Start a new thread

61 to 80 of 312 replies

Hi Danae, if you scroll down to HEALTHCARE REFORM

you'll find several letters just below that.

As for lace-trimmed bloomers, I think they do come without also!

Thank you, Phaidra.  I have read both links and now feel more anxious about Brexit than ever, though the ironic comments made me smile painfully.

I think the IN people didn't really do a good job of properly explaining the pros and cons, whilst  the gutter press, xenophobes and racists had a field day, every day.  I admit that it took me quite a while to decide which way to vote and it was mostly the fact that it was Putin, Trump and Farage that were amongst those who wanted Britain to leave the EU that convinced me it could not possibly be good for Britain.

May and Corbyn, who, in my opinion, are crypto-Brexiters, are saying they're respecting the will of the people, so when the people suffer as a result, they can tell them, that's what you wanted!

And now we are leaving a huge market to join the Americans so we can have chlorinated chicken.  How wise is that!  

Self-harm and own-goal, of course, but the chicken is going to be clean!

josusa47

I hope this thread is the right place for garden-themed jokes.

A young lad starts his first job in a garden centre.  "The art of salesmanship," says the colleague supervising him, "is to get people to buy more than they planned.  You have to make connections. For instance, if someone buys a packet of lawn seed, you tell them they won't get the best out of it unless they also buy a top-of-the-range fertiliser.  If they agree to buy that, then you suggest that they save themselves another visit by buying a lawnmower, because they're soon going to need one. 

"Now, go and ask that young lady over there what she's looking for, and whatever she wants, try and think of something else she'll need to go with it."  As the youngster approaches the lady, he notices she's looking uncomfortable and embarrassed.  She whispers in his ear,  "I don't suppose I can buy tampons or sanitary towels here, can I?" 

"I'm afraid not, madam," he says, "but you could buy your husband a lawnmower."

"Why should I do that?"

"Well, his weekend's ruined, so he might as well mow the lawn."

josusa47
Danae dan-Ah-ee says:

Amazing how many people use language, originally relating to animals, for human beings. The commonest such words are, probably, paws, beaks, mandibles, amongst others, though I don't think this phenomenon is as common as the anthropomorphising of animals.  All of them are quite amusing, I think, when not used unpleasantly.  Your friend sounds rather humorous.  I hope her daughter is still feeding out of the same nosebag with her beloved!  

See original post

Among my retirement pursuits, I'm learning to ride and to play the trombone (but not at the same time). Recently the stable put me on a dinky little pony with a short stride, and as I tried to rise to his trot, I found myself thinking that the effort involved was a bit like trying to play the trombone in semi-quavers.  How's that for mixing metaphors.

Advertisement

josusa47

Yesterday at 23:44

I hope this thread is the right place for garden-themed jokes.

Hi Josusa, nice to see you here! 

This thread is about anything we find amusing, ironically funny or plain daft.  In The Potting Shed we can talk about things that are not remotely horticulture-related, which is really nice.  I'm sure your contributions will be thoroughly appreciated, so, hopefully, they'll be frequent. 

josusa47 says:
Danae dan-Ah-ee says:

Amazing how many people use language, originally relating to animals, for human beings. The commonest such words are, probably, paws, beaks, mandibles, amongst others, though I don't think this phenomenon is as common as the anthropomorphising of animals.  All of them are quite amusing, I think, when not used unpleasantly.  Your friend sounds rather humorous.  I hope her daughter is still feeding out of the same nosebag with her beloved!  

See original post

Among my retirement pursuits, I'm learning to ride and to play the trombone (but not at the same time). Recently the stable put me on a dinky little pony with a short stride, and as I tried to rise to his trot, I found myself thinking that the effort involved was a bit like trying to play the trombone in semi-quavers.  How's that for mixing metaphors.

See original post

Hi Josusa, I hope they won't try to get you to "play the trombone" in demi-semi-quavers next time!  Tell them they must supply you with a better steed or..., well, you can show them the trombone! 

Enjoy your hobbies and mix your metaphors as often as you wish, as long as you're having fun.

Phaidra

22 Jul 2017 18:13

…. Of course, those whose machinations brought us to this, will prosper.  Farage already said, "If Brexit doesn't work, I'll leave Britain."  He's irritated so many with his xenophobia, racism and lies that, no wonder, Philip Pullman called him " a b***ock-faced foghorn of ignorance."

I have heard so many openly state they only voted OUT because noone was controlling immigration, not knowing, of course, the EU has clear migration rules for any government to implement.  They didn't know because nobody told them.  The government did not mention them for the simple reason they didn't, and still dont, know exact numbers.  That wasn't the fault of the EU, or the migrants.  It was, and is, caused by the fact that we have no identity cards.  I don't think it was a EU ruling that ever stopped us from having them either.

But it's so much more fun to shout from the roof-tops one's "patriotism" and bully those who are prepared to do the jobs others are often too lazy or unqualified to do.  THEM MIGRANTS!

But they come over here, Danae, and take all our marmalade!

Ah, but "patriotism" is so virtuous, Danae....

Indeed, and one of its most profoundly shining examples is that ptovided by the Nazis, no doubt??

I believe Mair, the murderer of Jo Cox, was an admirer of this sort of patriotism too. 

Horrifying that so many felt free to act out their hate, influenced by the rantings of Britain First, Farage and their likes. 

A few weeks after the Brexit vote, my Italian-born dentist, who has a dental practice with her English son, was doing some shopping at her local supermarket with her "A" Level student granddaughter.  As the latter was taking her Italian A/L, they were talking in Italian for extra practice. 

Suddenly a woman yelled at my dentist, "You fu***ng  get out of my country."  Her granddaughter was shocked and responded, "You ignorant creature, it's her country too." 

The lump of gutter slime wasn't having that, "I was born HERE, she weren't," she yelled.

"So were all the sewer rats too," replied the teenager.

The creature saw nobody was taking her side, so she walked away cursing "them bl**dy immigrants."

My dentist told me the story a while after it had happened and I could see she was still rather shocked by the vulgarity, the ill-breeding and the hatred of a woman who looked just about half her age and on whom she had never clapped her eyes before.

I found this on social media.  Email it to your dentist?                     

josusa47

Reminds me of the episode reported in the Guardian a while ago.  A man on a bus worked himself into a fit of rage against a lady in a hijab and her young son, who were conversing in a language the man didn't recognise.  "If you're living in our country, you should speak our language!" He spluttered.  Another passenger gently intervened.  "We're in Wales, and they're speaking Welsh."

Phaidra says:

Horrifying that so many felt free to act out their hate, influenced by the rantings of Britain First, Farage and their likes. 

See original post

As one commentator said at the time, the brexit vote did not show that 52% of the country are racist but it does mean that the racists now believe that 52% of the country agree with them. 

Advertisement

Artemis3 says:

I found this on social media.  Email it to your dentist?                     

See original post

YES!

I think I will also add Philip Pullman's description:" b***ock-faced foghorn of ignorance".  They're sure to make her giggle!

josusa47 says:

Reminds me of the episode reported in the Guardian a while ago.  A man on a bus worked himself into a fit of rage against a lady in a hijab and her young son, who were conversing in a language the man didn't recognise.  "If you're living in our country, you should speak our language!" He spluttered.  Another passenger gently intervened.  "We're in Wales, and they're speaking Welsh."

See original post

I have long since believed xenophobia and racism are characteristics of the ignorant.

raisingirl says:
Phaidra says:

See original post

As one commentator said at the time, the brexit vote did not show that 52% of the country are racist but it does mean that the racists now believe that 52% of the country agree with them. 

See original post
I'm certain that the majority who voted OUT, were not xenophobes or racists but did so because they were troubled by the numbers of EU citizens living and working in Britain.  They did not know (Farage and his sort were not mentioning such truths in order to fool the confused) that EU migrants brought in to the economy over £14 billion; however, it's true that non-EU migrants cost the country money.  Now that Brexodus has started and highly qualified, professionals are leaving, how's that going to help the economy?

I have no idea what went wrong above.  However, this was my message:

I'm certain that the majority who voted OUT, were not xenophobes or racists but did so because they were troubled by the numbers of EU citizens living and working in Britain.  They did not know (Farage and his sort were not mentioning such truths in order to fool the confused) that EU migrants brought in to the economy over £14 billion; however, it's true that non-EU migrants cost the country money.  Now that Brexodus has started and highly qualified, professionals are leaving, how's that going to help the economy?

A truth-telling con artist?

You know Mark Twain said, "It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled."

Rather disconcerting, I know, but we all believe we are so clever that can't believe some unprincipled liar has proved we're not!