London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
29/01/2014 at 14:08
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)

Babies in the garage near the window so they get light

The way to go, Tracy......treat em rough!

29/01/2014 at 19:10

Thanks David, I grew sweet peas for the first time last year and I'm totally hooked, roll on July 

29/01/2014 at 19:41
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0907.jpg

Till July.

29/01/2014 at 21:41
I have to ask, how many sweet peas do you grow in a year David?
29/01/2014 at 21:43
I've just remembered a question I thought of as I was nodding off last night (yes I really am that sad!!).

Can I plant some of my Sweet peas in my new birds or are they best grown in big pots? I was thinking of buying one of those nice 'wig-wam' things and growing some of the ones I ordered last night up it but would appreciate your thoughts.
29/01/2014 at 22:24
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0825.jpg

I think these were from the Staffordshire Collection.

.............................................................................................

Tracey - I mostly just grow for cut flowers these days, hence a collection such as those you ordered would suffice for a season.

Sweet peas are very deep rooted, so growing in the open ground which can be deeply dug is better than in pots.

When it comes to support, best remember they can grow to 8ft or so.....I use a double row of 8ft canes.

29/01/2014 at 22:30
Thanks David, and am I best just planting them where they are to grow or in pots first? You may have answered that earlier already so apologies if I'm duplicating.
30/01/2014 at 08:54

Tracy - I would suggest you sow your new seeds (2 seeds per pot) into seed pots in a couple of weeks time.When they have germinated, transfer them to your new greenhouse until they are ready to be planted outside.

30/01/2014 at 10:04

Beautiful photo's David, thanks, is it worth letting the last few blooms of the season go to seed? Is it viable, will it come true or could you get a few surprises?

30/01/2014 at 10:36

Not something I do personally, Ashleigh...I like to know what I'm getting, but worth a try maybe.

30/01/2014 at 20:23
That's great, thanks David. Sorry for the delay, been working and not been on all day. Just using my half an hour free internet then I will be off again
31/01/2014 at 23:57
Had a night away and checked my babies when I got home, some more have come up and the ones that had germinated have grown slightly, but not a lot which I think is good. My new seeds have arrived Will hang on to them for a couple of weeks until OH has built my new greenhouse and then plant them
02/02/2014 at 10:57

I'm pleased you now seem confident to keep your present SPs in a cool place.

I'm sure you'll do fantastically well with your Eagle ones and will be able to compare quality....they'll be beautiful!

14/02/2014 at 14:17

Tracy...looking at the news, hope you and your SPs haven't been blown away.

16/02/2014 at 10:33

Hi David, sorry I've not been on for a few days with one things and another.  My 'babies' are fine and fortunately no serious damage to our house, I've just not managed to get the greenhouse up yet. Thanks for your thoughts 

16/02/2014 at 10:39
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)

Hi David, sorry I've not been on for a few days with one things and another.  My 'babies' are fine and fortunately no serious damage to our house, I've just not managed to get the greenhouse up yet. Thanks for your thoughts 

Quite understand, Tracy.

Keep  safe & the greenhouse can wait until later.

16/02/2014 at 10:55

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37588.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

Eagle highly perfumed mixed, seeds bought from Eagle stand at Holker garden festival on you recomendation David

i have also sown some henry eckford i had given but they havnt germinated yet i will leave them a little longer but dont hold much hope

16/02/2014 at 11:34

They're looking really good, Ann.....I've grown them myself & can say you'll not be disappointed.

Ideal for cut flowers!

16/02/2014 at 12:20

David, I have some questions if I may. . . 

I have some toilet rolls which I have saved for growing my first ever sweet peas  What do I need to put at the bottom of the rolls to stop the compost coming out?

Do I use seed compost? (Stupid question that one!)I have some so that should be ok 

Once I have planted my seeds, where should I keep them? I have a shed and a placcie green house, no cold frame. I also have a kitchen window ledge.

How often should I water them - I had a disaster with all the seeds I tried last year - only 3 actual plants grew 

Many thanks for your patience 

16/02/2014 at 12:48

Panda, I've put my loo rolls in punnets that had held tomatoes and Brussels sprouts, bought in the supermarket. When filling them some compost fell in between which is helping to stand them up straight and keep moist. I used ordinary potting compost. Seed compost is not widely sold here and expensive, so I keep it for the tiny seeds. Mine are on a window sill, but not up yet - so it could all be a failure!