Start a new thread

801 to 820 of 1,143 replies

Orchid Lady

I watched the first Allotment Challenge the other day and wondered if you had watched it David, what did you think of the Sweet Peas and the advice?  I didn't see it right to the end though so no-one tell me who goes 

Just sown my first sweet peas. Soaked the seeds overnight (read that somewhere) and put them in fibre pots with coir pellets in the base (worried about soli quality when I plant out).  what im worried about is them getting too hot/dry. They are in a cool-ish store room with a window and i plan to set them in the afternoon sun daily. they are well watered. Any tips? 

David K

Hello, Emma. I have a fair grasp of growing sweet peas here in the UK, but in the absence of any knowledge of your climate, I'm not sure what advice to offer.

I do have a friend who emigrated to Cyprus a couple of years ago......despite her best efforts, she hasn't managed to grow them successfully.

OL I watched last week they said frost damaged them and i just thought of David! got next episode on planner for next nap  time think they're doing rose, hoping to pick up tips!

Advertisement

Orchid Lady

Ok  David, I'll catch up.  I think I stopped reading that as I hadn't watched it and didn't want to read any spoilers 

David K

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0433_zps3265b325.jpg

Hanging basket sweet peas were mentioned a little while ago, so I thought I would post this to give the general idea.

This is of a 14in basket, taken about March last year.

Whoop I have seedlings- roughly a 50% germination rate at the moment, with one variety noticeably fewer. Slug traps deployed and support strings in place.
Busy-Lizzie

My sweet peas are, at last, starting to grow.

Regarding the hot climate question…. didn't I read somewhere that they are native to Sicily?

David K
ommthree wrote (see)

Regarding the hot climate question…. didn't I read somewhere that they are native to Sicily?

True...discovered by a Sicilian monk, but the average temperatures are similar to here in the UK.  

mine lookj like all survived early slug onslaught, just tied loosely in, all about 5 ins tall, just waiting now...

Busy-Lizzie

The average temperature in Sicily in Jan and Feb is 13° and July and Aug is 29°, so perhaps they grow earlier in the year.

Orchid Lady

The ones I grew indoors and planted out are doing great now, have lost a couple but on the whole they are growing really well.

However, the ones I have sown direct are only just peeping through and I don't think they will all germinate  Will they catch up, they seem so tiny I can't ever imagine them being big??

David K

They should be fine...will just flower a little later, that's not so bad as they'll probably keep flowering well into the autumn.

Advertisement

David K

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0870_zpsc4f8e064.jpg

My first SP flower buds are showing and I've been asked if I would like my name to be registered for a sweet pea to be named after me....I'm honoured.

Wow, that's really something. Congratulations.
David K
linzy wrote (see)
Wow, that's really something. Congratulations.

The buds?

Orchid Lady

Fantastic achievement David and one to be truly proud of, I hope my buds appear soon too 

In all seriousness I think it is an achievement well deserved, if only for all the advice you've given us on here.  What will it be called - David? Or Mr Snail?