London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
11 messages
12/06/2014 at 21:27

Hi all, we have about 12 big hanging baskets to do, now Kate wants a mix of whites blues, mauve's , purples and pinks,  im up with how to do them and watering rules but which plants to get ,not really a clue,I did find Lobelia  looks good but then im lost as to what can be used in baskets. so im hoping to get some suggestions please.

cheers Alan4711

12/06/2014 at 21:52

Hi Alan - to start you off what about surfinias (all sorts of colours), trailing begonias and fuchsias ....

12/06/2014 at 22:00

I like callies (mini petunias) these come in a wide range of colours. I find something silvery like Helichrysum works well too

12/06/2014 at 22:06

I found trailing verbena from suttons in blue, lilac & pink...don't know if they are still selling...

12/06/2014 at 22:39

Trailing fuchsias, geraniums, santavitalia if you want yellow - getting a bit late now so may have less choice in what you can get.  Many garden centres and nurseries have good stocks, so just go and look and see what you like.  Use some pretty foliage too, there are some lovely silvery ones, yellows and shades of green.  Diascas can look good, anagalis 'sky lover' one of my favourites, though can object to life in a basket if a bit windy - really try to look at what is available locally and see what you find attractive.  

13/06/2014 at 07:06
Nearly all bedding plants, annuals, perennials etc will be fine in hanging baskets even young (so small) shrubs. Just avoid anything to tall as they may get bashed by the chains and the wind.

There should still be a good choice at the garden centres and you may find some being discounted as it's getting towards the end of the peak (buying) season.

I don't have hanging baskets but we always get a great show from petunias, verbena and pelargoniums (esp. Trailing varieties) in our window boxes and you should be able to get those in the colours you want.
14/06/2014 at 10:36

Bacopa or Sutera are good trailers. Lots of daisy flowers. Comes in white, purple, blues.

Verbena around the edges

Nemesias and diascias seem to flower on and on and on

14/06/2014 at 22:36

Right then ,many thanks for all your advise for the baskets were looking at all the plants advised Cheers Alan4711 

20/06/2014 at 14:02

every year i do 18 baskets, 2 cone wall hangers a long trough of sweat peas, 5 wall and fence troughs, a huge raised log bed, a half water butt planter plus the usual beds

most i grow from seed and design my own, but this year aldi did hanging basket flower disk so i brought 2 packs total 4 disc and i have to say they are as good and fully formed as any hanging basket i have done, and at a cost of £4.00  for 2 packs i found it great value for money. but i get a wee bit fed up sitting in a wheelchair and haveing to water them each day i get soaked.

20/06/2014 at 17:22

Chriss 25 what is a flower disc please how do they work,

05/07/2014 at 10:11

alan a flower disk is seeds of flowers laid between two disolvable materials

they are laid on to a basket filled with compost then lightly covered with compost watered daily hay presto flowers.

email image
11 messages