London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
02/03/2014 at 21:28

Haven't done my sweetpea seeds yet, as I was going to try putting them straight outside this year. But maybe I should have done pots as its still so boggy outside.

02/03/2014 at 21:36

Not sure about being 'the expert'....much of what I post here is based on many years of making my own cock-ups.

Just two basic rules:

1) just the smallest amount of warmth to germinate the seed (normally the ambient temps expected in Oct)

2) definitely No Coddling.

02/03/2014 at 21:39
star gaze lily wrote (see)

Haven't done my sweetpea seeds yet, as I was going to try putting them straight outside this year. But maybe I should have done pots as its still so boggy outside.

Lots of time yet, Lily.....sow the seed where they are to flower as soon as the ground becomes workable.

They'll catch up....promise!

02/03/2014 at 22:56

No coddling, that's the difficult bit because that's what I'm good at!!!  I'm always being told to sit down and relax instead of fussing over everything, but I like it!!  I will try very hard PROMISE! 

I'm glad there is still loads of time to plant outside, my to do list is growing every day!!

02/03/2014 at 23:07

The biggest problem I have with sweet peas is keeping the mice off them.

The ones that germinated last October (in the seed pods) are 6 inch high, in the cold polytunnel thing. New seeds   I have planted in deep roottrainers. There is one lot in the main greenhouse (frost protection) in a tray with a propagator lid and mousetraps set. One on the top shelf of the polytunnel, hoping the mice wont climb. One set in next doors conservatory (mouse free). One way or another I intend having some to plant out later on.

02/03/2014 at 23:10

Thanks David

03/03/2014 at 08:30

hmmm have noticed i was v stingy with compost so a good few aren't in as deep as i planned..i planted 60, should i turf out and replant shallow seeds or just plant more for lusk? planted so many as a;want lots! b; want to give my mum some and c; have little faith ! am so annoyed as tried to do it right,as always was rushing

03/03/2014 at 08:59
Louise Stevenson wrote (see)

hmmm have noticed i was v stingy with compost so a good few aren't in as deep as i planned..i planted 60, should i turf out and replant shallow seeds or just plant more for lusk? planted so many as a;want lots! b; want to give my mum some and c; have little faith ! am so annoyed as tried to do it right,as always was rushing

Louise, no one should beat themselves up about not doing the right thing. Having said that, It wouldn't wouldn't really be wise to disturb those you feel are sown too shallow.....better to add more compost if possible.

03/03/2014 at 09:59

Hi David - I have just found some 2/3-year old sweet pea seeds, many still in the pod, which I collected from a very good sweet pea batch in the autumn of 2012 I think. They've been in a dark cupboard all that time; do you think they'd be viable for sowing/germinating this year? There was no rotting and they look pretty much like the new ones I bought in packets for this year. Thank you!

03/03/2014 at 10:05

Fidget, my mother used to put her edible garden peas in paraffin before sowing because the smell kept the mice away. Would probably work for sweet peas.

Edd
03/03/2014 at 10:10

Hi Oitb.

I had sweet peas from 20 year ago found in the back of an old cupboard. They just took a little longer time to germinate. Plant them and see what happens if they do not germinate then you will know. 

03/03/2014 at 10:30
Order in the border wrote (see)

Hi David - I have just found some 2/3-year old sweet pea seeds, many still in the pod, which I collected from a very good sweet pea batch in the autumn of 2012 I think. They've been in a dark cupboard all that time; do you think they'd be viable for sowing/germinating this year? There was no rotting and they look pretty much like the new ones I bought in packets for this year. Thank you!

I can't see why not, worst case scenario would be perhaps be a few may fail.

03/03/2014 at 10:43

The Victorians used to make a paste using *red-lead & paraffin  for coating their edible peas prior to sowing to deter mice. They also lined the sowing drill with pieces of  chopped-up gorse.

*Red-lead is definitely not recommended or used in this way these days. 

03/03/2014 at 18:15

thanks David, i'll do that tomorrow if i get 2 minutes, was going to today but wanted to see yours or others more experienced advice 1st

03/03/2014 at 19:19

I had some old sweet pea seeds that I found in a jar in the garage. I put them on some damp kitchen paper and then as they started to germinate, I put the seed with a tiny shoot about an inch deep in compost. I had about 80% germination with no wasted compost.

04/03/2014 at 08:25

Yay!!!  First sweet pea seedling has made an appearance - sown last Wednesday!!! 

They're indoors on the dining room windowsill.  The mini-grow house is waiting for them. 

04/03/2014 at 08:27

wow, sounds good/promising fidget - I will give it a go, thanks to you and David. I wondered - mice - is it just the seeds that they like or is it the seedlings? My first batch is up in the unheated GH, covered with polythene, but they look weak - if I remove the cover have I extended a dinner invitation to the little furry things??

04/03/2014 at 09:22
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Yay!!!  First sweet pea seedling has made an appearance - sown last Wednesday!!! 

They're indoors on the dining room windowsill.  The mini-grow house is waiting for them. 

Banish them to the 'mini-grow house', pronto!

04/03/2014 at 18:53

i'm such an airhead...topped up pots today...with multi purpose compost, they were all in seed compost, know i said i'd do half and half but though tseed compost better, now thy're all in a mix!!! if i had a brain people i'd be dangerous!!!

04/03/2014 at 19:05
Louise Stevenson wrote (see)

i'm such an airhead...topped up pots today...with multi purpose compost, they were all in seed compost, know i said i'd do half and half but though tseed compost better, now thy're all in a mix!!! if i had a brain people i'd be dangerous!!!

That will be no problem at all at this stage of their development, Louise.