London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
05/03/2014 at 19:04
Fairygirl wrote (see)

Do you grow different varieties each year or do you stick with favourites? I grew Cathy last year - a cream with lovely scent, but was a little disappointed with the colour sometimes- it was a bit 'muddy'. Is there a white or cream variety you can recommend?

Fairy.....sorry, didn't reply fully to this.

The best 'cream' I've ever grown (& judged) would probably be 'Bristol Cream'.

05/03/2014 at 19:13

Many thanks David  

Thought I'd live dangerously and try a couple of different varieties this year! 

I had a little scout around a few sites recently for creams/whites but reckoned you'd be able to suggest something nice.

05/03/2014 at 19:16
Fairygirl wrote (see)

Many thanks David  

Thought I'd live dangerously and try a couple of different varieties this year! 

I had a little scout around a few sites recently for creams/whites but reckoned you'd be able to suggest something nice.

Don't think I have a pic on file, but you should be able to google for one.

It's a good doer and won't disappoint.

05/03/2014 at 22:30
My recommended ones are going in very soon David, I just need to get the big pots for them sorted
06/03/2014 at 09:31

Good luck with them, Tracy....maybe worth holding a few back for autumn sowing.

Try not to overcrowd the seed i.e. at least 6 inches between seeds.

06/03/2014 at 09:33

I'm going to David, the plan is to do half now and half in Autumn. Thanks 

06/03/2014 at 09:37
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)

I'm going to David, the plan is to do half now and half in Autumn. Thanks 

Sounds like a plan!

06/03/2014 at 13:56

David, my sweet peas that are in the garage (the ones I posted a picture of the other day), would they be ok left outside and just taken in again if there is a risk of frost?  You are right about needing all round light and that is the only way they can get it.  It is currently averaging between 9-12c here during the day.

06/03/2014 at 16:57

David, my sweet peas that are in the garage (the ones I posted a picture of the other day), would they be ok left outside and just taken in again if there is a risk of frost?  You are right about needing all round light and that is the only way they can get it.  It is currently averaging between 9-12c here during the day.

Yes, they will be fine, Tracy.... but as they are a tad leggy, perhaps you could shelter them from the wind.

06/03/2014 at 17:00
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/Wem/P7180022.jpg

Typical sweet pea show display.

06/03/2014 at 17:29

In general, sweet pea seedlings should be grown 'hard' to establish strong roots over the winter. There is no problem in bringing them outside now and putting them in a cold frame. Also the weather is going to be much milder with higher temperatures from next weekend.

06/03/2014 at 17:33

It's about 10c here now, but I'm 'up North' and I don't think it will be as warm as 'down South', and I don't have a cold frame .

It's ok though, I'll go with David's advice and I'm a newbie Malcolm which is why I didn't sow them in Autumn but have some to sow this Autumn 

06/03/2014 at 17:46

10 c - barely above 5 or 6 here during the day! I never sow in autumn Tracey - too much bother. I won't sow sweet peas for a while yet as it will be ages before there's any real warmth in the soil here so they'll just sit and sulk anyway. I often just sow direct later anyway and they usually catch up. We get better weather in late summer/autumn rather than spring so we get the colour at the other end of the season.

I have a little growhouse now so I might stick a few in there if I get all the other junk out of it! 

06/03/2014 at 19:03

i bought a liitle pop up greenhouse especially..i just have to actually put it up! 7 seeds germinated out of 6- i know ott- after 1 week

06/03/2014 at 19:07

I think I must have covered this before, but here's how it is.

Autumn sown sweet peas usually flower a couple of months ahead of those sown outdoors. For cut flowers for the house it matters not, but for enthusiasts who wish to show theirs during early to late summer or those wishing to have early flowers, autumn sowing is a must.

For me autumn sowing is easy and is only as complicated as we would like to make it.

Yer pays yer money etc.

06/03/2014 at 19:40

Is that your display David?  They are beautiful 

06/03/2014 at 20:12

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/Wem/P7180011.jpg

Not sure, Tracy....each vase is of a single variety and submitted by an individual competitor.....they may have several entries in the same show.

I think these shots were  taken at The Royal Sweet Pea Society's show at Wem in Shropshire....usually held in July. 

Individual exhibits are like the above.

06/03/2014 at 20:23

Beautiful  My mum used to always have her sweet peas in the house in summer, not show standard like yours but the smell was amazing 

06/03/2014 at 20:33

my grandad and dad grew them up to mid 60s  and displayed them in heinz salad cream bottles . then dad got the  dahlia bug

06/03/2014 at 20:38
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/P6200028.jpg

Beautiful  My mum used to always have her sweet peas in the house in summer, not show standard like yours but the smell was amazing 

Tracy - As I have said previously, I rarely show SPs these days (been there done that etc) but often get involved showing or judging at a village level.

These are a sample of my cut flowers that smell every bit as good as those on the show bench.....sorry I can't get the pic below the text.