London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
5 messages
22/02/2014 at 11:22

How often should Growmore Granules be used as general purpose fertilizer?  I often hear its use advised on gardening programmes, but no-one ever says how often!  Your opinions would be appreciated.    Thanks, Mags

22/02/2014 at 11:36

Hi, Mags....*Growmore is a general balanced fertilizer and is intended to address all three nutriment requirements of the soil. It has a NPK rating of 7-7-7, translated means 7 equal parts of Nitrogen (leaf growth) phosphates (root growth) and potash (fruit & flowers) application is usually in soil preparation for a new planting/sowing.  

*Growmore (then known as National Growmore) was introduced by the government during WW2 as part of the nation's 'Dig for Victory' campaign.  

I do use it sometimes, but prefer it in the liquid form these days.

22/02/2014 at 14:21

thanks david.

23/02/2014 at 14:11

It might seem a pity to use a product made in a factory rather than something nicely rotted on a compost heap?  Of course, not everyone has the space to do that.   We use pelleted organic chicken manure in April, sprinkled all over everywhere and in anything,  and then liquid seaweed based fertiliser for anything else that needs a boost in the year. 

23/02/2014 at 19:29

Never use Growmore.   For me it's very caustic and any wildlife in the soil is destroyed by contact with it until dissolved. Organic fertilisers are slower acting, except dried blood, and far more gentle to the soil.

Use just prior to seed sowing, in early spring for plants and again in late/mid summer to re-energise plant performance until autumn. I've come to use less fertiliser now, organic or artificial, preferring to add compost/manure to soil.

email image
5 messages