London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
14/04/2014 at 15:22
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42382.jpg?width=350

Like so.

Btw, those are hanging basket sweet peas called 'Cupid White'.

14/04/2014 at 21:55

Hanging basket sweet peas, now there's a thought for next summer 

14/04/2014 at 22:15

Just wanting to ask will I be alright planting out my sweet peas I sowed in mid February they have 3 pairs of leaves now. I am growing spencer special, knee high and cupid. They have been in a cold frame since germination.

Thanks for any help

14/04/2014 at 22:53
Ah, and it becomes obvious that I can't post a picture because I am using my phone and the option isn't available. Thanks tho!
15/04/2014 at 06:59

hi david if you read this, my sweet peas benn out 2-3 weeks and most are bushing out a little but none are much taller than when i put them in, is this right? anything i should feed yet?

15/04/2014 at 08:46
Orchid Lady wrote (see)

Hanging basket sweet peas, now there's a thought for next summer 

OL - I'm not too keen on them TBH, but I have made them up for friends. Having said that, it is useful to be able to make-up your baskets in October and keep them overwinter in the greenhouse i.e. the seed can be sown directly into the baskets.

cairnsie wrote (see)

Just wanting to ask will I be alright planting out my sweet peas I sowed in mid February they have 3 pairs of leaves now. I am growing spencer special, knee high and cupid. They have been in a cold frame since germination.

Thanks for any help

No reason at all why not, cairnsie.

rosemummy wrote (see)

hi david if you read this, my sweet peas benn out 2-3 weeks and most are bushing out a little but none are much taller than when i put them in, is this right? anything i should feed yet?

Rosemummy - Unless they seem to be sickly, they will be just fine....they will amaze you when they do take off.

Don't feed them until they are producing flowers.

15/04/2014 at 19:40

Mine are the same, hardly done anything in the couple of weeks that they've been in the ground. It is a bit worrying. The peas are doing much more growing.

15/04/2014 at 19:52

thanks david a couple look nibbled but ok

15/04/2014 at 19:58

Thanks david I will get them planted this week then

16/04/2014 at 11:00

Pinched mine (Old-Fashioned Mix) out in the cold frame yesterday; will be planting out on Friday.  Must get more canes......

16/04/2014 at 16:58

I have sown some of my 'good' seeds today, I have 6 x 8ft canes in a 'wigwam' and have used 3 colours, cream, pale pink and crimson, 2 canes of each.  It took me ages to decide which colours to use  Fingers crossed they come up ok and my stupid hounds don't wreck them, seen as Daisy already thinks she can hide behind a cane and Ollie can't see her!!!!

I am saving the rest of the seeds now for autumn sowing (I think??) 

I have also given the ones already planted a bit of TLC, put up canes and attached them to it, then gave them a good watering as the soil was like dust!!!  I was surprised how much they had grown and bushed out a bit.  I'm leaving them to do their thing now......no molycoddling here 

16/04/2014 at 17:33

Don't know how to break this to you, OL... but hereon your SPs do need plenty of TLC, keep well watered and when they start to flower, a weekly feed of high potash feed.

The reason for previous 'no coddling' was to stop them becoming leggy & weak.

I'll get me coat!

16/04/2014 at 17:34

TLC.....for sweet peas.....but my expert teacher said no TLC.  This must be someone else in disguise telling me to change my sweet pea care habits 

16/04/2014 at 17:50
Orchid Lady wrote (see)

TLC.....for sweet peas.....but my expert teacher said no TLC.  This must be someone else in disguise telling me to change my sweet pea care habits 

Yes, but now the growing 'n flowering is about to begin.....a different scenario altogether.....no need to hold them back/neglect now.

16/04/2014 at 22:35
Can anyone please post a pic of a tiny sp seedling? I know where I've planted them but don't want my garden helpers to get a bit keen on the 'weeding'. Tia.
16/04/2014 at 22:45
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/17116b32-8d68-4ef2-a7aa-ebff1dd41e3e_zps3a87d88d.jpg

Here we go!

16/04/2014 at 23:28

It's funny but all the advice I have asked for and yet sweet pea seedlings are probably the only seedling I would recognise......I suppose I have my mum it thank for that 

19/04/2014 at 15:42

I've followed all the advice and I used to grow sweet peas in the UK, even won a prize in the village show for my bowl of sweet peas, but here in SW France they just won't grow. Only about a third of my first sowing germinated, about 2 of my second sowing. Now the sickly seedlings have been planted outside for at least 3 weeks and have made hardly any growth. Why? I haven't grown them for a few years because I've had this problem here before. But I thought I'd give it another go. Never had any problems in England. Also, I never see them growing here in anyone else's garden. I bought my seeds in the UK.

19/04/2014 at 19:09

I have planted my sweet peas out but had a few more than I thought as spares I have 15 round the base of an obelisk is this too many? I made the obelisk out of bamboo and the base is probably 2 foot wide. Last year I think I at most had 10 round the base,

19/04/2014 at 19:51

David, quick question, how long should the ones I have sown outside this week take to germinate?

Thanks.