London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
41 to 60 of 1,134 messages
13/10/2012 at 18:13

Well to be honest I've never tried using toilet roll tubes, Bev, though I do hear a lot of talk about the damp cardboard producing some rather yucky fungus.

There are several excellent products on the market the best being 'Root Trainers' or something like this http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/150788055264?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=plaor these I prefer (virtually a black plastic bag) available from Eagle Sweet Peas.http://www.eaglesweetpeas.co.uk/gallery.php?g=8

13/10/2012 at 18:15

Well to be honest I've never tried toilet roll tubes, Bev, though I do hear a lot of talk about the damp cardboard producing some rather yucky fungus.

There are several excellent products on the market the best being 'Root Trainers' or something like this http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/150788055264?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla or these I prefer (virtually a black plastic bag) available from Eagle Sweet Peas.http://www.eaglesweetpeas.co.uk/gallery.php?g=8

Reposted because the links were not live in the last post.

13/10/2012 at 21:25

Thank you very much David. Will order some then wait eagerly for their arrival so I can get them started.

13/10/2012 at 21:42

You're welcome, Bev. I use those sold by Eagle Sweet Peas.

19/10/2012 at 08:20
Ping
19/10/2012 at 22:29

Hi David

I would like to ask if I may, what your tips are for keeping young sweet peas throughout the winter months?  For example pinching out and keeping the greenfly off them, also how do you stop them from becoming leggy or is that due to the continuation of the pinching out process.

Thank you.

20/10/2012 at 09:35

Hi, Sarah

Regarding sweet peas becoming leggy, this is only a problem if the seeds are sown too early and are subjected to warmth in the early stages.The golden rule is (as I've said so often) 'don't coddle', they are extremely hardy & (once germinated) will tolerate quite severe frost without protection.

Pinching out is really intended as a method of encouraging them to bush out, rather than a answer to legginess, this is best done when your plants have two or three pairs of leaves.

I would add that the uptake of water during winter is minimal, so keep them on the dry side and water only (if necessary) during frost free weather.

This is how they should look in say February & ready for pinching out:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0624.jpg

20/10/2012 at 09:39

Hi David, despite me being further North than you, mine will get sown this coming week. If no joy, still have the early Spring option after all.

I'm having a bad year for keeping on top of things, but am the proud owner of a new, very top notch coldframe, and there is space allowed for them in there! Remind me to take OH, plus credit card, to a RHS show again! J.

20/10/2012 at 09:47

Hi, Jo4, for SP seed sowing purposes I consider you to be pretty well the same as me.

Good luck with your sowings, if they haven't surfaced in three weeks time, just bring them indoors until two or three have surfaced...then straight out into the posh coldframe again.

20/10/2012 at 14:43

I've always sown direct in the past - this year I'm trying an autumn sowing in root trainers - David, should I start them off on the kitchen windowsill untl they germinate and then put them outside in the coldframe, or will they be ok germinating out in the coldframe?

I'm growing Cupani for the scent.

20/10/2012 at 14:50

I've just used up the last of my seed compost for a batch of sweetpeas! Didnt realise how much my back does ache with standing over the greenhouse staging.

I'm leaving mine in the unheated, cold, greenhouse until some germination- they have an extra, transparent cover at the mo- then out into the coldframe, minus cover, for the rest of the time.

I debated starting mine off on an inside sill, but decided that the light was better in greenhouse although colder. Will do my new packets in the Spring. J.

20/10/2012 at 16:42
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

I've always sown direct in the past - this year I'm trying an autumn sowing in root trainers - David, should I start them off on the kitchen windowsill untl they germinate and then put them outside in the coldframe, or will they be ok germinating out in the coldframe?

I'm growing Cupani for the scent.

They will germinate fine outside in your coldframe.

20/10/2012 at 18:10

Hurrah!  Thanks David 

20/10/2012 at 18:37

Thank you for your advice David.

22/10/2012 at 09:33

Later this week the weather is set to turn much colder, this is typical of this time of year and is very good (predictable weather makes gardening so much easier)....certainly nothing to be concerned about.  

In fact, It does illustrate clearly why mid-Oct is the preferred time to sow those SP seed i.e. taking advantage of the last of season's warmth to germinate the seed, then the onset of cold weather to make them mark time until probably next March.

Of course, the seed can be sown right up to Christmas (after that you might as well wait until March) but a little heat (10/15C) will be needed to get them started.  

27/10/2012 at 21:47

Sweet peas finally sown. Now that wait to see if they germinate

28/10/2012 at 13:48

Because of the imminent frost warnings, & we did go down below freezing this week, I put the pots onto a window sill. My greenhouse is NOT frost free!

Germination just now starting, so will move them as nec into the big coldframe. J.

09/11/2012 at 14:31

hi, This is my first year gardening. Started in March.

sweet peas sown 20/10 had shoots appearing 3/11!!

I have 2 types, a bijou that is supposed to be for pots and wont need supports and a purple matucana. I grew some of the bijou this year and they got nearly 4" high! so much for not needing support. Infact one of them is still going. i'm not dead heading it anymore in the hope i get seeds.

David K , now they are sprouting, do i just leave them in my greenhouse? (small, plastic, covered in bubble wrap, not frost free)  I'm in Cheltenham and its still quite mild at the mo, only had one light frost.

Thanks

09/11/2012 at 17:29

Yes, just leave them in your plastic mini-greenhouse, they are perfectly hardy and don't need any form of heat.

09/11/2012 at 18:26

3 out of 4 pots have now germinated & been popped out into a coldframe, along with some other HA seedlings.

Will do a further sowing in Feb as normal. J.

41 to 60 of 1,134 messages