Start a new thread

601 to 620 of 1,143 replies

thinking more of a wire cloche, good to hear mouse danger may be over!

Busy-Lizzie

Been very busy the last few days so not looked in here.

Thanks Steve for the tip about Aqualdulce Claudia. I haven't seen them here in France, just Aquadulce.

Tracey, when I said about cutting sweet peas off the hedge I was really answering David about the sweet peas getting tangled in the hedge. I thought the problem of that would be partly solved when the hedge was cut in the autumn the sweet peas would be cut down too - 2 birds with one stone!

Orchid Lady

Ah right Lizzie, I see now, sorry I misunderstood.  Just watching GW and the sweet pea feature 

LouatLarches

So sorry if this has been covered, I have read many pages of this thread but couldn't find the answer. How do you get long straight stems on sweet pea? I presume it's how you tie in but do you also restrict growth of the plant? Thanks in advance. I have 20+ pots of Autumn sown peas to plant out this weekend. All have been hardened off and I plan to make a trench of home compost for them to lie in, against a southeast facing stone wall. 

I really love sweet pea; the look of the variously coloured blooms and their aroma is so delicious.

Fairygirl

Hi LouatL - I think you take off the side shoots and encourage a single stem once they're growing well but David will be able to give you accurate info as he's the sweet pea expert on here and grew them for showing. 

Advertisement

Orchid Lady

B****y hounds decided to dig a hole next to my blueberry bush and in the process buried my sweet peas! Was out with the torch at 11 last night moving the soil (with my hand......glad there were no slugs!!), luckily only one was damaged (beyond repair).....

LouatLarches

Just read page 23: Fab, Thank you. I've got so many sweet peas (brag, brag) of different colours etc that I'm going to try both ways. Last year I had dreadfully short blooms AND they were covered in greenfly BUT they has an unusual red marbled effect and their perfume was gorgeous. I cut them for our September village show, shook the greenfly off, plonked them in a pewter teapot and went to the show. [I was rather ashamed of them in comparison to a really wonderful grower whose stems were long and straight and whose flowers were pale blue.]

I won first prize! My husband must have bribed the judges!! The note from the judge commended the smell and marble look. Funny old world.

LouatLarches

Just read page 23: Fab, Thank you. I've got so many sweet peas (brag, brag) of different colours etc that I'm going to try both ways. Last year I had dreadfully short blooms AND they were covered in greenfly BUT they has an unusual red marbled effect and their perfume was gorgeous. I cut them for our September village show, shook the greenfly off, plonked them in a pewter teapot and went to the show. [I was rather ashamed of them in comparison to a really wonderful grower whose stems were long and straight and whose flowers were pale blue.]

I won first prize! My husband must have bribed the judges!! The note from the judge commended the smell and marble look. Funny old world.

Fairygirl

I knew David would give you the info Lou. I'm sure what I said was a load of rubbish!  

LouatLarches

Not at all Fairygirl, you were spot on. Thank you.... not quite sure how I managed to post twice above!! Sorry everyone but thanks for the good sweet pea advice.

Busy-Lizzie

Planted out my sweet peas. Only 12 of my original 36 that I asked about germinated. I sowed more, about half of them have come up. They have been in a cold frame for the last 2 weeks. 18° today, sunny. Looked happier in the cold frame, don't think they liked the windowsill.

LouatLarches

kidding!!!! Fantastic judging if it was you....