London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
19/04/2014 at 20:49

cairnsie - not sure of the diameter of your obelisk from what you say. However, I would guess that a spacing of about 6ins between plants should be about right. 

OL - As with the others i.e. 7 to 21 days depending on soil temperatures.

19/04/2014 at 21:18

thanks for the reply they are about 4 inches apart should I thin them out a little.

19/04/2014 at 21:29
cairnsie wrote (see)

thanks for the reply they are about 4 inches apart should I thin them out a little.

Not really, cairnsie...because of root disturbance, it wouldn't be worth risking a check to growth....they'll be just fine.

19/04/2014 at 21:32

Thanks David, wasn't sure if it would be different with them being outside 

19/04/2014 at 21:41

You're welcome, Tracey.

Btw, tried to PM you but couldn't. So will need to say it here, I've being truly moved by the compassion & kindness you have shown to Mike and equally moved by his reaction.

One could be forgiven for not remembering that It's only a bloody message board!

19/04/2014 at 21:50

Thanks for the reply david I will leave them as they are.

19/04/2014 at 21:52

I tried to PM but it seems they aren't working again, no message box to write in!!!

Thank you David, that's very kind of you. He seems like a truly lovely and genuine man, as do a lot of people on here.  I hate that s*** that is the C word seems to happen to some of the nicest people in life, although sometimes I probably wear my heart on my sleeve too much  I hope my marriage can be as long and happy as Mike's was and he knows that because I've told him 

I think for some it is more than a message board and genuine friendships form 

19/04/2014 at 22:01

'sometimes I probably wear my heart on my sleeve too much'.....you stay just as you are, you come across as a lovely, caring lady.

'I think for some it is more than a message board and genuine friendships form' .....I wouldn't argue with that and all with a common interest that binds them together.

19/04/2014 at 22:12

20/04/2014 at 07:55
Thanks for the seedling pic David, there's definitely nothing like that in the vicinity yet! My dandelion flower - obsessed baby is a great help with weeding not had one gone to seed yet!

Just thinking about getting gear together ready for autumn sowings, would one of the mini greenhouse type things be ok for overwintering/germination. The type that has shelves in a frame covered with plastic? Thanks.
20/04/2014 at 10:14
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/008_zps6ee64ad3.jpg

For baby Linzy.

Linzy - Yes, those mini-greenhouses are fine for overwintering sweet peas...I've never owned one, but my only reservation would be their stability in strong winds. Of course, they offer no protection from cold, but sweet peas don't need it.....just protection from biting winds & rain.

The timing of seed sowing can be important. The knack is to get the seed geminated while there is sufficient autumn warmth and before the onset of really cold weather.

IMHO, much better plants result from seed germinated without artificial heat.

20/04/2014 at 11:15

Hi all question really for David,I wonder if I pinched out my sp,s too early? Should I pinch out any that look like they nedd to bush out again even if I,ve already done so? 

20/04/2014 at 11:21
rosemummy wrote (see)

Hi all question really for David,I wonder if I pinched out my sp,s too early? Should I pinch out any that look like they nedd to bush out again even if I,ve already done so? 

Of course you can, rosemummy....some people nip-out the growing tips several times.

20/04/2014 at 11:44

On the subject of pinching-out sweet peas, although most of us understand it is to encourage them to produce side shoots and make for bushier plants.

However, I thought (although no-one will be remotely interested) I would explain why. Pinching-out encourages the plants hormones called auxins to move to the side or auxiliary tips……these auxins will produce growth for new and stronger growing tips.

I really must try to get out more!

20/04/2014 at 11:46

David 

20/04/2014 at 13:03

On humans it seems to work the opposite David and despite leaving the growing tip in place, I still seem to get wider at the side  I need to move my auxins from the side tips somehow LOL 

20/04/2014 at 14:21

OL

20/04/2014 at 16:54

Teehee o.l that,s so funny!! No David,you stay where you are and keep being helpful please!!that,s v interesting,I,m really not v. Well today, months of no decent sleep have made a cold totally floor me,vzombified today so in a couple of days I,ll go out and look,  hope those flipping slugs don,t get stuck in while I,m not. Looking

20/04/2014 at 16:57

I can totally empathise with you Louise, been there twice, on one occasion both boys got chickenpox when the youngest was only 3 weeks old.  No help from anyone only OH, luckily I didn't get them or shingles but I did end up quite ill  Big hugs and hope you feel better very soon xxx PS I'm sure you're SP's will be fine so don't worry (if I lived closer I would come and check them for you) 

20/04/2014 at 20:37
Thank you, baby says 'booof' - make of that what you will!