London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
20/04/2014 at 21:58

Just Googled sweet pea images and was quite surprised just how many of my own pics are on display there. 

21/04/2014 at 15:23

My sweet peas have been in the ground now for some weeks, but still not much is happening. They grew ok indoors, but now they just sit there. If anything, it looks to me as though the growing tips may be dying off, although the side shoots are looking a little more promising. They're all around three or four inches tall. I grew them in loo rolls and pinched them out to two sets of leaves. The ground is fairly moist, so I don't think they're thirsty, and the peas that I'm growing on the same support are doing much better.

I am wondering what I've done wrong, and if there's anything I can do to fix it. Perhaps pinch out the sad looking top growth to encourage the side shoots further? 

Thank you!

21/04/2014 at 15:31

David, in building my support for the peas, do I need horizontals as well as verticals for them to climb up?

21/04/2014 at 17:17
4thPanda wrote (see)

David, in building my support for the peas, do I need horizontals as well as verticals for them to climb up?

Well, yes & no, Panda.....if it's a wigwam perhaps some pea-netting around the bottom or even some bushy twigs..... just something to get them climbing. Once they are about a foot or so high, they will climb up each other.

If I knew what type of support you were constructing, I could be more precise.

Support for cordon growing is entirely different. 

21/04/2014 at 17:20

Ommthree - I think you just need to be patient....It's still early days and I'm sure they'll catch-up when the nights are less chilly.

21/04/2014 at 17:51

I'll be honest David, I'm not sure! I'm thinking wigwam but the sticks may prefer to go outward as the pot has sloping sides, so the top is wider than the base. It depends how secure they are in wigwam shape.

21/04/2014 at 17:56

I can see the problem, P..maybe you could tie some string around the canes at intervals of 3 or 4 ins, just for say the first foot....as soon as they start climbing they'll need no help.

21/04/2014 at 18:09

Will do  Thanks David, helpful as always 

21/04/2014 at 18:09

Thanks David! I'll try to be patient. Not my forte!

21/04/2014 at 18:11
ommthree wrote (see)

Thanks David! I'll try to be patient. Not my forte!

I understand, tis so for most!

21/04/2014 at 22:38
I have the tiniest little 2 leaved thing growing in roughly the right area to possibly be a sp. Only 7 days in ground but maybe! Time for slug solution to be deployed?
22/04/2014 at 09:32
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/untitled_zps08f7a6b9.png

Googled image.

linzy wrote (see)

I have the tiniest little 2 leaved thing growing in roughly the right area to possibly be a sp. Only 7 days in ground but maybe! Time for slug solution to be deployed?

This is what they may look like, linzy.

22/04/2014 at 15:54
Alas, my thing does not look like them. Thanks for the pic tho, now I know what I am looking for. Day 8 today and a nice gentle rain so that might spur them into action!
22/04/2014 at 16:23

Visited Wisley today, they have sweet peas in full flower in the large glass house. OL would have loved it as they have an orchid display at the moment too.

22/04/2014 at 17:38

Aww, everyone is thinking of me when they see orchids LOL  I might have to pay Wisely a visit, will google where it is.

22/04/2014 at 18:40

OL its a bit of a trot from you in the North West as its in Surrey, luckily for me its only a 30 min drive.

22/04/2014 at 18:41

Thanks Scroggin, I googled  Let's just hope the ones 'up North' are as posh with their Orchids when I eventually get round to visiting one 

22/04/2014 at 19:41

Hi there this will be my first time trying to grow sugar snap peas, my stems are around 5/6 inches tall and are being grown in pots, in the last week have noticed some of the leaves have turned white and look limp what am I doing wrong

22/04/2014 at 20:55

Hello, Isla...welcome to the forum. This thread is mostly intended for those growing sweet pea flowers.

Not to worry, I'll see if I can help. 

Have been subjected to cold winds? This will have this affect, also if they have been over-watered..... especially when the nights are cold.

23/04/2014 at 08:57

hi all, david, my sweet peas are looking ok but i haven't tied them into their supports or anything yet, i'm worried they may be too far away from canes-3or 4 inches,is this too far? should i tie them in?