London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 15°C
19/03/2014 at 19:03

kidding!!!! Fantastic judging if it was you.... 

19/03/2014 at 19:42
LouatLarches wrote (see)

kidding!!!! Fantastic judging if it was you.... 

Couldn't possibly comment! 

20/03/2014 at 08:17

tracey hope your sp s are ok! sorry if missed you saying have you planted yours out? wind too strong here at mo hop to in next week or so

20/03/2014 at 19:47

I have planted out the first lot Louise as they weren't getting enough light (with not having my GH ready!). In hindsight maybe I should have waited.  Anyway,mi am now planning direct sowing if some others I ordered and that will be done this weekend 

21/03/2014 at 08:32

let me know how direct ones go, i have 37 germinated no room for any more this year!

21/03/2014 at 08:59

Just been for a quick check and they are a little wind swept after last night, the twigs don't seem to be doing their job properly  But they are ok, stood them back up and noticed they are starting to get shoots at the bottom so 'bushing out' which will hopefully make them stronger.  Thankfully, most of them are in the veg patch where the hounds can't dig 

I'll report back on direct planted ones when (if) they are successful 

21/03/2014 at 10:30

"they are starting to get shoots at the bottom so 'bushing out' which will hopefully make them stronger"

That's a really hopeful sign, Tracy....they will attach to the twigs when the first tendrils develop.

23/03/2014 at 16:20

As the name suggests, I love sweet pea's, but I've never grown them, and only ever enjoyed them in vases. I bought some seedlings from Homebase last week and potted them in a small terracotta pot, as the pot they came in was tiny. Since potting them in the pot, they seem to be falling over and sloping, as if they're too heavy for the stems to carry. I'm not sure what to do, do I need to be offering them support?

Thanks,

SP

23/03/2014 at 16:28

They will need a support structure of some sort as they can easily grow to 6ft, wigwams made with bamboo canes are a popular choice, if planting in pots they will need you will need a substantial one. I grow mine in the garden and prepare the ground well with organic material such as manure. I often grow them in the same trench I use for my runner beans as they help attract the pollinators.

You will find lots of info on here from far more qualified to speak than I but the above works for me.

23/03/2014 at 16:33

They are currently only about 4 inches tall, and in a small pot. I can move them to a flower bed if required. Should they need support so early on, or is it more likely they've been damaged by wind and hail? My garden is very open to the elements.

Thanks for your reply.

SP

23/03/2014 at 16:43

SP - Presuming this is directed to me.

No reason at all (if they have been hardened-off) why they can't be planted out now. As I've said many times previously, they don't care for cold winds....so maybe fleece them until they get established.

Push a few twiggy bits into the soil around them for support...of course, they'll need something more substantial later.

23/03/2014 at 16:45

May I ask if they are a Climbing (up to about 6 ft) or Dwarf variety? For a small pot I would suggest growing the Dwarf variety as they do not grow tall and do not need any form of support. It seems you have a climbing variety and therefore support in the form of 6 ft canes/netting/ willow branches is needed and better grown in an open well dug and composted soil. You can make a wigwam of bamboo canes and plant 3-4 seedlings at the base of each cane and attach the first shoots to the bottom of the cane with slip rings- you can buy these from a garden centre in packets of a 100 or so.

Hope this is of help.

MH 

23/03/2014 at 16:58

Thanks again for all that have replied. I have no idea what type they are, the label simply stated 'Sweet Pea - Mixed' judging by the fact they were only £1 I wasn't expecting too much from them, but I thought it might be worth a shot.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40086.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

My sweetpeas are at the back in the terracotta pot, there's one that's already fallen over in that photo, and a few more have since. The pot they came in was a quarter of the size!

I'm not sure our beds are deep enough for 6ft worth of growth! It's a very small garden, and currently the narrow beds we have are covered with wood chips, courtesy of our landlord when he redid the driveway.

23/03/2014 at 17:30

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40094.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40091.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

SweetPea, I'm wondering if you have seen mature sweetpea plants growing. They are tall. These are photos I took at Anne Hathaway's cottage, Stratford upon Avon.

23/03/2014 at 17:32

Busy Lizzie, I believe the ones my dad grew when I was a little one, would have been of the dwarf variety, none grew over 4 foot or so.

23/03/2014 at 18:32

They are gorgeous Lizzie.  In this month's mag there is an article on sweet peas and I'm going to ask my neighbour over the road who has been chopping trees if they have any long twigs/branches to build a frame like in the mag.

Something has eaten 2 of my sweet pea plants now and not sure what,tiny tiny little holes, not a mouse or slugs, possibly ants although I've only seen a couple and do they eat sweet peas??  I think I'm jinxed 

23/03/2014 at 18:34

Sweet pea, love the little toadstool and snail 

23/03/2014 at 18:37
I have sown my first sweet peas today, gwendoline and Cathy. I expected more seeds in the packets, 16 & 21. The plan was to sow some outside and the rest in the GH. I now need to get more packets for the indoor ones! Fingers crossed they will turn out ok.
23/03/2014 at 18:42

Tracey, have they eaten the whole plant or just the leaves, leaf miner can attack the leaves but I think its a bit early in the year.

If its just some leaf damage,then the plant will probably be ok as they are tough little buggers.

23/03/2014 at 18:46

Here is a pic, it's going dark now so not the best, but just to give you an idea.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40099.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max