London (change)
Wed 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
16/02/2014 at 12:51

hi Panda this is how i sow into toilet roll inners

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37627.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

tray of some sort the little round thing is fille with sand it just fits in side the roll

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37628.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

sorry thats on its side. stand the roll on something solid and fill with growing medium and compress you should be able to lift with your fingers undeneath and put it in you tray. if you try to fill when they are in the tray you will waste a lot of compost.

hope this helps

16/02/2014 at 12:56

i should have said i water mine into the centre of the tube with a small watering can the sort for indoors after the seeds are planted

16/02/2014 at 12:59

Thanks Little-Ann  I'm not sure if I have any of those trays but I will have a good look for some. If not I'm sure my dad has some I could pinch 

16/02/2014 at 13:35
4thPanda wrote (see)

David, I have some questions if I may. . . 

I have some toilet rolls which I have saved for growing my first ever sweet peas  What do I need to put at the bottom of the rolls to stop the compost coming out?

Do I use seed compost? (Stupid question that one!)I have some so that should be ok 

Once I have planted my seeds, where should I keep them? I have a shed and a placcie green house, no cold frame. I also have a kitchen window ledge.

How often should I water them - I had a disaster with all the seeds I tried last year - only 3 actual plants grew 

Many thanks for your patience 

Hi, Panda......I'm glad others have stepped in with answers re toilet roll planters, cos I've never tried them.

Other matters; Yes do sow the seed in seed compost, others have too much nutrient. Water after the seed has been sown and not again until they surface....be careful not to saturate and certainly don't water in very cold weather. 

Once you've sown your seed, try to fined somewhere cool indoors (maybe a unheated bedroom or porch) for the seed to germinate.....somewhere near 10c would be ideal.

Once the seeds have surfaced straight into your mini-greenhouse......any heat at this stage will result in leggy seedlings.

Finally, you say  "have some toilet rolls which I have saved for growing my first ever sweet peas" 

Not a good idea to re-use, I would have thought, because of passing on disease....all seedlings are prone to damping-off when dirty containers are used. 

16/02/2014 at 14:13

David K wrote (see)

Not a good idea to re-use, I would have thought, because of passing on disease....all seedlings are prone to damping-off when dirty containers are used. 

David, these are the inners of toilet rolls that have been stored in my bathroom and not been used for anything other than being the middle of a toilet roll. I thought they would be alright? 

16/02/2014 at 14:15
4thPanda wrote (see)

David K wrote (see)

David, these are the inners of toilet rolls that have been stored in my bathroom and not been used for anything other than being the middle of a toilet roll. I thought they would be alright? 

That's brill, Panda...no problem with those.

16/02/2014 at 14:18

Hurrah  and thank you. Realised I hadn't thanked you in my last post, so sorry 

Back bedroom it is then! Won't OH be pleased 

16/02/2014 at 15:41

My pleasure, Panda.

Pleeese don't cite me in your divorce....I was thinking more unheated spare bedroom.  

16/02/2014 at 20:33

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0272.jpg

Ann - Can't be sure, but I think these were Eagle's 'highly perfumed mixed Spencer'. 

16/02/2014 at 20:36

Lol David, the back bedroom is the spare room!  

16/02/2014 at 20:42
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/400_300_08020Mushroom20Tray-500x500_zps1a0b179c.jpg

Panda........While I have your attention, I would just say that I use these mushroom trays to hold my sweet peas. Obtainable from any greengrocer, most are glad to give them away or for a nominal charge.

16/02/2014 at 21:22

I had a great display last year thanks to the advice from this forum and this year am growing even more for a bigger display. One thing I was going to ask is does anyone have any advice for growing perennial sweet pea I am wanting to create a hedge to screen off my shed. The questions were is it invasive, when do I sow and will it flower this year?

16/02/2014 at 21:30

I have those David!  If I line one with plastic then I could put the loo rolls on them! Thanks again, you have been most kind and helpful  

16/02/2014 at 22:01

Hi Cairnsie. I grow perennial sweet peas here in the NE England .I'm not sure when I sowed it was a few years ago, I think the seeds were from Chilterns so I'd have followed instructions on the packet, maybe March. I'm pretty sure they flowered the same year but they bulk up as they get established. They are not invasive, if too many shoots come up they are easily thinned out. I love them! Especially the white one, shame they don't have a scent. dont mean to sound cheeky but you do realise they die down in winter?  Jean

16/02/2014 at 22:10

panda i would use paper or cardboard 

16/02/2014 at 22:10

Thanks well i'm from the northeast too and yes I realise they die down. I wanted something that would grow over the shed in summer but not seal the moisture in over winter and rot it or stop me painting it. That's brilliant ill order the seeds today. I was going to go for purple/ pink one or would you say whites definitely what to go for thanks for the reply

16/02/2014 at 22:21

Cairnsie..started with white then got a packet of mixed They are fine too, I just love the pearly whiteness they really glisten. I grow them up a fence to disguise it in summer but wanted access for maintenance. Another good plant to grow is the golden hop as it has a similar habit...role on spring.

16/02/2014 at 22:24

thanks definitely role on spring

16/02/2014 at 22:44

Thanks Little-Ann 

17/02/2014 at 10:58

By way of a reminder, I would just like to say that now is about as late as you should delay sowing your seed indoors......any later and I would suggest sowing where they are to flower.

Would like to enquire how debra kazalski is getting on.