London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
22/11/2013 at 09:15
Morning all

My GH seems full to bursting too - not sure how i ever managed without it. One of this winter's projects is to move it - looks like i might need to build an extra day into the project plan just to take all the pots out and put them back in again!
22/11/2013 at 09:18

Yes, I've spent the last 13 years either at a desk, in a car or on a service user's sofa   Coupled with a manager who bought chocolate cake for us all at the first sign of a stressful day  - and I enjoy cooking!!!  It's so good that I met OH who enjoys eating even more than I do!  The metabolism of an Irish jockey!

Panda ((hugs)) good to see you - treat yourself kindly. It's only now that I've stopped that I've discovered how tired I was - give yourself plenty of time - it's the only way to get better 

22/11/2013 at 11:10

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34353.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Just popped in for a coffee. I've been lifting pots into the conservatory including this Bird of Paradise plant. It's got about seven flower spikes on but they never seem to open before about April. It's really pot bound and neglected but maybe that's why it flowers every year.

22/11/2013 at 11:11

Sorry, meant to say 'hello', Panda. Look after yourself as Dove says. 

22/11/2013 at 11:46

Hello again - that's one heck of a BoP plant Pam - bet it looks amazing when it's out!

I'm back from Sainsbugs and farmshop - just having a coffee before I unpack the shopping and start making banana chutney. 

22/11/2013 at 11:50

Hi Pottie ( and everyone else too) I am no expert when it comes to indoor plants and exotics, but plants often flower well if they think they are under some threat or other. So, your BoP may think it is not being pampered enough, or perhaps it thinks it may have upset you, so it gets on and flowers before you take it to the tip?   Seriously it is a truly lovely specimen and whatever your care regime might be is working wonders. I have a rubber plant that I have had for more than 40 years, the only indoor plant that has ever deigned to live with me. It is in fact a cutting of the original which got too big. This one is now taller than me and about 6 ft across.  I have a lovely spacious and sunny landing, and it sits in front of my favourite painting. However perhaps I need to do another cutting?  My guess is that the first cutting was taken when I had had it for about 22/23 years, and this one is another 18/19 years on from that. She is called "Gwendoline"

KEF
22/11/2013 at 15:50

Back from SM, our shop & M's...how can one elderly lady eat so much? Least I don't need to worry she's no appetite.

Pottie, that's such an amazing specimen.

Sir Woodgreen, you seem to have a way with Rubber plants ( I didn't, all ariel roots and those moss sticks or was that a Swiss cheese? )..What will you call daughter of Gwendoline?  

Sun has gone and temperature has plummeted. More pots to wrap tomorrow and some plants to mulch. Some plastic buckets to clean and store. Have nipped out and covered crown of Gunnera, thinking maybe a bad frost tonight. Outside tap now wrapped up.

BFN

Sorry, hello all

22/11/2013 at 17:04
itching to get in garden this weekend, sorry don't want to tempt fate (transfer to quote thread) but I've got wellies n waterproofs...
not sure what plans i have til I get out and look for things to do. Cosmos needs removing, I feel a list coming on, manure pellet spreading, GH plant checking and rearranging, feel free to add jobs for me, yes must ask neighbours who to get toremove tree stump ah but need to get OH to agree/understand then he will prob do it himself, buy new chainsaw or get OH to fix existing one, take some salvia and kaffir into house....
That's if my heads ok tomorrow after another night of revellry tonight.
22/11/2013 at 17:05
Ooops burnt the kids chips doing that list!
22/11/2013 at 17:13

7lbs of banana chutney cooling in jars.    

Slices of Kabocha squash roasting.  A big bulb of Florence fennel quartered and braising in some buttery stock.  Two big fat pork chops waiting to be introduced to the hot pan for a sizzle 

Hefty Hedgehog is hibernating cosily in his little wooden house. 

Knitting is nearly sewn up - OH is home from work - it's been a lovely day here - hope you've all had a lovely day too 

22/11/2013 at 17:53

Evening everyone

Beautiful day today. Sat on the dunes overlooking the beach amd it was WARM   Took photo of the beach .....may post on camera corner if good quality.  

Finished my bonfire ......smoke drifted a little despite lack of wind so I apologised to my neighbour.  She had  her washing out.......oops!     But it's ok because I had taken my own in   (will have to wash my clothes tho as they stink of smoke.  Hope my neighbour doesn't have a fire tomorrow!!). 

Will get cold tonight    But....sunny again tomorrow 

22/11/2013 at 17:56
Did you get a new camera or are you using the iPad you bought Verdun?
22/11/2013 at 18:07

Evening all

have popped in and lurked occassionally, but not posted

Things a bit tricky here at moment with Forums and OH 

Have finally stripped down the settee, purchased the necessary to re build it and am full of anticipation. Love the cutting out and constructing -, bit like what I have done to houses and gardens as well 

very pleased to see I have finally the seasonal smilies 

Hope everyone is OK, Panda, just take it easy and don't push yourself, difficult time of year for that though.

Today has been alovely sunny autumn day, that slight chill, but nothing more - could have done with going into garden but had alist of other things to do that also needed a sunny dry day.

Perhaps tomorrow, but haven't seen the forecast

22/11/2013 at 18:15

H Matty  Good to see you  - 

Verdun wrote (see)

Evening everyone

Beautiful day today. Sat on the dunes overlooking the beach amd it was WARM   ...............

What's that?  I turned the heating on around 3.30!!!

22/11/2013 at 18:23

great day here. cold and sunny . grandkids on the way from wales , for the weekend walked past  two houses with christmass trees up . did the victor meldew bit in the street 

22/11/2013 at 18:54

KEf, yours was a Swiss Cheese… I never found that they tasted particularly nice.. so I made do with bouncing my Rubber Plant up and down stairs. As to a name, I will leave that until the new babe is born. 

22/11/2013 at 19:00

Hi Verdun.  Which part of Cornwall are you?  We've had more holidays in Cornwall than I care to remember.  We were down there last August and visited Poppy Cottage in Roseland and Bonython Gardens on the Lizard.  They are both lovely gardens with plenty of summer colour.  I've found that a lot of the bigger gardens in Cornwall have mainly colourful in the spring, so they were a great find.

KEF
22/11/2013 at 19:02

Woody

Archie, busty time for you, Grandad.

Dove, heating on here...brrrrr

Matty don't understand your prob', but Hi.

KEF
22/11/2013 at 19:03

Archie, busty time might be nice, but meant busy.

22/11/2013 at 19:14

KEF wrote (see)

Archie, busty time might be nice, but meant busy.