Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hedgehogs!

Hedgehog house has been deployed, hopefully one of of regulars will make use of it...

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845

How about a photo Steve?mi would love to out one up in my wood but wouldn't know where to startimage

I pile up log mounds will that help? I haven't seen any evidence of any inhabitants image

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • There are lots of different types. Do you see hedgepigs?

Love the typo!  No not for a couple of years which is why I started putting piles around. We used to have a huge old chap who could go at some pace across the front of the house and ate half if the back gate to get in! But I haven't seen him this year.

presumably they are all hibernating just now? 

A A Milne
  • Our two regulars aren't. They appear for food each night.

ok, we are  rural here and back into farmland so presuming there is enough food

am I wrong? And what do I put out to make sure they get it and not our local fox!

A A Milne
  • Google has lots of info, definitely worth a bit of research. One of ours just turned up, the other I released after he spent some time in my clinic after being hurt.

thanks will doimage

A A Milne
  • I was wondering when to stop feeding tooimage Hardly ever see them but there's at least two. The food keeps going but I don't know if it's the pigs eating itimage 

Wearside, England.
  • Ours are visible every evening in the garden, they say that if food is covered so other species don't nick it, you should stop feeding after a week of it not disappearing.

• Righto- I'll do that. Still finding poo all over so they must still be out and aboutimage

Wearside, England.