London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
19 messages
12/04/2013 at 18:05

dependant on where in the country you are (Yorkshire here), do you think you've had your last frost?

i'm still guessing but I'm keen to catch up on lost time and seed my lawn....

Do i or dont i???

12/04/2013 at 18:08

I don't think we've had the last frost but I'd seed a lawn. The days will be warmer and a night frost won't be a problem to grass.

12/04/2013 at 18:12
Bagz wrote (see)

dependant on where in the country you are (Yorkshire here), do you think you've had your last frost?

i'm still guessing but I'm keen to catch up on lost time and seed my lawn....

Do i or dont i???

Last frost by 12th April??-highly unlikely-you could hazard a guess in around 4 weeks or so.

12/04/2013 at 18:13

Don't know anything about seeding a lawn sorry, but do think we are all might get some more frosts this year

12/04/2013 at 19:16

Essex here should be warmer from now on, but I've even known a frost early May on a warm year. No knowing if we'll have one later, but for now I'm keeping fingers crossed and will get the seedlings off the windowsills and into the cold greenhouse.

12/04/2013 at 19:25

In my long experience of gardening, the most damaging frosts are the late ones, and there is plenty of time for that. The whole country, even the south-west is at risk for at least 4 weeks. Sorry  

12/04/2013 at 19:29

Woodgreen WB, I fear you are right; I was always told, even in London to expect frost up until May 18th. having said that most years I put my overwintered in conservatory pelagoniums out in mid April as I get fed up with them taking up so much space.

12/04/2013 at 19:34

Was at my local garden centre this afternoon and was talking to the guy who is in charge of the plants. He said last week in May not before for planting bedding and annuals here in Scotland.  

12/04/2013 at 19:35

I'd go for it.  We're probably in for more frosts (Sheffield here, so may be local-ish), but grass survives being covered with snow, even if it doesn't enjoy it.  Seed the lawn, and as long as you brush the seed in with some sand, and it doesn't get eaten by birds, it will germinated in it's own good time.

I wouldn't plant out anything frost tender yet for at least another 4 weeks - probably more like 6.

12/04/2013 at 19:36
Frost or not, seed your lawn
12/04/2013 at 19:47

Grass not at much risk but be careful with most everything else. Even hardy plants can have soft new growth that can be massacred.....just think of roses as an example. Mine have had this year's growth cut back by frost at least once, and all roses are as tough as my boots. And I live in the sunny south!!

13/04/2013 at 18:36

i agree with you Woodgreen wonderboy, I'm in the SE too and the late frost got quite a lot of plants, All the young rose shoots were singed, two of the pontitilla are looking very sad too.The shoots of the tree peony,bleeding heart, euphorbia etc.have been affected too. So please be patient a little longer as the nights are still cold. It is heart breaking when you see robust, healthy plants are affected.

13/04/2013 at 19:58

Back in the 1980's I nearly lost a Pieris to a late frost in April!! Imagine that, a Pieris is a mountain plant and as hardy as anything. The frost killed off 80% of it and I only saved it by cutting back hard and nurturing it back to growth. I still have it. in a pot!

13/04/2013 at 20:41

Yesterday everyone was defending MD for saying, wait, today you should go for it what am I like.

I will just get me coat

13/04/2013 at 20:52

Couple of yearsago I finished sorting an area of garden that needed a grass pth. It was late October. I sowed the grass, it germinated, the snow came, stayed for weeks, when it melted there was my grass, just waiting to get on with growing.

13/04/2013 at 21:40

im taking a chance here in torquay been gardening does anyone else lose hand tools i put them down and am sure they just disappere must have gone through a dozen trowerls or more

13/04/2013 at 21:44

Chica -tie something bright to the handles or give them a lick of bright paint to make them easier to spot. I'm the same-always losing secateurs!

13/04/2013 at 21:46

thanks fairygirl great idea now why dident i think of that

13/04/2013 at 21:48

A pair of my secateurs spent a year in the compost heap. OH renovated those and they lasted a couple of years before I picked them up with some sticks and put them through the shredder. 

Today I couldn't find my gloves at end of play. Serves me right for getting green ones. Haven't done today's shredding yet.

email image
19 messages