Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 1,914 replies

The potting shed

Hello Forkers ... August edition

A friendly place of frolics and conversation where everyone is welcome to join in to chat and procrastinate to their heart's content...

Jump to latest post

1 to 20 of 1,914 replies

Dovefromabove

Hello everyone   ...  August starts here ... 

Dovefromabove

It's a beautiful morning ... very calm and still ... Just the sounds of wood pigeons and a crow or two, and a robin chinking in the holly across the road ... but the weatherman has just mentioned the possibility of thunder this afternoon ...

Pat E

Hello Dove. Fancy it already beingbAugust!  The year is flying by. 

Hubby put a wildlife camera in my veg garden while we were away and we left the gate open, to see who might venture in. Surprisingly, as well as the expected Kangaroos, birds and a rabbit, there was an echidna. I'll see if we can separate a photo of it. Something is enjoying the leaves from the Kale and Broccolini, but I've deliberately let the beds lie fallow until spring, so I don't mind.

Dovefromabove

Oooh my OH would love to see a photo of an echidna 

We're off to Cornwall at the end of the month, stopping off to see Hosta and his Lovely Hub on the way.

On the way back we're booked into a hotel for a couple of nights and will spend a day at Whipsnade Zoo ... I've not been since Wonky was small ...

It's a marvellous place where lots of endangered species are part of breeding and reintroduction programmes ... the enclosures are spacious and really well designed. I lived nearby when I was small and can remember trips there ... The wallabies roam free and some escaped and now live wild in the area ... that'll  make you smile 

Joyce21

Morning Dove, Pat and others as they arrive.

Advertisement

Pat E

Hi Joyce. Dove,  I like the idea of wallabies escaping, but I suppose not everyone is pleased.

Dovefromabove

He's gorgeous! What is he?

I think people are used to the wallabies now ... Most of them seem to hang around Dunstable Downs which is a natural open space. Pa did moan about occasional crop damage tho, and from the Muntjacs and Water deer. 

chicky

Makes my wildlife look quite tame 

Hope the thunder forecasts are wrong - littlest Chicklet is heading off to camp in the New Forest with her friends for the next few days  She could get wet and muddy 

Joyce21

Pat, the echidna is like a giant hedgehog who will snuffle around your garden.

Birds are so colourful.

Pat E

The parrots are Crimson Rosellas. 

Pat E

The white on is a White Cockatoo

The pink and grey ones are Galahs. 

They all bully the Rosellas - probably because they are bigger.

Pat E

Yes I agree  dove.  I seem to be running out of bird feed though. When I put some out today, two Rosellas arrived and were politely nibbling away and then out of nowhere 8 Galahs zoomed in and hooshed the Rosellas away. I don't know how they know when I put the feed out. Bush telegraph perhaps.

two loads of washing successfully done and dried today, so I feel quite chuffed. Just the smalls to do tomorrow. 

Are they "pets" Pat, or like our "wild" birds over here? It always seems to me that other countries have beautiful birds, and flowers growing wild so to speak. Most of our birds seem to be brown (dont start off forum, about blue tits,yellow hammers etc) I am talking in general, I do have pidgeons,gulls, they are saying good morning now. We moan about the UK and all the rain, but I remember a few years back we went to Madera got talking to some "natives", they said they love England because its so green, and of course without the rain, it wouldnt be.  Whle its facscinating going to places like Teneriff, they are very brown,sandy,dry, although I know the other side, in the north it is green.Nothing against our wildflowers either.  Took the dogs and grandkids to Friston Woods yeserday, my grandaughter and I had great fun looking at the amazing array of wild flowers.  Well,consultant today, folks!

Pat E

Hi Nanny b, they aren't tame, but if I give a particular whistle, the Rosellas appear from somewhere mysterious.. I'm getting quite good at it, but invariably, I get my mouth ready to try and find I've got a dry mouth  I blame the amount of carb soda in commercially made bread. 

Advertisement

Collared doves. Hate them with a vengeance. Nothing more than fancy pigeons. Vermin! As the RSPB describe them: 'Monotonous call' or as BBC Nature says: 'Irritating noise.' No peace from dawn to dusk. I think I will rig up a speaker and blast them with the sounds of a predator bird.

Fairygirl

Morning all/afties Pat. Where has July gone? 

Lovely pix. Birds are great. The galahs look quite large. Are they pigeon sized? NIce to see the echidna-  that really is a delightful addtiion to the garden 

I couldn't live anywhere but Scotland. The heat in England would kill me, never mind anywhere else! It's why the landscape, in the north west particularly, is so spectacular. Without the weather we get, we wouldn't have that. Centuries of scouring 

Another grey, cool day here. All  the rowans are laden with scarlet berries and look beautiful.Got the grass done last night before the rain came back in, which was handy.

chicky - wet and muddy is all part of the 'fun'...isn't it? I'm always amazed at how lots of girls can be so particular about every aspect of themselves - hair, makeup et al, yet when they get the chance to be manky for several days, it all goes out the window!  

I'll haev a very quick look round before I go. Have a great day everyone 

Pat E

Fairy, my bird book says that Galahs measure 36 cm. not sure about pigeons since there seems to be many different types.

Dovefromabove
Robert343 says:

Collared doves. Hate them with a vengeance. Nothing more than fancy pigeons. Vermin! As the RSPB describe them: 'Monotonous call' or as BBC Nature says: 'Irritating noise.' No peace from dawn to dusk. I think I will rig up a speaker and blast them with the sounds of a predator bird.

See original post

Think I'd find that even more irritating 

Pat E

I'm a bit sorry that my photos have turned to a sour note. Didn't mean to upset people.  Apologies everyone.