London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
81 to 100 of 1,134 messages
05/12/2012 at 22:03

Just to say that I understand that we may be having temperatures of around -9c next week. This is the time I may consider closing the lid on the cold-frame & perhaps throw a piece of old carpet over it.

But don't worry, the frost won't kill them (even if the compost in the pots is frozen solid)  please be careful not to water at this time.

05/12/2012 at 22:54

I can't throw a carpet over the GH David, do you think a fleece covering is called for?  

06/12/2012 at 09:19
Zoomer44 wrote (see)

I can't throw a carpet over the GH David, do you think a fleece covering is called for?  

Well yes, I would have thought throwing a bit of fleece over them would be a fair compromise.

06/12/2012 at 13:13

Thanks fro the advice - mine are in a cold greenhouse - and it made me thik about my other plants with those temps.

06/12/2012 at 21:13

This time last year I'd be bringing them inside but fleece it is. We've already had a few below freezing nights but they've stood up really well.

06/12/2012 at 21:52

Insomnia 1973  What are these flat Sweet Pea trainers & where can I get some ?????

06/12/2012 at 22:06

arbutus1 (It is me, Insomnia1973, with my Christmas head on.)

David actually sent me mine, which are the same as he uses, and I believe he gets his from the following link.

http://www.eaglesweetpeas.co.uk/gallery.php?g=8

If not, they are exactly the same. Hope this helps.

06/12/2012 at 22:08
Zoomer44 wrote (see)

This time last year I'd be bringing them inside but fleece it is. We've already had a few below freezing nights but they've stood up really well.

Zoomer, remember I referred to 'expected -9c' anything above they don't need any additional protection.

08/12/2012 at 15:12

Jo 4eyes here- have discovered this morning that all of my autumn sown seedlings have been eaten by the slimey brigade whilst in a coldframe!

Oh well, early Spring sowing on the 'to do' list! J.

08/12/2012 at 20:30

Sorry to hear about your sweet pea Jo.

Will there be no let up from the damage caused by slugs this year. I've been lucky in the GH, don't seem to get any slugs in there but as an added precaution have all my seedlings pots in gravel trays.

12/12/2012 at 23:21

Hi all

Does anybody know if you can buy yellow sweet peas?

Where from if known?

13/12/2012 at 06:08

I think I'm correct in saying that this is the colour the breeders are striving for but so far without real success 

13/12/2012 at 10:33
Gardengirl.. wrote (see)

Hi all

Does anybody know if you can buy yellow sweet peas?

Where from if known?

Sorry, Gardengirl.......sweet peas come in a very wide range of colours, but not yellow, so far.

13/12/2012 at 16:08

Here's a picture of last years (2011) sweet peas from my garden

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16587.jpg?width=446&height=265&mode=max

Do you like my new ish flower bed with sweet peas? 

Lot of different colours blues, purple, pink, white and maroon

But thought not yellow that is why I asked about that. Do like yellow colour, it reminds you of the sun and nice and bright.

I like growing sweet peas because of the smell but have brought some everlasting sweet peas this year, did not know that there is no smell.

They do grow nice and tall and make lots of cut flowers.

13/12/2012 at 19:19

Do people soak their seeds or not?

13/12/2012 at 20:10
Gardengirl.. wrote (see)

Do people soak their seeds or not?

I certainly don't as it isn't necessary, neither is chipping them.

13/12/2012 at 21:40

Bugger...I'm I too late to sow my sweet peas? I have also been told that they can be planted in old toilet tubes as they can become established well and the cardboard can be removed before planting???

14/12/2012 at 12:46

Too late now Sam, wait until Feb!

If you use toilet rolls as growing tubes, you wont need to remove the plant from it as the tube will rot down around the plants roots once in the ground.

Trying to remove the plant could damage the roots, although if the tube was already beginning to get soggy & disintergrating, then gently removing some of it would probably be possible at planting time, but no need IME. J.

15/12/2012 at 00:40
plumstrudle wrote (see)

Too late now Sam, wait until Feb!

If you use toilet rolls as growing tubes, you wont need to remove the plant from it as the tube will rot down around the plants roots once in the ground.

Trying to remove the plant could damage the roots, although if the tube was already beginning to get soggy & disintergrating, then gently removing some of it would probably be possible at planting time, but no need IME. J.

Ok, cool. Thanks. I will give that a shot in Feb then

30/12/2012 at 11:06

hey there

Some time ago David said that I should not have planted my own hanging basket sweet peas in autumn. As I had done it decided to leave them to it. I am pleased to say today when looking round my cold greenhouse there was a seedling from the sweet pea. Whether I get more I don't know. 

81 to 100 of 1,134 messages