Start a new thread

661 to 672 of 672 replies

Sam 37

I don't mind admitting that I find the "Brexit mess" very worrying.  Prices are constantly going up whilst the  economy only thrives in the heads of quitters.  I was, therefore, amused (if that's the right word for it) to receive this from a non-quitter friend:

Sam 37

I wish I knew how to improve the quality of the image!

Artemis3

What biting sarcasm!

But it is amusing.  Painfully! 

Danae dan-Ah-ee

Yes, our economy, amongst so many other self-inflicted troubles, is worrying.

Danae dan-Ah-ee

I failed to state that before the referendum, the British economy was the fastest growing amongst the G7 countries; now it's the slowest! 

Advertisement

Sam 37

Our difficulties are certainly self-inflicted and though the manipulators of the masses brought this about for personal gain, many who voted in the same manner ignorantly, perhaps, did it for "patriotic" reasons.

TYPES OF EXITERS

I hasten to add, the names are fictional and don't refer to any specific Linda, Gary etc.

Danae dan-Ah-ee

I suppose many of them believed in a Brexit fairyland.  And now we're already suffering because those who worked on our farms and hospitals are leaving for sunnier and saner places!

Artemis3

You shouldn't despise Fairylands!

Artemis3

We can try and laugh about it but the state of the NHS is most unsettling.  All those EU doctors and nurses leaving us!  

Sam 37

I suppose we can import spuds from non-EU countries easily enough but NHS staff is quite another matter.   They're leaving us and we can't replace them with our own clinitians.

House of Commons Library 

One NHS, Many Nationalities: where are NHS staff from?

Following the vote to leave the EU, the status of EU nationals already working in the UK has become uncertain. The NHS is affected by this issue, because 5% of its staff are nationals of other EU countries.

Nationality of NHS staff

12% of NHS staff say that their nationality is non-British, representing a total of 199 different nationalities.

5% report a nationality of an EU country other than the UK – that’s almost 59,000 people. Of these, over 70% are from ‘old’ EU countries – those which joined the EU before 2004.

One quarter of EU staff are from Ireland.  Polish, Spanish, and Portuguese are the next most common.  Together, these four nationalities make up almost three-fifths of EU NHS staff.  The EU countries with the lowest NHS representation are Luxembourg (13) and Slovenia (113).

Looking at non-EU countries, the most common nationalities are Indian and Philippine. These are the second and third most common nationalities in the NHS, with Irish fourth. The next-most common non-EU nationalities are Nigerian and Zimbabwean.

What areas of the NHS do EU staff work in?

Just over 35% of NHS staff from other EU countries, or 21,000, work as nurses. This amounts to 7% of all nurses.

Since 2009 there have been large increases in the number of nurses from Spain, Portugal, Italy and Romania.

In percentage terms, EU staff have the highest representation among doctors – they make up almost 1 in 10 of this category.

Among EU doctors, Greeks are notably represented –over 70% of Greek staff in the NHS work as doctors, compared with one-sixth of all EU staff.

More in London, less in the North East

One-third of all EU NHS staff work in London, while one-sixth work in the north of England. As a percentage of the workforce, EU staff make up over 10% of staff in all of the NHS’s London workforce regions. By contrast, they make up only 1.5% of NHS staff (1 in 67) in the North East

Last edited: 23 February 2018 22:37:00

Artemis3

It looks almost certain that Farage is going to get his wish.

Sam 37

As he's want to do.