I might treat myself, thanks again David.
28/01/2014 at 21:22

I think they are very reasonable considering the effort that goes into producing them. For instance, I bet you wouldn't believe that the original seed (grown in this country) has to be shipped to New Zealand to produce the seed we buy from them......these seed growing contracts are very expensive.

There's a big, big difference with the seed produced by established breeders.

28/01/2014 at 21:27
Not good for air miles then I only bought cheap because I don't have a lot of confidence in myself yet and with so much to spend on plants etc didn't want to waste money, but I think you've persuaded me David and will probably order some
28/01/2014 at 21:33
Ordered.....thank goodness for football distracting OH
28/01/2014 at 21:37

Can't go along with that analogy, Tracy....I think you need to give yourself the best chance.

Mention my name when you order, you may even get a discount.

28/01/2014 at 21:39
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)
Ordered.....thank goodness for football distracting OH

Oooer.....am I about to be named in a divorce case???

28/01/2014 at 21:42
Ha ha, no David, ??9 inc P&P is nothing compared to the roses I will be ordering really and if he wants a nice garden.........
28/01/2014 at 21:42
I missed your other post re a discount before I ordered, never mind but thanks anyway.
28/01/2014 at 21:45
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)
Ha ha, no David, ??9 inc P&P is nothing compared to the roses I will be ordering really and if he wants a nice garden.........

Crikey! Poor man, perhaps as well I'm single.....no permission need.

28/01/2014 at 21:52
I don't really need permission, I work too but he might get a bit stressed if he knew what all the beautiful plants cost
28/01/2014 at 21:57

But would he mind spending some money on a new sofa if you needed one, or a table or re-decorating? Your garden is an extension of your house.

28/01/2014 at 22:03
Hmmm....just have Lizzie and new bikes. He wouldn't really mind, I just don't want him thinking I've suddenly come on here and am spending loads, but we do have 2 new borders to fill after Friday
29/01/2014 at 00:57

Hi David, can sweet pea seeds be planted direct when it gets to 10C outside? If so does that mean the night time temperature must be 10C? I started some indoors last year, which got very leggy and also sowed some direct in late April but they soon caught up with the indoor sown ones and they all started flowering at the same time. I haven't got a greenhouse and indoors only a dull north facing window sill room temperature is between 15 and 22C. I have got a large root trainer seed tray and a large plastic tray, cling film and bubble wrap and was considering improvising a kind of cold frame with it. If I sowed in this outside now would the seed survive ok until it gets warm enough to germinate? I just want to get them flowering as early as possible. Sorry for so many questions.

29/01/2014 at 09:35

Ashleigh - As I've said previously, October sown seed will give you flowers around mid-May, those sown in the spring will flower in July. To flip it, October sown plants will finish flowering in late-August, whereas spring sown plants will continue until the first frosts.....a mixture (if possible) of both is the best option.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to my 10c temperature figure, as I give it as a rough guide to what is needed for successful germination....as you know, all seeds need a certain amount of warmth to germinate.

Be assured, I don't walk around with a thermometer in my pocket  after gardening for more years than I care to remember, I act according to what I see around me. Regarding sowing outdoors, a good rule of thumb would be to keep your eye on your lawn, when it starts to grow & needs cutting would be a good time to sow your SP seeds in-situ......certainly don't go to the trouble of bubble-wrapping etc.

29/01/2014 at 12:31

Babies in the garage near the window so they get light