London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
06/03/2014 at 20:52

Gorgeous, pity smelly-vision hasn't been invented yet 

06/03/2014 at 20:52

Just dug this shot out  that I took ages ago. During a particularly good summer when everything went right, this was the amount I cut in one day.....sorry the pic is a tad dark in the foreground.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0694.jpg

Edit: Tracy, those in my previous pic were the Staffordshire Collection.

06/03/2014 at 20:54

So when you cut sweet peas, do they produce more flowers?  As I've said before, mine have never been great so I haven't picked many but have always been wary in case I don't get more flowers  I can't remember what happened with my mum's as I was too young, I just remember the smell!

06/03/2014 at 21:01
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)

So when you cut sweet peas, do they produce more flowers?  As I've said before, mine have never been great so I haven't picked many but have always been wary in case I don't get more flowers  I can't remember what happened with my mum's as I was too young, I just remember the smell!

It's imperative to cut them regularly, Tracy....otherwise they will go to seed, resulting in a premature end to the plants.

Many of those above probably ended-up on the compost heap. 

06/03/2014 at 21:17

Hmmmm......maybe David 

06/03/2014 at 21:23

I grow them in the veg patch and then strip every flower off every couple of days. That way it doesn't matter as to what the plant looks like. All the flowers go in vases or get given away. The more you pick, the more you get.

06/03/2014 at 21:27

I was wondering about what to put on my veg patch as I would like some flowers on there and I have a fence I can out them against.  The ones I have grown now I am going to put on the veg patch and try that FB, my 'best' ones are going in big planters 

06/03/2014 at 21:53

I'll just say that sweet peas were never intended to make the garden look pretty (in fact they're not a pretty plant at all) they are for cut flowers.....keep them well cut back to prolong the flowering season...and remove any seed cases.

07/03/2014 at 07:18

Mina lobata is another nice climber worth considering. Its not fragrant but very pretty. 

07/03/2014 at 11:06

I am growing them for the smell Allium, but thanks for the suggestion 

11/03/2014 at 08:02

i think they look beautiful in garden ut i like a cottagey look, david,sorry i put question in other sp thread, wondered what else you let grow where you plant your sweet peas, i put few spring bulbs in 1 bed, but where i plan to put others it's full of perennials, should i dig alll up or just make bit of room and let perennials grow roud base?

11/03/2014 at 08:09

My sweet peas look very sad in their pots  I might plant them out, is it too soon?

You said that they need deep post David for the roots, but how deep?  I have some ceramic planters which are about 1ft high, possibly a bit higher, is that big enough?

11/03/2014 at 08:29

Tracy, I need to guess a little in answering your query, because I've never grown SPs anywhere other than in the open ground and that is deeply dug & mucked in the autumn. All I can do is suggest you plant them in the deepest pots you can provide.

If they are as 'sad' as you say, just nip out the growing tip & plant them out now. Unless they have been coddled, they should cope with any cold weather except for very cold winds.

11/03/2014 at 08:32

Thanks David, I am thinking of planting these sad ones in my veg patch anyway, it will by the new seeds when I I sow them that are going into pots. I pinched them out yesterday, topped up the pots as they didn't have enough compost and they were out overnight, slight frost but still alive!!

11/03/2014 at 08:35
Louise Stevenson wrote (see)

i think they look beautiful in garden ut i like a cottagey look, david,sorry i put question in other sp thread, wondered what else you let grow where you plant your sweet peas, i put few spring bulbs in 1 bed, but where i plan to put others it's full of perennials, should i dig alll up or just make bit of room and let perennials grow roud base?

Hi, Louise....I grow my own SPs in the vegetable garden, purely as a crop to be harvested.

I feel if grown as a decorative garden plant they will seed prematurely and thus not last very long.

11/03/2014 at 08:43

Good luck with them, Tracy.

I feel you give them too much care....you'd be appalled by the way I neglect mine during the winter.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0866.jpg

I haven't taken any pics of this year's, but this (from another year) is how they are looking at present.

11/03/2014 at 08:47

PS. protect from slugs 'n snails.

11/03/2014 at 09:20

Wow! David! Half mine haven't germinated, did all that I should have done according to advice. They were going straggly on a windowsill in a cool room, now are in a cold frame. I used loo roll middles which are starting to fall apart. Silly me! They are bio-degradable ones!

11/03/2014 at 09:24

Tracey, if you want flowers in the veg garden there are lots that go well. Sweet peas of course, French Marigolds to keep whitefly of tomatoes, nasturtiums to keep blackfly of broad beans. You can eat nasturtiums too, the flowers and the leaves, pretty and peppery in salads. You can grow flowers for picking to put in vases indoors, antirrhinums, cosmos, cornflowers, dahlias.

11/03/2014 at 09:52

david i do pick them every day and don't let any seed pods stay, mine are shockingly straggly,must get mini greenhouse up,tracey my friend grows hers in 2ft planter as wel as ground, ones in pots never do as well