London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
21/04/2012 at 18:25

Just thought I would write with  a Handy Hint regarding Garden Labels . I had purchased some Wooden garden  labels from my local Wilkinsons Store and the cost was 10 for £1.28p. that price alone seemed much cheaper than garden websites and auction sites  I had looked at,  however when tidying up my daughters bedroom, I found in her Beauty Case ( she`s a Beautician ) some wooden spatulas that are used to apply wax, they looked very much like the wooden labels I had purchased, apart from the ends which  were rounded,instead of pointed at one end.  I looked on line to price the wax spatulas, and found that I can buy 100 for the price of £ 1.50p. That will do me fine, I have ordered the spatulas which even come with free p&p, they should be able to stick in the ground along seed drills or new plants in the garden.At that cheap price I will be able to use a permanant marker on the spatulas when labeling plants etc thus avoiding the weather rubbing off the plant  names . I will recap this review if I have any problems, Hope its helpful to all you gardeners out there

21/04/2012 at 19:49

You can also buy them from the local chemist - called tongue depressants (so the doc can see your tonsils). They look like 5" long lollipop sticks. I bought a pack of 200 to use in my classes. I write each student's name on a stick, and put each class set in a mug. I slect at random when throwing out questions to check learning, five seconds after posing the question. Great at the beginning of the year when i can't remember names. And good for plant labels too. 

22/04/2012 at 22:13

I had a few wooden ones last year & where I used a felt pen is now a damp, black & muddy mess, but where I used a biro it's more legible. (They might be better if the stick dried out).

23/04/2012 at 07:43

Did you use a water based pen or a permanent one? 

23/04/2012 at 08:10

i did't  do that

23/04/2012 at 08:36

With my collection of roses now reaching 72 and with my memory being what it is, I've tried variuos types of plant labels over the years and finally come up with some which are clear and don't deteriorate in sunlight. They are black plastic 'paddle type' labels, 24cm Flat T labels (10 for £3) and I use Artline 440XF PaintMarkers 0.8mm and 1.2mm pens in white. These are obtainable from www.labelsnthings.co.uk

The labels are crystal clear and can be read when at the back of the borders. Best things since sliced bread!

23/04/2012 at 14:03

Good idea Highland Jeannie about the biro idea when labeling and thanks too Gold 1 Locks about the Tongue Depressants to use as labeling too I will ask at my local chemists for my next supply. We gardeners must help each other with all the hints and tips, brilliant . x

23/04/2012 at 14:12

How about using the slats off an old ventian blind, cut up and write on them with a wax pencil. (Apparently permanent markers aren't permanent in the sun) I've just heard of this one and I'm just searching to see in anyone has an old blind and I'm going to give it a go. I will get hundreds of labels out of an average sized blind.

23/04/2012 at 14:15
I have heard that some thrifty folk cut up old yoghourt pots and the like for labels.
23/04/2012 at 14:20

No, no, no. PaintMarkers are the way to go. Everything else fades and when it does, you've probably lost the plant's name. Ideally I'd prefer the engraved Formica labels seen at gardens like Wisley, but I don't know how they manage to do theirs.

24/04/2012 at 09:30

Well I do now. They use an expensive engraver, too expensive for me.

24/04/2012 at 18:24

Last year I used the small wooden coffee sticks in my propagator, the permanent marker writing disappeared & they went mouldy. Very humid in there though.

This year I tried a previously read suggestion of white plastic milk bottles, I thoroughly degreased them, sliced them up & my marker wouldn't write on them. A CD marker did though & although they're less rigid than bought plastic ones, they are working well enough. Worth the effort if you get through hundreds.

24/04/2012 at 19:17

I have a more maverick approach to gardening, in that I don't label anything; thus get a surprise at what pops up, and then get the added bonus, of trawling through my gardening books, trying to find out what the plants I planted were/are.

(I know. I know... )

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/6987.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

25/04/2012 at 12:35

Going back to the wooden sticks, lollipop sticks are good (nice excuse to eat ice lollipops, especially those rich chocolatey ones!), a soft lead pencil works best and lasts well - but stuck in a wet pot they will eventually rot away. 

25/04/2012 at 12:53

I use soft lead pencil on plastic white labels, but the plastic goes brittle after a couple of years. I used to use aluminium labels that you write on with a sharp pointed metal scriber. They last forever but you have to get up close and personal to read them. 

25/04/2012 at 20:36

I just cut up my old plastic milk containers into strips, then use a permanent black marker pen to write the name on, Doesn't cost a penny and are reusable!!

26/04/2012 at 09:11

Well us gardeners use our loaves when it comes to thrifty ideas in the garden , if anyone has any more ideas  about anything that costs less than buying the expensive alternative in anything to do with the garden, it will be much appreciated all round. x

26/04/2012 at 16:11

Aldi have white plastic labels 99p for 50 which i thought was reasonable value.  Got 3 packs but i think that is total overkill now i'm home.  Had to resist the urge for another mini greenhouse mind, for sale for £30 which seemed pretty good value.  As this is my first year at growing anything i should really see how i get on first lol

26/04/2012 at 20:03

Chickey, I stocked up at Aldi today too, they are good big labels aren't they? It won't be overkill, by the way, labels disappear like odd socks!

27/04/2012 at 10:45

No such thing as overkill on labels, what you don't lose, the weather make brittle, the blackbirds move, will become incomprehensible over time - and yu will plant new and different things. Stock up while you can.

1 to 20 of 28 messages