London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
101 to 120 of 1,134 messages
30/12/2012 at 13:06

That sound good you might get more coming out yet and flowering.

I asked about yellow sweet peas and in the new catalogue of T&M found a nearest colour to yellow one I will get, so buying this one

added link below just incase anybody else wants yellow sweet peas

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-seeds/lathyrus-chloranthus-lemonade/tm03038TM

30/12/2012 at 22:32

Mines are all planted in my toilet tubes as of yesterday so waiting for them top wake up and pop their wee heads through

31/12/2012 at 19:50

Just got in the post today Mr Fothergills catalogue and they are celebrating the year of the sweet pea they have launched six exclusive varieties.

They look good

Do you buy new sweet peas to try?

or do you keep to ones you have grown before?

Where do you buy your sweet peas from?

31/12/2012 at 20:26

Gardengirl - Speaking for myself, although I'm a tad conservative in my choice of varieties of other things i.e. spuds, tomatoes, beans etc, but I do always like growing new introductions of SPs by the main nurseries.

Eagle Sweet Peas has been my first choice for several years now.

31/12/2012 at 21:27

I do like the multi coloured ones and the smell from sweet peas.

I like growing sweet pea in colour blocks sometimes and mixing them up other times. The sweet pea high scent is one I like to grow for the smell and colour.

Dwarf ones are good in hanging baskets.

Do you grow sweet peas in hanging baskets?

31/12/2012 at 21:51
Gardengirl.. wrote (see)

I do like the multi coloured ones and the smell from sweet peas.

I like growing sweet pea in colour blocks sometimes and mixing them up other times. The sweet pea high scent is one I like to grow for the smell and colour.

Dwarf ones are good in hanging baskets.

Do you grow sweet peas in hanging baskets?

Yes, I've grown them a few times, but not totally impressed by them.

I think this was the last one I grew...although it was only just beginning to flower to be honest:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/P7110008.jpg

03/01/2013 at 22:12

Hi all, I've sowed the seeds into toilet rolls before in the Spring and got a reasonable success. I covered the bottom with some sort of plastic and made drainage holes.

05/01/2013 at 16:28

After 2 weeks away came back to find only 2 shoots remaining - the rest had been eaten.

So (sorry David K) but i've brought them inside and they are all trying to grow again!, keeping them safe on the sill now.

although last spring i kept my sunflowers indoors to protect from slugs and when they were a foot high, i put them next to the patio door for light and the dog ate them!

05/01/2013 at 17:45
Sinevegas wrote (see)

After 2 weeks away came back to find only 2 shoots remaining - the rest had been eaten.

So (sorry David K) but i've brought them inside and they are all trying to grow again!, keeping them safe on the sill now.

although last spring i kept my sunflowers indoors to protect from slugs and when they were a foot high, i put them next to the patio door for light and the dog ate them!

Hmmm, barbed wire may be an option this year from your little four legged furface . I thought you were going to say your dog had lifted his leg on them. Animals can be very cheeky. I have two cats and they insist in eating anything that is green. The smallest will climb up the door just to get to the spider plant on the top of the book shelf! 

09/01/2013 at 16:21

My sweet pea look to have grown about an inch whilst I've been away, they look healthy though and aren't leggy, will it do them any harm to nip off the tips.

Fingers crossed, this could be the first winter I've gone through without any casualties.   

09/01/2013 at 18:23

They sound fine to me, Zoomer.....no need to nip out the growing tips until they have 3 pairs of leaves.

Anyway, the weather is set to turn colder soon and this nipping out is best done during a mild spell.

09/01/2013 at 19:26

Most have 3 prs of leaves David, some were nipped earlier in December and have side shoots but I'm not worried about them, so will wait for a milder spell to nip any more.

The penny has finally dropped regarding mollycoddling, I've foxglove and parsley doing well in the garden with no TLC.

11/01/2013 at 12:04

I have more than 3 pairs of leaves. Should I pinch now or wait until snow has gone. They are not leggy. Followed your advice all the way and pleased with success so far. Thabks.

11/01/2013 at 12:26

Rosa carriola wrote (see)

I have more than 3 pairs of leaves. Should I pinch now or wait until snow has gone. They are not leggy. Followed your advice all the way and pleased with success so far. Thabks.

Inasmuch as leaving an open wound to heal during frosty weather isn't good for the plants, I would wait until there is a window of 3 or 4 days of frost-free days &  nights.

11/01/2013 at 19:33

11/01/2013 at 20:26

Pardon?

14/01/2013 at 19:41

The vegetation of the sweet peas I grew last year in my window box are still green and health,  so I did not pull them out. Will they flower again this coming summer or should I dispose of them.

Many thanks to anyone who can supply and answer.

14/01/2013 at 21:21

Carole - There are both perennial & annual sweet peas, although I would guess that as yours being grown in a window-box are annuals...probably a dwarf variety as normal sweet peas would soon swamp a window-box. Perennial SPs are extremely rampant, so I doubt if yours are those.

Oddly enough, both usually die-back in the autumn. It's usual to cut back perennials to ground level (they will regrow from the base in the spring) and dig out annuals completely. 

15/01/2013 at 23:08

Oh, Perennial Sweet Peas??? Where can I get some of those? I thought they were only annuals

16/01/2013 at 08:07

Google Everlasting Sweet Peas - most seedsmen sell them - they're pretty but have no scent 

101 to 120 of 1,134 messages